PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Once a QB gets a 20+ mil deal, has he/his team ever won a Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenepatsrule

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In the salary cap era has any team with a QB earning nearly 20 mil per year won the SB??. The closest any team has ever come that i can think of are the Pats and this years Broncos. I feel that GMS will stop spending a lot on the QBs and instead spend more on stuffing their teams with top level talent on both sides. This years Ravens and last years Saints are perfect examples of why the QB shouldn't be paid a ton if the team has other glaring needs.

Oh and the 2012-2013 Giants are another example.

Been saying this for years in this forum ...

We won 3 when Brady was underpaid ...

Not a slight on Brady ... it's just simple economics of roster formation.

To Belichick's credit he's almost pulled it off a few times but for a few ill fated plays and injuries.

Brady has taken a pay cut only to have the murderer mess with that space.

Tom has plenty of weapons. He needs a complimentary defense like in the other years.

Purely hypothetical here because it will never be done but if a team is really good at scouting QBs, could they draft a quality QB, Russell Wilson for example, ride him for a few years, tade him for multiple picks as his contract is about to expire then draft another QB to replace him and so on and so on. Teams will have lots of draft picks to build a team around as well as plenty of money to spend on quality FAs. Obvioulsy there will be down periods when you miss on a QB but that just allows you to restock at the top of the draft until you find your next QB.

Brady has taken a pay cut only to have the murderer mess with that space.

Tom has plenty of weapons. He needs a complimentary defense like in the other years.

Who? Gronk is the only legitimate weapon. Tom pretty much made Edelman into an improved version of Welker.

There's still alot of majorly flawed teams that win SB's though. This Seahawks teams is a very rare case. They have a 2nd year QB playing like a borderline top 5 QB, even in the playoffs at a very low price. To their credit they have drafted very well and made timely signings/trades. It won't last long once those rookie contracts run out whether Wilson gets $20M/year or not.

Alot of these rosters that won recent SB's, just to name a few the 2012 Ravens(especially after injuries), 2011 Giants, 2010 Packers (especially after injuries), 2009 Saints, 2007 Giants, 2006 Colts.... if you put them up against some of the rosters we've recently there's not much if any major improvement. I mean alot of those teams were 10-6/9-7 teams. Having $20M tied up in one player doesn't stop you from fielding a roster of that caliber.

Who? Gronk is the only legitimate weapon. Tom pretty much made Edelman into an improved version of Welker.

I wouldn't say Brady made Edelman into an improved Welker. I'd say that Edelman made himself into an improved Welker, and Brady finally got the chance/was forced to use him that way.

Here's a fact worth remembering about Minitron: at the point when he broke his arm against the Titans as a rookie, he was leading all rookies in receptions, and the Patriots were experimenting with a 2-WR set where he and Welker were the two WRs.

My understanding is that facts cannot be used to support an argument.

There's still alot of majorly flawed teams that win SB's though. This Seahawks teams is a very rare case. They have a 2nd year QB playing like a borderline top 5 QB, even in the playoffs at a very low price. To their credit they have drafted very well and made timely signings/trades. It won't last long once those rookie contracts run out whether Wilson gets $20M/year or not.

Alot of these rosters that won recent SB's, just to name a few the 2012 Ravens(especially after injuries), 2011 Giants, 2010 Packers (especially after injuries), 2009 Saints, 2007 Giants, 2006 Colts.... if you put them up against some of the rosters we've recently there's not much if any major improvement. I mean alot of those teams were 10-6/9-7 teams. Having $20M tied up in one player doesn't stop you from fielding a roster of that caliber.

Winning a Super Bowl is hard, because it involves making the playoffs and then having enough random or semi-random events fall your way that you do not lose three or four times in a row. With such a small sample of plays making the difference between victory and the end of a season, it's hard to say that even a 'perfect' team will win the Super Bowl in any given year.

Purely hypothetical here because it will never be done but if a team is really good at scouting QBs, could they draft a quality QB, Russell Wilson for example, ride him for a few years, tade him for multiple picks as his contract is about to expire then draft another QB to replace him and so on and so on. Teams will have lots of draft picks to build a team around as well as plenty of money to spend on quality FAs. Obvioulsy there will be down periods when you miss on a QB but that just allows you to restock at the top of the draft until you find your next QB.

That's interesting. That's moneyball right there! Who has the guts to do that?

Well, I think they should raise the salary cap!

Well, I think they should raise the salary cap!
People will do what Revis and Brees did, ask for the max money possible , This scenario probably doesnot help. :)

This doesn't seem overly complicated. Seattle's formula is not just a QB playing "above" his salary; they have many young players doing the same at other positions. QB is key, but the formula can be repeated with a large number of young players and low cost FA's playing above the market rate for their positions.

The Pats were almost there on defense until the injuries to, ironically, the two most important highly paid guys.

The Seachickens have had some pretty excellent drafting in the last couple of years. In case anyone hasn't figure it out, you build a team through the draft because it's the cheapest route. You plug holes with free agents.

Seattle have until Sherman, Wagner, Thomas, and Wilson are free agents to fill their trophy cabinet.

Seattle/san francisco will come back to earth once kaepernick/russel wilsons rookie contracts are up.

they benefit from paying their starting QB's something like what? under a million? so they can load up on defense, offense.

but once those guys are due for nice big pay-raises they are going to have to make some tough decisions.

Manning had weapons out the wazoo and did nothing last night. Weapons didn't seem to help in SB 42 either. Start with big time improvement on the DL and interior OL before even thinking about "weapons"

The economics of the salary cap - especially given the flat cap that has existed since 2010 or so - makes it very difficult to spend 16% of your cap on any one player. If you give a couple of guys big targets and they underperform, you are screwed. Every team has to find bargain values who significantly over-perform in order to compensate. The best way to do that is to have draftees on their 1st contract perform at a pro bowl level. Seattle has had Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas all do that.

I think you can make an argument that you have to think very hard about giving any player a contract over $10M/year AAV.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but this is why the new CBA makes draft picks so incredibly valuable. Draftees are locked into deals at way below what the market would bear.

On a semi-realted topic, I think we screwed up our cap situation when we signed guys like Wilfork and Mankins (even Mayo), who play non-premium positions, to long term deals. I like the philosophy of rewarding guys we drafted and developed who do things the right way and present low risk moving forward, but I think we need to do that at left tackle, corner, defensive end, and qb. Not at guard and defensive tackle. Obviously, we screwed it up even further by rewarding a psychopath with a long term deal.

Bottom line: we have nowhere near the talent the Seahawks have. We need to get bigger, faster, stronger, younger, and cheaper.

The economics of the salary cap - especially given the flat cap that has existed since 2010 or so - makes it very difficult to spend 16% of your cap on any one player. If you give a couple of guys big targets and they underperform, you are screwed. Every team has to find bargain values who significantly over-perform in order to compensate. The best way to do that is to have draftees on their 1st contract perform at a pro bowl level. Seattle has had Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas all do that.

I think you can make an argument that you have to think very hard about giving any player a contract over $10M/year AAV.

I wonder how much the fact that QB success is usually tied very closely to team success and that good ones are usually locked up through their prime has to do with the correlation. By the time a QB is getting paid their team has had a stretch of sustained success and the system is working against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back