PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On this Day in 2002: Pats Def Rams 20-17 to win SB XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually felt a little bad for Summerall, who was really babbling at that point about his role in "that other championship game that went to overtime." Then they showed tape of Vinatieri warming up before the game and Summerall says "well, he missed that one" ... when the kick they showed was dead center.

I remember calling my non-fan wife downstairs to watch the kick. She humored me by doing so. (She had also come down for the amazing halftime show by U2, which simply will never be equalled.)

I had chills when they came out together as a team rather than individually and thought for the first time that they may pull it off. I was jumping around like a 5 yr old when AV's kick went through the uprights.

True story.

**** Stockton of Fox Sports was living in our building in Manhattan back then. I happened to bump into him at the elevator as he was on his way to New Orleans for Super Bowl week and we started talking. He knew I was from Boston and we had talked Boston sports once in a while when we ran into each other. I remember asking him, "Hey, ****, do you think we have a chance against the Greatest Show on Turf?" I'll never forget his reply, "If the Patriots come out and hit them in the nose from the very beginning, they're going to win the game." Truer words were never spoken.

True story.

**** Stockton of Fox Sports was living in our building in Manhattan back then. I happened to bump into him at the elevator as he was on his way to New Orleans for Super Bowl week and we started talking. He knew I was from Boston and we had talked Boston sports once in a while when we ran into each other. I remember asking him, "Hey, ****, do you think we have a chance against the Greatest Show on Turf?" I'll never forget his reply, "If the Patriots come out and hit them in the nose from the very beginning, they're going to win the game." Truer words were never spoken.

Just read that he and Leslie Visser split up after 27 years of marriage. Too bad.

Never tire of watching that final drive. Think if I live to be 100 there will never be a moment to beat AV's kick splitting the posts. Still brings a tear to my eye :rocker:

The whole time I was thinking "They spiked the ball with too much time left". They spiked with 7 seconds left, and I was thinking that even if AV made the FG, they'd still have to kick off to the Rams/Az Hakim with a second or two remaining.

So oddly, I didn't go too crazy when the kick went through because I was still expecting to have to kick off. Then I watched the clock tick down to :00, and by that point the field was swarmed. From there it was kind of this huge "No Way!" feeling that came over me that the Pats just won the Super Bowl.

Ahhh, the memories!
What I remember from the game:
Ty Law's pick-6 ( I'm seeing it like it was yesterday)
Adam's kick. My hands went up and started screaming when it was half-way there.
WTF, moment when five seconds were not played.
Brady with his hands on his head in a sea of confetti (to this day, that image gives me goosbumps).
Afterwards: Listening to Madden eating **** for the next couple of years.
Bewildered by the media hyping the NY Yankees playoff win against Oakland as "one for the Gipper" (9-11). Note: Yankees lost the World Championship while a team dressed in Red, White, and Blue, called the Patriots won the World Championship.

Never tire of watching that final drive. Think if I live to be 100 there will never be a moment to beat AV's kick splitting the posts. Still brings a tear to my eye :rocker:

I have Gil Santos' call of the final moments on my iPod. :D. Never gets old.

I was so happy that day. Interesting that the clock ran all the way down after the FG, though.

Another thing. Today is also the anniversary of SB XLII. Feb.3. A yin-yang of days for Patriots fans.

That was the fifth best day of my life. Wow, 9 years past already. Life moves too fast.

interestingly enough feb 3 2013, the SB returns to new orleans .

That was the fifth best day of my life. Wow, 9 years past already. Life moves too fast.

It was one of the best days in my life as well, right behind my son's (Brady) birth and getting married. And yes, time does go by too fast.

I remember it was the day after my friend's 18th birthday, hungover, sitting on the edge of the couch watching the final drive amazed that we may be able to pull it off and another friend screaming NOOOOOOOO! as AV's kick sailed through the goalposts. Apparently his boss is/was a Rams fan. lol long week for him at work that week

Bono's serenade at halftime was prophetic. It was A Beautiful Day. Still smile like a fool every time that comes on the muzak system when I'm in the supermarket...

Since then it's all been gravey for me. They don't owe me a thing. And yet they've given me a whole lot more.

I heard that song on the radio last night as I waited for my 2 kids after ski club. I was at the game and I remember how much I liked that song. I will always associate it with that great game and great moment in Pats history!!

obviously biased but by far the best SB ever.

EVER...

The whole time I was thinking "They spiked the ball with too much time left". They spiked with 7 seconds left, and I was thinking that even if AV made the FG, they'd still have to kick off to the Rams/Az Hakim with a second or two remaining.

So oddly, I didn't go too crazy when the kick went through because I was still expecting to have to kick off. Then I watched the clock tick down to :00, and by that point the field was swarmed. From there it was kind of this huge "No Way!" feeling that came over me that the Pats just won the Super Bowl.
All this time I thought I was the only one that thought that way. I even thought they were going to put a couple seconds back on the clock - for a second I was even concerned they might get a delay of game penalty and push the kickoff further back.

All this while at the very same time jumping up and down, screaming non-stop. My kids were looking at me with big smiles - half happy for me, half look of concern that I had totally lost it.

Ninth Anniversary of Patriots' Super Bowl Win Over Rams Reminds Boston of Unforgettable Championship Run - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Aside from that game being the start of a great run by the Patriots, I had forgotten that it not only ended a championship drought for Boston sports teams, it sparked one of the best multiple-sport championship runs any city or region has ever seen: three teams winning six championships that decade.

Keep in mind that at this time, an entire generation of fans had grown up in Boston without seeing much from the Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins or Celtics. The Pats made it to that Super Bowl, but Desmond Howard and Brett Favre shattered New England's dreams. The Sox had gone just 5-20 in the playoffs since losing the World Series in '86, the Celtics failed to make the playoffs from 1995-2000, and the Bruins hadn't played for a Cup since 1990. Unlike the current mentality in Boston, the city was hardly in a championship state of mind that February.

Then, there was the game. Ty Law's interception, Antowain Smith's 92 rushing yards, David Patten's touchdown catch ... it's all blurred in history as the opening act for Tom Brady and Adam Vinatieri. Shortly after John Madden told the world that the Patriots should take a knee and try their chances in overtime, Brady authored perhaps the most memorable moment in Boston sports history.

After a short pass to J.R. Redmond, another quick one to Redmond, a spike and yet another pass to Redmond, the Patriots were still on their own 41-yard line with 33 seconds left to play. It wasn't until Brady hit Troy Brown on a crossing route that New England could fully believe. A completion to Jermaine Wiggins, just for good measure, set the stage for Vinatieri's legendary boot.

As the ball sailed through the uprights, it ushered in a new era for the city of Boston. Championships, for a stretch there, became the norm and not the exception. The Red Sox were winning and the Patriots were winning. Eventually, the Celtics were winning, too. The seven years that followed was an unprecedented period in sports for once city, one that likely won't happen again.

You Tube - Final drive of Super Bowl 36

I heard that song on the radio last night as I waited for my 2 kids after ski club. I was at the game and I remember how much I liked that song. I will always associate it with that great game and great moment in Pats history!!

As a U2 fan who has seen the band 30+ times live (I know...strange) I really can't think of days that were more perfect (except wedding, kids born) than that one.

Last edited:
Did anybody else cry when Adam's kick sailed through and the clock hit zero? I couldn't even celebrate; I just cried.

Like said before, i can't believe how fast time has gone by.

I remember exactly where i was. I was probably the happiest i have ever been...father jumped so high he almost broke his finger. Ugh i want that feeling again...

I was lucky enough to be on site in New Orleans.

A few thoughts:

- I'll never forget all the security heading into the arena. We got inside super early and then had a long wait until game time.

- Sat downstairs near the 50 about 25 rows from the field. Sounds like great seats, right? Not as great as it sounds because a good chunk of downstairs is under an overhang and it felt like being in a cave. Not complaining -- one of the best days of my life -- but it was a big surprise to be in that position. I would have preferred anywhere upstairs as I hate that cave feeling.

- Right before the the Law pick, I turned to the guy next to me and said "we absolute NEED a defensive score to win this game." BINGO. Amazing feeling. I didn't predict it but I thought it was very possible and then it happened.

- Half time. U2 playing. No way I can sit there and watch. I mean, I love U2 -- who doesn't? -- but the Pats are up 14-3 in the damn SB. I was too tense to watch a concert. Went and took a piss and got a beer during half time. Concert Shmoncert.

- When Tebucky scored, I felt a sense of joy that I had never experienced watching sports before. "We JUST WON THE F'ING GAME!!!" And then to have it called back...such a bummer.

- Watching the Rams tie it up felt so much like so many other near misses in Boston sports. Red Sox, too many. Pats, Ben Dreith. Bumming!

- And then that drive. I felt pretty good throughout and when Troy caught that pass. Turned to my friend with a "I think we're winning the game!"

- When the ball went through the uprights, I screamed "They can NEVER take this back from us.....CHAMPS"

- The Rams fans in New Orleans just couldn't get over how happy the Pats fans were. They were looking at us as if we were circus animals. It was like they had no connection to such sports devotion. I remember one guy near us who was a total doosh....but the rest of them were classy and seemed genuinely happy for us.

- Took a charter plane back that night to Boston. Ray Bourque and his family were on it. I had expected us to party and dance down the aisles and boy was a I wrong. The whole plane -- about 150 people or so -- went almost right to sleep. Except me. I'm sitting in my chair replaying the entire game.

- Next day I get e-mails and calls from SO MANY people wishing me well and congratulating me. Some people I haven't heard from in years. Really nice stuff.

What a great set of memories.

Last edited:
- Next day I get e-mails and calls from SO MANY people wishing me well and congratulating me. Some people I haven't heard from in years. Really nice stuff.

Great post.

You reminded me of how SO many people came out of the woodwork to congratulate ME for my team winning the SB. Like I did anything. But at the same time, if felt like I had somehow accomplished something, and I was so happy to take those calls and emails.

They congratulated me again in 2003, but not quite as much.

By 2004 they were sick of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes