Welcome to PatsFans.com

On Immigration: Good for her!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Now here's a woman who's got her head on straight, in my humble opinion:

June 21, 2007, 11:07PM
    Hutchison to vote against reviving stalled immigration bill

By MICHELLE MITTELSTADT
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas, who has been under intense pressure from the White House and Republican leadership to support a sweeping immigration overhaul, nevertheless announced today that she will vote against reviving the legislation when it returns to the Senate floor next week.

She was joined today by the state's other senator, Republican John Cornyn, who had been expected by the bill's supporters to take such a stance. They had aggressively lobbied Hutchison in hopes of adding her vote to the 60 necessary to revive the stalled legislation.

"I could not support (bringing the bill to a vote) in its present position," Hutchison, criticizing the legislation as amnesty for illegal immigrants, said today.

As No. 4 in the Senate GOP leadership, Hutchison is the highest-ranking Republican to break from her party on a domestic policy issue of signal importance to President Bush.

"Until major changes are made that reject amnesty and a more open, fair process emerges for debating one of the most crucial issues facing our nation, I cannot support this immigration bill," she said.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4910228.html

//

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

One of the few remaining who haven't sold us out on this issue. At least some people have principles. Unfortunately, she is the exception and not the rule. :(

3. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I've always liked Kay Hutchinson. She has an aura of integrity.

//

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

Bush is now so weak he has nowhere to turn. The left pretty much neutralized him and now the right is emasculating him.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

I think he neutralized himself.

6. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's not always a personal thing when one pol shoots down the policy of another from their own party; often times it is the new kid asserting him/her self. In this case, Hutchinson is on the mark, whereas Bush is misguided. Doesn't necessarily means she has "turned' on him.

And I do not believe the Left has done the big score here against Bush; his own failure to see the way is his own legacy. Ie, he's played a poor game; his opponents have done nothing to beat him, he's beaten himself. Sad to see, but it's true.

//

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

The far right turning on Bush has nothing to do with the left (though we'll see in time if more Reagan Democrats return to the Democratic Party). But, the left has been warning people that our Iraq strategy was a mess for a long time, and those warnings have come to pass. That has given the left more credibility with moderates, and is a major reason for the Democratic victory the last time around.

8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

There's no question that the Dems scored massively in '06 due to Bush's poor handling of the post 9/11 situation. But, again, this is 95% Bush's fault, coupled with the usual "do-nothing" approach by most of the Repub Congress. When the Left cries "fire" most people check for their wallets.

The temptation for political "careers" is so bad that so many people in or vying for political office would rather sell out their principles than do what they feel/know in their hearts is best. This goes for both Dems and Repubs; it's a generic problem. The "fatal attraction" of modern day politics.

Worst part is that it exists in every democracy in the world that I have studied; certainly here in Lithuania, in Russia, Germany, France, the UK (their Good Ol' Boy network is the grandaddy of them all: the "House of Lords", peerages for sale and that lot. Bloody corrupted.

//