PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On TV: Bill mic'd up for the Phins game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not the kind of person that is easily star struck. I've been around a few sports and entertainment celebs and never thought it was a huge deal... Except the one time I was in the same room as BB I swear I almost passed out.

Yes, I like that man.

He's mine, you slut!

Anyone else find it interesting that in that entire 5:00 clip there was not a single play shown or bit of BB audio on any offensive play? I would have thought there might have been a good quote or something on the long Moss TD.

i think this needs to be analyzed by us a lot more....

we all thought that the "scheme" was to give cushions....and the "scheme" comes from pees....

now we have bb telling cb's that were giving cushions to wr's to press and jam them....

going against what the cb's were doing at the beginning, why the hell didnt the cb's do that since the beginning? and why did BB have to tell them so many times?

do the cb's have ultimate control of how they cover a wr? the only specification is dont get beat deep, and after that its up to the cb' to decide how tight he feels confident in playing?

this vid might give us an answer to one of the biggest enigmas on this board

You are absolutely correct. That was a mindbender for me, and is causing me to rethink how I see the D. This is worthy of a new thread.

You are absolutely correct. That was a mindbender for me, and is causing me to rethink how I see the D. This is worthy of a new thread.

I do think this board sometimes, when it talks about coaching, has a complete disconnect with the fundamental issue: ultimately, the coach is not on the field, only the players are. Players persistently and frequently break from how they were coached -- even players who play for a very strong coach. Every player has a certain level of "coachability." The notion we seem to have -- that a player who doesn't "listen" to his coach immediately will be taken to the woodshed or cut simply doesn't work that way. Sure, there are some circumstances where blatently ignoring the coach will get you in the dog house. If the coach calls blitz, and you don't, you're in trouble. But football is way more nuanced than that.

Football -- like every sport I guess but more so -- is ultimately a game of deception. Defensive players must be reactive. You want a player to be coachable, but I don't think even the most seasoned and excellent defensive coach wants any defensive player to be a slave to coaching. It's a balance. You tell a player to stand in a certain place during a certain play, but you also want him to be able to read when the play is changing and not to continue standing there when he could make a play. At the same time, you don't want a player, in the name of "reaction" to leave his post and give up a play.

Offense is much more rigid with respect to coaching. Playing defense is way different. Coaching is about preparation and playing is about execution. A good coach puts the player in the right position and teaches him to react or what to expect, and also has a much more significant sense of what the other 10 players are doing, so the player can't just be a free agent. But it's a shared responsibility, and the bottom line is that players need a decent leash. Sometimes, like in the video, they decide what they are going to do. It happens all the time, and the coach has to walk a very fine line between demanding rigid adherence and letting the player be reactive, which BB seems to do pretty well.

Anyone else find it interesting that in that entire 5:00 clip there was not a single play shown or bit of BB audio on any offensive play? I would have thought there might have been a good quote or something on the long Moss TD.

Yeah, I noticed that, but remember there's also a lot more to work with. I remember one of these clips from 2007, I think, where the offense was on the field, while BB was coaching the D, and paying absolutely no attention to what JMcD and TFB were doing.

But I'd have loved to see his reaction when Gostkowski sent the rekick into the endzone. . . . :(

Last edited:
They had some of the same stuff on NFL Replay last night with some other stuff and it showed Belichick go up to Brady right after the 1 second was left on the clock at the end of the half.

Paraphrased, it went like this :

Belichick : You were watching the clock on that, right ?
Brady : Yeah, there was 12 second left on the clock I thought we could get the play off.
Belichick : But there was only 5 second left at the snap. OK (to end the conversation).

Tommy knew he got caught with his hands in the cookie jar on that and Belichick reminded him - gently but he probably knows Tommy likely won't make the same mistake again.

They had some of the same stuff on NFL Replay last night with some other stuff and it showed Belichick go up to Brady right after the 1 second was left on the clock at the end of the half.

Brady : Yeah, there was 12 second left on the clock I thought we could get the play off.
Belichick : But there was only 5 second left at the snap. OK (to end the conversation).

Tommy knew he got caught with his hands in the cookie jar on that and Belichick reminded him - gently but he probably knows Tommy likely won't make the same mistake again.

That was very interesting for me- how BB brought across his message in a way that was peer-to-peer, rather than coach-to-player.

I don't know how much of it was influenced by the knowledge that he said it fully knowing he was mic'ed up. I'd hope not.

That was very interesting for me- how BB brought across his message in a way that was peer-to-peer, rather than coach-to-player.

I don't know how much of it was influenced by the knowledge that he said it fully knowing he was mic'ed up. I'd hope not.
I think it's because it's Brady and he knows all he needs to do is bring it up and Brady will know. Although Belichick doesn't look like much of a yeller (at the players) on the sidelines. He seems to raise his voice to the officials or when he's coaching on the bench and has to yell over crowd noise.

I was actually surprised that Brady tried to defend it, with the "12 seconds thing". A more appropriate response would have been "yeah, I almost blew that one, I won't do that again, coach" :D

Last edited:

i bet it made BB's infamous film session on monday in front of the team

i thought he did say "We need a drive here fellas " "We are going for iton 4th down" etc .But yes...quite insignificant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back