PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Once again, falling behind the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your opinion then? That the Jets have passed the Patriots...you guys are set-up towards future better than we are?

I think you are misunderstanding "passed"..the Rats HAVE managed to pass more gas than the Patriots ...or any other team in the NFL...the entire team has set itself up for a very lucrative post-playing days career hawking everything from Dr Scholl's Foot Powder to Gas-X...:eek:

==========================================

Yes and no.

The Jets IMHO have caught up with the Pats, not surpassed, the Jets are set up for the future in as much that I believe in the Sanchize and Tannenbaum's ability to work the cap and to fill positions of need.

Rex is not BB, but who is, still I think Rex is a quality coach and hella fun to have leading the Jets.

BRB maybe 2 hours to flush out some more thoughts.

Where was I,,,,,

The success of the Jets as far as near and distant future fall on Sanchez, he either is a franchise QB or not. If he can have a career like a Aikman, then the Jets are set, If he turns out to be a Hasselbeck, then no.

I believe in the Jets front office and coaching as it now stands, but that doesn't matter if Sanchize craps the bed.

I like the overall talent level the Jets had last season better then the Pats. No disrespect to Brady.

More to the premise of the thread that the Jets are all bluster and are constantly shooting there mouths off. I am fine with that, as long as they continue to improve and win.
I liked Herm a lot, only because everyday there was an outrageous quote by Herm, Made things interesting, I am all about the drama and pre game entertainment of the NFL.

Mangini came to town and played the BB role, I was fine with that if it produced wins, otherwise he was a bore, blah blah blah, Mangini never said nothing and treated the game as it was super secret spy stuff, boring.

Rex on the other hand is tough not to like, I love a man who will answer a question and approaches the game as not overly serious, which it is. I honestly think he is much smarter then he appears or is given credit for, maybe he is a savant.:eek:

Rex just puts it out there what all the other coaches say in private, he plans on winning a SB, surprise who doesn't?

I loved Hard Knocks, Favre, trading up in the drafts, aquiring big name FA's, Rex in your face bold predictions. Jets are the talk of the NFL for good and bad reasons and I am loving it.

Sorry for schizoid presentation of all this.:)

schizoid?...uh..that would be a no...from the DMSR IV..

A. A pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings, beginning by early adulthood (age eighteen or older) and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

1. neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family
2. almost always chooses solitary activities
3. has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person
4. takes pleasure in few, if any, activities
5. lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
6. appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others
7. shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affect

the above entry describes a Gholstonoid...:eek:

in your case I suggest borderline....

Borderline personality disorder is a diagnosis about which many articles and books have been written, yet about which very little is known based on empirical research.[8]

Studies suggest that individuals with BPD tend to experience frequent, strong and long-lasting states of aversive tension, often triggered by perceived rejection, being alone or perceived failure.[n 3] Individuals with BPD may show lability (changeability) between anger and anxiety or between depression and anxiety[9] and temperamental sensitivity to emotive stimuli.[10]

The negative emotional states specific to BPD may be grouped into four categories: destructive or self-destructive feelings; extreme feelings in general; feelings of fragmentation or lack of identity; and feelings of victimization.[11]

Individuals with BPD can be very sensitive to the way others treat them, reacting strongly to perceived criticism or hurtfulness. Their feelings about others often shift from positive to negative, generally after a disappointment or perceived threat of losing someone. Self-image can also change rapidly from extremely positive to extremely negative. Impulsive behaviors are common, including alcohol or drug abuse, unsafe sex, gambling and recklessness in general.[12]

hmmmm...looks like a name change is in order...the NY Borderlinettes...:idea2:

Last edited:
schizoid?...uh..that would be a no...from the DMSR IV..

A. A pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings, beginning by early adulthood (age eighteen or older) and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

1. neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family
2. almost always chooses solitary activities
3. has little, if any, interest in having sexual experiences with another person
4. takes pleasure in few, if any, activities
5. lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives
6. appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others
7. shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affect

the above entry describes a Gholstonoid...:eek:

in your case I suggest borderline....

Borderline personality disorder is a diagnosis about which many articles and books have been written, yet about which very little is known based on empirical research.[8]

Studies suggest that individuals with BPD tend to experience frequent, strong and long-lasting states of aversive tension, often triggered by perceived rejection, being alone or perceived failure.[n 3] Individuals with BPD may show lability (changeability) between anger and anxiety or between depression and anxiety[9] and temperamental sensitivity to emotive stimuli.[10]

The negative emotional states specific to BPD may be grouped into four categories: destructive or self-destructive feelings; extreme feelings in general; feelings of fragmentation or lack of identity; and feelings of victimization.[11]

Individuals with BPD can be very sensitive to the way others treat them, reacting strongly to perceived criticism or hurtfulness. Their feelings about others often shift from positive to negative, generally after a disappointment or perceived threat of losing someone. Self-image can also change rapidly from extremely positive to extremely negative. Impulsive behaviors are common, including alcohol or drug abuse, unsafe sex, gambling and recklessness in general.[12]

hmmmm...looks like a name change is in order...the NY Borderlinettes...:idea2:

===============================================

Haven't had unsafe sex in 27 years, Alcohol and drugs=check, gambling =I am full of win, recklessness in general= not since I got married.

