Welcome to PatsFans.com

On adultery, Edwards cites McCain

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

He also, in explaining his view that his dalliance could remain private, cited Republican John McCain's reported affair at the end of his first marriage almost three decades ago.

"What I was thinking was this was something that was personal to my own family," Edwards said, citing other public figures having survived extramarital affairs. He recalled, he said, having heard "John McCain talk about the mistakes that he’s made in his past with respect to his first marriage."

"I’m not the first person to do this," he said.

Edwards also heatedly denied that he's the father of Rielle Hunter's daughter, and explained his visit to see her in a Los Angeles hotel.

If you're wondering what exactly Edwards is referring to, perhaps it's this:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-divorce11-2008jul11,0,6546861.story

McCain, who is about to become the GOP nominee, has made several statements about how he divorced Carol and married Hensley that conflict with the public record.

In his 2002 memoir, "Worth the Fighting For," McCain wrote that he had separated from Carol before he began dating Hensley.

"I spent as much time with Cindy in Washington and Arizona as our jobs would allow," McCain wrote. "I was separated from Carol, but our divorce would not become final until February of 1980."

An examination of court documents tells a different story. McCain did not sue his wife for divorce until Feb. 19, 1980, and he wrote in his court petition that he and his wife had "cohabited" until Jan. 7 of that year -- or for the first nine months of his relationship with Hensley.

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

What a scumbag (Edwards that is). Of course Patters would have to start a thread on a loser who blames everything, and everybody but himself. I had this guy pegged from day 1. There are losers, and then there are ambulance chasing, lying, illegitimate child fathering, two america frauds like this clown...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Character:
    1 Like Clinton, all the lying (until they get caught)
    2 If they do these things to their own family what will they do to us.

Mccain is no bargain, all he has going for him in my book is his war record and he only has that because he was captured.

Obama/Mccain not worth going out of the house to vote.

There are many, many more Edwards/Clinton/Craig/Nixon's out there, politicians are worse than the scum in Hollywood.

Edwards will now pay the price and so will his Poor Wife & Children he like Clinton will go down in history as Disloyal Scumbag Whore Mongers, that is all the worthless swine will be remembered for, they did nothing for their country or their families, most all politicians are just like them they just haven't been caught yet.

GOD DAMN AMERICA (spiritual advisor to a future president)

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Actually, Edwards adamantly denied he is the father and publicly has stated his willingness to take paternity tests. That said, what I'd like to emphasize to people like you, who more than likely will vote for McCain if you vote at all, is that McCain has some of the same flaws you criticize fiercely in others. I also want to remind Harry Boy of that.

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

McLame will NEVER get my vote. The last election was the last time I'll ever vote for the lesser of two evils. I'll either vote FOR somebody, or for a 3rd party. That being said, why would anyone ever believe what a scumbag loser like Edwards says? His wife was recovering from cancer, and he's out boinking some bimbo he met in a NYC bar. Then after denying it for years, and saying the last time he was with her in 2006, he's in a hotel at 3 AM with her 2 weeks ago, holding the baby! The man had fraud written all over his forehead from when he first opened his mouth. Good riddance!

7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Patters, I know Mccain has the same flaws, 99% of those politicians do, I won't vote Mccain I'm staying home, I don't know why so many people are concerned about who the father of the kid is the point is he was "screwing her" while his wife was home worrying about dying, the man is garbage.

Again, like Clinton, it isn't so much about sex, it's about character, betrayal, lying, dishonesty and complete disregard for the wife and children, and also again, if they do these things to their own loved ones they certainly don't have any problem screwing the people that vote for them.

Imagine what his wife is going through right this minute, what does she think of the slimey bastard when she gets into bed beside him and turns the light off, what does she think when she watches him comb his hair and leave the house, if he says he is going to the store can she ever believe him again.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

People who cheat on their spouses are weak scumbags. However, I feel those issues are personal and why they are public issues is ridiculous. We publicly know of many sex scandals over the years ... and perhaps it's just 10% of them that got caught.

9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Can Patters not see the difference between "cheating" when you're separated and waiting for divorce to be final compared to what Edwards did ? That's not to say what McCain did should be applauded but there is a vast difference here.

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

He's a democrat, if it were Romney, Huckabbe or God Forbid Jeb Bush, the NYTimes would have it on the front page for the next twenty years.

11. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

I still have not figured out why all this cheating stuff is in the news ... some of our greatest Presidents were horny sex fiends ... like George Washington for instance. What one does with their d!ck is much different than what one does for their country, state, city or town.

BTW ... @50% to 70% have cheated on their spouse ... why are policticians supposed to be perfect? So I guess we need to choose our leaders from the other 30% or have then nutured.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Yes, and I also see the difference between lying in a book (McCain) and coming clean (Edwards). At any rate, the bottom line is that both McCain and Edwards committed adultery, but I don't judge a political leader by his private sexual failings.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Coming clean when you're photographed by the National Enquirer.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

Kind of like those guys that discover the bible when they are in jail.

kind of like those people that suddenly become sorry at sentencing time.

Being busted is great for telling the truth when you're a slimeball.

Oh honey ... I'm not cheating on you ... I'm learning gynecology

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Kind of like Nixon doing the right thing and resigning (after he got caught)

It's not the (private sex thing) IT'S THE BETRAYAL, THE LYING, THE DISLOYALTY AND THE CHARACTER OF THE MAN, if these people turn on their own family's their own loved ones and have no shame, they lie and cheat, then what kinds of things does a person like this do on the Job that the American people have entrusted them with, Edwards Is A Scumbag Piece Of Sh!t just like the dirtbag Clinton, I wouldn't let either one of them step on my lawn, vermin pig dogs and they will pay dearly in their legacy, their names in the history books will be "Sh!t Bums"

The whole country is praying for Edwards wife, she is dying and she has to suffer this humiliation on top of her cancer pain.

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

You can trust Sen. Edwards. He’s not like the others.

You gotta give the mainstream media credit. The bow-tied bumkissers really do believe in “don’t ask don’t tell,” at least as long as it’s a liberal Democrat whose scandal they’re turning a blind eye to. This time the broadsheet curs didn’t even pretend to investigate. And when the National Enquirer finally dragged out the truth, the J-school sycophants immediately pronounced it a “personal tragedy.” Funny, when Newt Gingrich cheated on his cancer-stricken wife, it wasn’t a personal tragedy, it was a national scandal.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/op..._much_even_for_a_moonbat/srvc=home&position=3

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

After the Nixon Campaign, I used to break and enter, went before the Judge and told him "Dick did it".. the rotten bastard threw me in jail without regard for my justification..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Has McCain come clean regarding the contradiction in his court records versus what he wrote in his book? I think court records are if anything more valid than the National Enquirer. Also, I think these types of issues expose the right's prurience as much as it exposes their moral self-righteousness. For instance, the way a member of this forum has belittled his wife and women by joking about his relationship with his one breast neighbor is just the kind of hypocrisy I'm talking about. I am far more interested in having a good president, then in the president's private life. What Edwards and McCain did was wrong, but of little importance to me. That said, I certainly recognize the political value of attacking them for their moral turpitude.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I don't care. And I have no idea. I just think it's funny how you celebrate every time something like this happens to a Republican. You are a partisan joke and an embarrassment as a moderator.

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Many Republicans are hypocrites when it comes to so-called traditional values. I like to point out that hypocrisy. From my perspective, the fact that McCain and Edwards were adulterers is bad, but I'm more concerned about their ethics as public officers. For instance, McCain's role in Keating 5 is a bigger concern to me than the fact that he cheated on his first wife after she suffered a disfiguring accident. Although what he did was repulsive, I judge a politician primarily by his politics. The fact that Obama has not cheated on his wife certainly makes me respect his internal fortitude more, but I'd still support him over McCain even if he did cheat.

Knowing the way you embrace traditional values, it makes sense that I draw attention to McCain's adultery. I think the fact that McCain cheated on his first wife is far more serious to you than it is to me, and will make you a little more reluctant to give to his campaign and to vote for him. Unless of course you're a hypocrite.

Now, I have no idea what my views have to do with the way I moderate the forum. It's been quite awhile since I (or FTW) last did any moderating here. There's been no need.