PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On The Rise: Doug Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.raiders.com/newsroom/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=24025

The Raiders.com On the Rise series is back for 2006. Household names? Not yet. The Oakland Raiders have infused the roster with a bevy of talented young players who are taking advantage of the team's heralded veteran leadership and are starting to or are preparing to make names for themselves. Log on each week as we take a look at these players, where they came from, how they got here and where they're going. These are the players to watch and get to know because they are definitely On the Rise. The series continues with a look at WR Doug Gabriel.

Raiders WR Doug Gabriel says, "I want to show everyone that I can be electrifying." Not only has Gabriel proven his talents and dedication to professional football, but has he also made his presence felt. In 2003, Gabriel was drafted in the fifth round by The Oakland Raiders. With a 6'2", 215-pound frame, Gabriel's game features elusive quickness and break-away speed. His work ethic and strength can only benefit the Raiders in the years to come.

Born and raised in Miami, Florida, Gabriel said, "I started playing football at five years old." Growing up, Gabriel's mom carted young Doug around from practice to practice. "I've played everything from football to basketball to baseball," he recalled. His well-rounded athletic experiences have certainly helped make him into the true athlete he is today.

Gabriel decided he wanted to further his football career and joined the University of Central Florida's football team. While at UCF, Gabriel perfected his talents and became a highly-touted wide receiver. "Nothing can prepare you to play professional football," Gabriel said. Although, Gabriel's college experience gave him the opportunity to develop and become a much stronger and faster player, it was also a time when Gabriel could prepare himself physically for the future. He finished his collegiate career with 97 receptions for 1,869 yards and 20 touchdowns. By 2003, Gabriel was about to find out if he was ready to play professionally.

Since being drafted in 2003, Gabriel's presence has certainly been felt. Over the last three seasons, he has 71 receptions for 1,122 yards and five touchdowns. In 2005 alone, Gabriel added 37 receptions for 554 yards and three touchdowns to his career statistics. "Each season gives me the chance to improve and become a better player," Gabriel said. Not only does Gabriel have great potential as a wide receiver, but he also has developed at the kickoff return position. Overall, he has had 86 kickoff returns for 1,850 yards and one touchdown. In 2005, he returned four kickoffs for 64 yards. He currently ranks 7th on the Raiders all-time list as a kickoff returner.

Gabriel's versatility as a player will only further his success as well as that of the Raiders organization.

Gabriel's versatility as a player will only further his success as well as that of the Raiders organization.

According to Gabriel, the off-season won't be so much of an off-season. He is already looking ahead to the 2006 season. "I will be looking at tapes of games and keeping in shape. I want to show everyone why I am a professional football player, Gabriel explained. "I want to be electrifying. I want to be like lightning." With his devotion to the sport and willingness to improve, Gabriel is the type of player who will hold true to his word.

"I love Oakland. I love the fans." Gabriel's love for the game, as well as the team, will only garner more success in the future. Gabriel's dedication and relentless persistence for excellence is sure to help the Raiders achieve their goals. Keep your eyes on number 85, you will be sure to be electrified.

wow very impressive

DB15 said:
wow very impressive

Whats so impressive about it? Just an article from a local guy trying to promote EXCITEMENT into their fan base. Sure, it sounds wonderful, but lets wait and see how well he picks up our schemes, how well he gels with Tom, how well he gets along with the FO and whether or not he even wants to play for this team.
Also, are we going to sign him to a new contract or are we going to let him play the one hes on and have problems with him one or two yrs down the road. Sorry, I guess I am just extremely jaded when it comes to the WR position right now. Most of them are all primadonna bastards. Not just DB either.
Let's just see if he can truly share the ball with the rest of this spread offense and truly be ELECTRIFYING. Definately a good trade though. Let's just keep in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back