I do like to hang in my garage drink beer, smoke, and surf rival fan message boards by myself, whats that mean?

uh...impending divorce?:eek:

Where was I,,,,,

The success of the Jets as far as near and distant future fall on Sanchez, he either is a franchise QB or not. If he can have a career like a Aikman, then the Jets are set, If he turns out to be a Hasselbeck, then no.

I believe in the Jets front office and coaching as it now stands, but that doesn't matter if Sanchize craps the bed.

As a Jets fan, do you feel confident about Sanchez developing into what you're hoping for?

I honestly think he will never be more than a game manager unless he makes big strides this year. He's had the benefit of alot of talent and a great coach and he is still struggling. Freeman,who was drafted later has shown far more promise and is doing it with either rookies or no-name guys as a comparison.

Last edited:
As a Jets fan, do you feel confident about Sanchez developing into what you're hoping for?

I honestly think he will never be more than a game manager unless he makes big strides this year. He's had the benefit of alot of talent and a great coach and he is still struggling. Freeman,who was drafted later has shown far more promise and is doing it with either rookies or no-name guys as a comparison.

=====================================

First off I am an eternal optimist, so when discussing the Jets I tend to see things through green colored glasses.

Confident in Sanchez, that is not how I would put it, I am confident he has the tools, but honestly I have a feeling his body will not hold up, hope I am wrong. I am happy with his progress for the most part and impressed with the way he has played at times with the clock running out and the game on the line, he has had very good talent around him which helps.

It is not a matter of being better then Freeman, Stafford, etc. It's a matter of playing big on a big stage under huge pressure in games that matter. Sanchez is not nor ever will be the best in the NFL, he is not Brady, Brees, or a Montana, but he could be a Joe Namath or Troy Aikman.

Thats what I am hoping for, an Aikman, and I think he could be, but not entirely confident about that.

==========================================

Yes and no.

The Jets IMHO have caught up with the Pats, not surpassed, the Jets are set up for the future in as much that I believe in the Sanchize and Tannenbaum's ability to work the cap and to fill positions of need.

Rex is not BB, but who is, still I think Rex is a quality coach and hella fun to have leading the Jets.

BRB maybe 2 hours to flush out some more thoughts.

If I were a Jets fan, I would be concerned with a few issues. The Jets acquired Holmes, Braylon Edwards, and Antonio Cromartie the past two seasons, who have been key contributors. It is clear that these guys are not sticking around unless they get paid. So how many of these guys do they keep? They could resign them all, but regardless they won't retain the same value that they had last season. They acquired these key players at discounts, still being paid based on their rookie contracts, as castoffs from their former teams. Other players on the team like Revis, Harris, Ferguson, and Mangold are starting to become much more expensive as they transition off their rookie contracts. All of a sudden, the great value that Tannenbaum had with this score of talent he collected is diminishing quickly. Could they sign Asomugha? Sure, but everyone wants him including teams in the NFC east (Washington anyone?). And Tannenbaum isn't predisposed to spending that much. Then Cromartie, whose coverage abilities are on par, will be the league's consolation prize.

If the Jets don't have a splash in free agency this offseason and do not continue to duplicate the value in the roster they had last year, then they will seriously jeopardize their ability to compete. This is in part why I see them as likely to seek Moss' services. He can be had on the cheap (which has been their style of late) and he knows the Pats' playbook.

But like you said in your next post, it all hinges on Sanchez's progression. He had a qb rating of 75 last year, which wasn't anything to brag about, but was still an improvement over the year before (which is a low bar). It's still concerning that he's throwing so many interceptions with so few pass attempts. Again, he improved over the previous season, but it's still a low bar to set. To contrast with Brady in 2002 (his second year as a starter), he threw 28 TD's and 14 INT's. Perhaps it's unfair to compare to Brady, so let's compare his second year to Flacco's and Matt Ryan's. In their second years, Flacco went 21-12 (TD-INT), which is more comparable because the Ravens run a similar run-first offense (at least in 2009 they did), which was with lousy receivers. Matt Ryan went 22-13 for Td's to INT's. As for these Qb's improvements in their third years, Ryan did well. You can hope that Sanchez plays like him.

Drafting well can always help, which Tannenbaum has been decent with; however, I don't know how much help Jets fans can expect. Not that he's been drafting poorly of late, just that he's been...very average. Since 2008, draftpicks Coleman, Slauson, Keller, and Greene have been contributors, but they lack the luster of Tannenbaum's picks from before. In contrast, the Patriots have been loading up with lots of young talent and don't appear to be relenting any time soon (2 first rounders and second rounders next year).

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Because unlike the fat mouth Jets we don't tell the media everything we do. We are humble and don't worry about what outsiders think.

Agreed - he doesn't like to reveal much to the media, but what makes you think that Belichick is humble?

Agreed - he doesn't like to reveal much to the media, but what makes you think that Belichick is humble?

BB is anything but humble but i think he does want his team to portray that image.

He likes the players to portray a team first mentality and avoids giving opposing teams and the media any ammunition to use against us.

I'll give props to Rex on this issue though....he is great at manipulating the media by taking away the spotlight and blame away from his team. I loved that interview when he said before the playoff game that he wanted it all to be about him vs BB. To keep his guys minds away from the 45-3 beating and to keep the media focused on him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes