PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On Butler's interception - what was Hightower doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest with you guys, I thought Butler was in the process of dropping the ball, I'm wondering if Hightower was trying to help secure the ball. After the pick, its almost like Butler is bobbling the ball and trying to switch hands, as he goes to the ground, it almost looks like his own leg starts to knock the ball out. I almost felt like he was losing the ball, which would have been an incomplete pass, Hightower jumps on him and the ball never comes out. I think the pile and camera angle blocks any view of a possible drop, and honestly I thank God that it did. I almost expected a challenge, but the camera angle and pile up would have made the call on the field stand, because honestly, its almost impossible to see if Butler comes to the ground with or without possession of the ball. Amazing catch by Butler regardless, considering the simultaneous violent collision with Lockette.

After looking at the pics in http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/great-pick-pics.1117459/, I agree that Hightower was most likely just trying to be around the ball, perhaps even catching it off a bobble to finish the INT if needed.

G5J4bj8.png

I can't find a good gif of it but as this progresses you see Hightower actually grab and move Butler's arm. Even though I know it all works out ok, every time I watch I wince at the thought of Hightower making Butler fumble and what our lives would be like today.

There's a great gif in this article by John Fraley on Fieldgulls.com - what Fraley calls the "gif of pain". :D I think it's pretty clear.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-...e-game-bevell-carroll-everyone-else-so-stupid

Best. Play. Ever.

... Butler actually had at least one foot at about the 1 yard line when he made the catch, then the collision knocked him back into the end zone and he stumbled forward.
Yeah, I noticed that as well and it looks like Butler had each foot for a split second on the ground outside the endzone after he made the interception. So, I have wondered, had he come down in the end zone, whether the ruling would have been a Touchback because his momentum carried him into the endzone or a Safety because he had gone from the one back to the endzone.

Most people out here seem to think that it would have been ruled a Touchback, but if Hightower was trying to get him out of the endzone, it might have been a smart play if there was any doubt in real time.

Great breakdown. I see Lockette able to make that with crisper execution.

It was the perfect play:

- The Pats had perfect defensive position: 7 in the box against Seattle's six man line, 3 CBs in man on the 3 WRs, Hightower off the LOS. Collins or Hightower able to match up on the TE if he comes off the LOS.
- If BB calls a timeout, the Seahawks likely adjust and get a TD. If the defensive coaching staff don't substitute Butler for Ayers at the last minute, it's likely a TD.
- If the Pats don't execute perfectly, the Seahawks likely get a TD. Revis took Baldwin out of the play, Browner fought through Kearse's jam, and Butler anticipated the play and moved aggressively to beat Lockette to the ball.
- If the Seahawks execute better, it's likely a TD. If Kearse does a better job jamming Browner, or Lockette makes a better cut, or Wilson positions the ball slightly better, then there's not much even perfect defensive execution can do.

There's a great gif in this article by John Fraley on Fieldgulls.com - what Fraley calls the "gif of pain". :D I think it's pretty clear.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-...e-game-bevell-carroll-everyone-else-so-stupid

Best. Play. Ever.
Damn, I wish that guy posted on our board! I don't know which aspect of this analysis I respect more highly: its excellent quality or the very fact that he was able to review a painful play in such agonizing, micro-second by micro-second detail.

I particularly appreciate that he is willing to be critical of Wilson (whom I think has been let off the hook far too easily for this play) and give credit to Belichick, whom he says he does not want to face again in a game like this. He is one of the few observers who have noted that BB outcoached Pete by not calling a time out and going all-in on his D.

It was the perfect play:

- The Pats had perfect defensive position: 7 in the box against Seattle's six man line, 3 CBs in man on the 3 WRs, Hightower off the LOS. Collins or Hightower able to match up on the TE if he comes off the LOS.
- If BB calls a timeout, the Seahawks likely adjust and get a TD. If the defensive coaching staff don't substitute Butler for Ayers at the last minute, it's likely a TD.
- If the Pats don't execute perfectly, the Seahawks likely get a TD. Revis took Baldwin out of the play, Browner fought through Kearse's jam, and Butler anticipated the play and moved aggressively to beat Lockette to the ball.
- If the Seahawks execute better, it's likely a TD. If Kearse does a better job jamming Browner, or Lockette makes a better cut, or Wilson positions the ball slightly better, then there's not much even perfect defensive execution can do.

Yes to everything.

This is now one of those plays that will be analyzed as part of training at every level of the game: from the NFL to High School for two reasons:

1) To teach the fine points of the play itself (as you summarize them in your comment).

2) To teach the importance of preparation and "doing your job" for every player on a team, no matter what his position because you never know when the opportunity will present itself to "make the play."

In one of the threads in the week or so before the SB, when people were speculating on who mike make a play to win the SB, I remember that I posted that I thought it would be someone whose name we seldom mentioned on the Board...a guy down the depth chart.

I keep looking at Collins in the endzone after the pick. Everyone is losing their minds, and he looks like he's enjoying a stroll through a quiet park. I laugh everytime I see it.

My favorite reaction is Chandler's.

Anyone who saw it with him miked up knows what I mean. I did something similar around my house when it all happened, but I made my wife delete it from her phone.

To be honest with you guys, I thought Butler was in the process of dropping the ball, I'm wondering if Hightower was trying to help secure the ball. After the pick, its almost like Butler is bobbling the ball and trying to switch hands, as he goes to the ground, it almost looks like his own leg starts to knock the ball out. I almost felt like he was losing the ball, which would have been an incomplete pass, Hightower jumps on him and the ball never comes out. I think the pile and camera angle blocks any view of a possible drop, and honestly I thank God that it did. I almost expected a challenge, but the camera angle and pile up would have made the call on the field stand, because honestly, its almost impossible to see if Butler comes to the ground with or without possession of the ball. Amazing catch by Butler regardless, considering the simultaneous violent collision with Lockette.

I agree with everything you wrote, except there WAS a video review (automatic). In the in-stadium vids you can hear the Pats fans go nuts again when Vinovich announces the call on the field stands.

I agree with everything you wrote, except there WAS a video review (automatic). In the in-stadium vids you can hear the Pats fans go nuts again when Vinovich announces the call on the field stands.
Good call, you're right, they look at all turnovers and scoring plays, especially with in the last 2 minutes. Thank goodness there was no controversy on one of the greatest defensive plays in SB history, I've watched the play 100's of times, still gives me goosebumps.

BTW, NFL Films botched that last play by using military marching music for it.

But THIS guy hit a grand slam on it. Just watch from 41:35 until the end and tell me THAT is not the greatest use of music ever. I still cry my eyes out watching it.

Last edited:
It was the perfect play:

Agree. it really is a pretty safe play. Any corner but big Browner gets pushed into Butler's path. still works if the route is crisper, ball is towards the back shoulder, then the guy who's already playing like a hero sees the play he was beat on last week and say's not again! lol

Play call was actually good for a yard. Very unlikely interception and incompletion leaves them in good position.

I notice Hightower almost knocking the ball out also when I watch the replays and wince every time even though I know the outcome!

Great job by Butler on the interception but also a great job in securing the ball when Hightower almost knocked it out. Butler was a beast in the 4th qtr. Undrafted rookie playing like a Hall of Famer.

I think some here are giving Hightower a bum rap. He didn't grab Butler's arm, nor did he come close to knocking the ball out. Here's a different angle of the play. It zooms in a bit at the end and you can see what happens.

WpgyI0G.gif

I see...he was trying to grab the ball in hopes of getting it to Tebow somehow, right?

I think some here are giving Hightower a bum rap. He didn't grab Butler's arm, nor did he come close to knocking the ball out. Here's a different angle of the play. It zooms in a bit at the end and you can see what happens.

WpgyI0G.gif

The same thing is clear from the gif in the Fieldgulls article that I linked above, from a different angle.

BTW, NFL Films botched that last play by using military marching music for it.

But THIS guy hit a grand slam on it. Just watch from 41:35 until the end and tell me THTA is not the greatest use of music ever. I still cry my eyes out watching it.

Outstanding video. I believe that was made by vuudu from this board.
XCQnIia.gif

I don't think we need to over-think it. In my mind he was trying to stop him falling out of the endzone. Getting the ball on the one yard line is never ideal when you lose a yard by kneeling out a game.

Fortunately they bit like hell on the triple head bob!

Best. Play. Ever.
From the article:
3. As the .gif loops, keep your eyes on Lockette after the cut. Look at that windy path to the goal line. Another tenth of a second wasted, maybe more. When Lockette arrives at the half-yard line to meet the ball and catch the title-winning pass, he's the second guy there because of Butler's more direct route.

That "windy path" is courtesy of Browner, who jammed his guy just enough that Lockette had to go around his own teammate — a split second that made all the difference. Lots of credit has been given to Browner on that play, but I haven't seen anyone else mention that aspect, the very slight rerouting he forced Lockette into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots