On "Class"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
There has been a lot of blather about "class" and "running up the score" this season. I'll not go on about the 04 Colts, the 98 Vikings, or the fact that a few minutes less of Brady playing might slightly decrease his chance of injury.

I'll just go right to the "class" issue.

In the first couple of weeks of this season, the New England Patriots were branded "cheaters" by the pundits, based on Cameragate. This was fine. There was a rule. The Pats broke it. I personally say, hell, if that's not cheating, all we have is a definitional argument. Fines paid, draft pick confiscated.

Asterisks, for those who believed the Camera to be the Key, applied.

There was no disproving any allegation, any assumption. So the fact that you couldn't prove the assumption either, wasn't important.

Hence, we saw Runo Mahe, Donovan McNabb, Jerome Bettis, and others, either saying outright they had "won" games they knew they had lost, or strongly implying it. Everybody we'd beaten for years suddenly came out of the woodwork with the Mother Of All Excuses: we didn't lose because we sucked, we lost because of the CAMERA! Give us our rings!

Well, gentlemen, this terrible, thuggish, loutish, ungentlemanly, inconsiderate point-scoring behavior in 2007, might be interpreted as your proof.

To coin a phrase, we are what you thought we were (until you started with the excuses.)

And the 2007 New England Patriots are leaving no doubt as to whether or not the game was the result of a camera.

Did any Redskins finger the Pats as "big fat cheaters?" No? Tough. They are, then, the victims of their own ineptitude combined with the rest of the league's ill-advised choice of impugning our teams' play over the last six years, based on an infraction that has been proven to be of middling importance at best.

Hate us, hate us, hate us. Revel in it. Embrace your hate. Drink the hateraid, take a vacation on Cape Hate-er-ass. Better hate than never. Hate-of-the-art... knock yourself out. It keeps feeding us.

...because the 2007 Pats know, and are not forgetting, that the NFL wallowed in their "righteous" disrespect for everything the Pats have achieved through hard work and focus, which those other teams could not achieve.

Was it "classy" to write off 6 years' of play, based on an unquantified suspicion?

Not an issue, if the assumptions were true, all around the country, made by players and fans alike. What if the Pats weren't that good?

Well, the rest of the league is learning the answer, game by painful game. The Pats were that good, and it was a grave, grave mistake to extrapolate from the infraction itself, to the kinds of conclusions they were drawing. Because now the Pats have to prove they're that good, all over again.

Know what? I don't think I ever heard Belichick talking about "class."

I have heard him say "it is what it is" dozens of times.

Belichick might be one individual more concerned with the truth -- the truth of what his guys accomplished -- than with bullsh*t ex-post-facto notions of what "class" means.

He'll never say that, of course, though the new arbiters of "class", from Lady Tom last season to the Redskins last week, will take any opportunity to repeat their allegations of "classlessness" -- oddly enough, after they lose games.

Know what else I've never heard? A team that won a game claiming the team that lost had no "class". It's always the other way around.

And I predict that this year, with very few exceptions if any, team after team will have occasion to pontificate about the relative level of "class" with which the Patriots destroyed them.

Thanks for telling us how we "should" have beat you, guys.

Deal with how we did.

PFnV

Holy F-ing CRAP. Bravo. Kick-ass. Well done. Ha ha. F you.

class is that feeling you get when you're with a special girl!
class is finding that perfect wave!
It's following all the rules!
vrrrrrttt

Fans of the game know what the Patriots have done, and still respect it, no matter what team they root for. Media hype will come and go, but what the team has accomplished will stand.

And the 2007 New England Patriots are leaving no doubt as to whether or not the game was the result of a camera.

No doubts. If you go to Dallas and win by 3 TDs, build a 52 point lead on the fifth rated defense in the league, bolt to a 35 point first half, and basically make very few mistakes, I guess that says it all.

Maybe they have INVISIBLE cameras. Best cheating EVER.

Well done write up.

My only issue is with you guys is that plenty of people around here loved to at previous times talk about the colts turning up the heat in the dome, Polian changing the rules, Merriman's Steroids, A-rod having no class whatsoever, Giambi being on steroids in the 04 ALCS and so on.

But when people call the pats on the carpet for something, the response is unbelievable. You've played the no respect card for 6 years, and once again you get to play it again this year because you broke the rules and (gasp) the media ran with what you have to admit is a very big story. You guys have really thin skin over here.

Good luck, and may God above intervene on February 3rd. :)

"We'll run up our score
and run down your score
... so that you can see the truth."

Sounds good to me.

Well done write up.

My only issue is with you guys is that plenty of people around here loved to at previous times talk about the colts turning up the heat in the dome, Polian changing the rules, Merriman's Steroids, A-rod having no class whatsoever, Giambi being on steroids in the 04 ALCS and so on.

But when people call the pats on the carpet for something, the response is unbelievable. You've played the no respect card for 6 years, and once again you get to play it again this year because you broke the rules and (gasp) the media ran with what you have to admit is a very big story. You guys have really thin skin over here.

Good luck, and may God above intervene on February 3rd. :)

Well thanks very much. I'm of the personal opinion that God helps football teams that help themselves, for the record :)

Point taken, re: Merriman and the 'Roids, etc. However...

I live in DC, and Michael Wilbon has just come out supporting the idea of other teams going out intentionally trying to injure Jonathan E, er I mean Tom Brady. And he's serious.

This isn't being thin-skinned, this is pure observation. I've never seen so much hate directed at one team, even in the heydays of the Cowboys and 9ers.

As stated above, I'm fine with it. Bring it. Confuse yourselves with it, fuel yourselves with it, it does not matter. Short of intentional injury schemes a la the original Rollerball, what we're seeing so far is that the Pats can make more hay by standing up to the hate, than other teams can by embracing it.

And the beauty part is, this week we've got the "Choir Boy" Colts... I've seen the game framed as "Good Vs. Evil."

And the Good Guys are out to break knees...? Oh, not the Colts... but I've heard off-hand talk about how Brady should just be injured this year than I can shake a stick at.

You know, because he's got no "class."

Thin-skinned? Nah. Realistic... anyway, thanks for stopping in. If you're a Colts fan, it should be a good one this Sunday.

My hope? A hard-played game, no talk of "class," grudging respect both ways, and no injuries, either side. Hate's optional, but fine with me.

PFnV

Great Post; great thread. You are articulating what lies in the heart of Patriot Nation right now.

i don't think many people (besides Easterbrook) would say Brady doesn't have class.

I think 90% of it is aimed at your coach, who has done plenty of things to give himself the bad guy image.

On a side note, Borges must be going bonkers that a) the pats are so good and b) he can't get the word out...

Hence, we saw Runo Mahe, Donovan McNabb, Jerome Bettis, and others, either saying outright they had "won" games they knew they had lost, or strongly implying it. Everybody we'd beaten for years suddenly came out of the woodwork with the Mother Of All Excuses: we didn't lose because we sucked, we lost because of the CAMERA! Give us our rings!

I find this laughable-opponents in Philly have recently reported how their audio communication went down at critical parts of the game, including Chicago(at the 2 minute mark AND with NO timeouts)-Guess what, a Griese lead O STILL scored the winning TD.:singing:

And BTW-am I the only one who thinks XL was *fixed*?:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing