Welcome to PatsFans.com

Omission or Addition? A Tale of Two News Sources

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Strange how the same AP story can be the same but different.

Both of these stories hit the wire at the same time - both claim to be from The Associated Press. They're virtually word for word identical except for one glaring difference.

Someone's either leaving out an important piece of news or someone's adding their own information....either way it's spin at it's worst and a good reason for people to use more than one source if they're looking for the truth.

Gov't Arrests Illegal Immigrant, Registered Sex Offender Working for US Senator, But Covered It Up Before Election - Robert Menendez - Fox Nation

AP Exclusive: Gov’t arrests illegal immigrant, registered sex offender working for US senator - The Washington Post
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +305 / 3 / -13

I don't really care much about how the story was reported....but I do care that a US politician employed an illegal alien. He should be forced to step down just for employing an illegal alien.

Illegal aliens have no right to do anything in US politics because they're illegal aliens. He should be impeached immediately.

Moving forward, let's make sure no illegal aliens are working for any of our polticians. And that includes cutting their lawns or whatever.

PR
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

In that case you can go ahead and start a thread about impeaching politicians who employ illegal aliens....this is a thread about the media and the biased ways that they report the news.

How can you make any kind of rational or valid judgement about what should or should not happen in regards to any news story if the news story itself is suspect?
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Impeachment is a word often used, but seldom understood.. it is not a very easy process, time consuming and very expensive..

Due process is a bytch.. there is a lot to prove here, as innuendo trumps any semblance of fact gathering..
  5. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -9

or maybe he would just post it here like he did......

every story is suspect......you just pick and choose based on your political beliefs and make your own uneducated decision which is accurate or not.......business as usual
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Even when people point it out to you?

I checked further on this particular story......the Fox report actually says, at the bottom of it's story, "for full story, see Washington Post," and links to the the one I posted here...which means they had available to them the fact that Homeland Security denied that the arrest was held up until after the election - which pretty much admits they chose to leave that information off - not that the statement from Homeland Security wasn't available to them.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -2

I don't think anyone can change an AP story, other than the AP. It's their trademarked, or copyrighted story, is it not? My guess would be that they are the same story, just different releases. One may be the early version, the other edited later with new, or revised information. Other than that you'd have to ask the AP. Stories do get edited from their initial release.
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +426 / 6 / -7

So, under this logic, Mitt Romney should have never been allowed to run for president?
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -2

Under that logic the answer would be yes. I think that's impractical. If you hire a contractor to do a job, how are you supposed to know if his laborers are legal or not? It's not like you're going to run a check on the employees at a restaurant you order food from, or a hall you plan a party at. That's not the job of the patron/customer, nor is it at all practical. What is reasonable is an employer, or owner of a business, checking to ensure that the people it/they hire, are indeed legal. That they provide the necessary documentation that states so.
  10. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +426 / 6 / -7

I don't disagree, but I'm only operating under PR's logic.

That said, I think it's a little ridiculous to ask a sitting Senator to step down because one of their interns wasn't here legally. I'm pretty sure Senators aren't intimately involved in HR.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +378 / 4 / -2

I don't think it's reasonable either. Someone should be fired though. There shouldn't ever be an illegal interning in a senators office. Someone needs to lose their job, just not the senator.
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

Well they knew in October and sexual crimes are serious crimes so what took so long? Why is editing or lack thereof more of a story than the real story. Someone in that senators office dropped the ball or made phone calls.