PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On pace for worst sack performance in 12 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said last year, if we're just going to let guys catch every pass thrown, why not blitz on every play? It could barely yield a worse result than we are seeing. I'm really confused by our defensive play calling. If your secondary isn't the greatest why don't you at least try to help them out by getting to the QB?

Have you watched the Jets this season. One of the teams in the league who have had more problems getting to the QB than the Pats are the Jets. The Jets have 9 sacks for the season and they got four of them yesterday (several in garbage time). They don't generate much pressure either. Go to any of the Jets boards and they are all complaining about how the Jets give the opposing QB all day to throw.

Jets fans are dumb.

Rex, for all the dumb stuff he does, is a good coach when he schemes a defense on obvious passing downs.

They did a hell of a job on Luck. And he's a way better QB than Russell Wilson.

Matt Patricia has no creativity whats so ever. It's like he's playing real life Madden just choosing a set of plays in a situation, with no modifications or adjustments to get after/confuse the QB. Dude needs to get demoted

Hell, at least Ask Madden has the option to go for an AGGRESSIVE playcalling option.

Jets fans are dumb.

Rex, for all the dumb stuff he does, is a good coach when he schemes a defense on obvious passing downs.

They did a hell of a job on Luck. And he's a way better QB than Russell Wilson.

I have watched a lot of Jets games this year and last year and they are not wrong. The Jets are not getting a lot of pressure on opposing QBs at all. Even their sack leader last year, Maybin, got most of his sacks on coverage sacks where Revis forced opposing QBs to hold onto the ball for 5-7 seconds and Maybin would get easily blocked initially and then come back from out of nowhere to make the sack.

Also, I have seen the opposing teams starting to use the overloaded blitz against the Jets. You have seen a lot of draws or screens getting huge gains running away from the overloaded sides.

Rex's first two years, the overloaded blitz has worked great. Last year and this year thus far, not so much.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats blitz more, but the Jets' defense is not a defense to emulate. They are average at best and give up more points than the Pats do even after holding the Colts to 9 points yesterday. Yesterday was the first time they consistently pressured the QB all season (or really in the last two seasons).

Last edited:
That was my concern coming into the season. Even though we had a great draft, I'm still not sure if we 'upgraded' a horrible defense at all.

Jones may be an upgrade over Carter but Carter was still fantastic last year. Nobody is there to replace Anderson's production. Hightower was a good addition to the LB crew. It about evens out.

The secondary is still a hot mess right now, still don't know what exactly we have with Dennard, Dowling, and Wilson so there may be an upgrade there but we haven't really seen it yet. Gregory hasn't been all that impressive when he was healthy.

So unfortunately what we may be seeing here is 2011 all over again.

Last edited:
I have watched a lot of Jets games this year and last year and they are not wrong. The Jets are not getting a lot of pressure on opposing QBs at all. Even their sack leader last year, Maybin, got most of his sacks on coverage sacks where Revis forced opposing QBs to hold onto the ball for 5-7 seconds and Maybin would get easily blocked initially and then come back from out of nowhere to make the sack.

Also, I have seen the opposing teams starting to use the overloaded blitz against the Jets. You have seen a lot of draws or screens getting huge gains running away from the overloaded sides.

Rex's first two years, the overloaded blitz has worked great. Last year and this year thus far, not so much.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats blitz more, but the Jets' defense is not a defense to emulate. They are average at best and give up more points than the Pats do even after holding the Colts to 9 points yesterday. Yesterday was the first time they consistently pressured the QB all season (or really in the last two seasons).

My point was that we could use some creative blitzes to mix things up. A good mix of blitzes or different cover schemes would only help our secondary. It can't get any worse than what our secondary has shown.

Jets fans are dumb though.

My point was that we could use some creative blitzes to mix things up. A good mix of blitzes or different cover schemes would only help our secondary. It can't get any worse than what our secondary has shown.

Jets fans are dumb though.

I agree with both points especially the Jets fans being dumb, but I wouldn't emulate the Jets' defense other than that they try to build a team with a strong secondary.

you cant get sacks if the receivers are geting open in under 2 sec, sacks and pass coverage go hand and hand they have to help each other

tha is not what was happening yesterday. not sure if you noticed, but wilson averaged better than 18 yards per completion. it takes a hell of alot more than 2 seconds to make most of those plays.

Carter has played one game this season and, so far, as one assisted tackle.

I'll be surprised if he regains last year's form at any point this season.

What really hurt them, IMO, was Fanene not panning out because they don't get much of a pass rush at all from their interior DTs.

Agree. However, a non-run blitz would help. Don't forget Myron Pryor, if healthy, should help on the base packages (PUP).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots