Slater (Pro Bowl)
White
Starting OC: Connelly

I'd say this is an impressive haul!

I bet they are not done yet!

Andre Carter
BJGE

Perhaps a former Jets starting safety?

Yep. Forgot about all those guys. Add 'em to the list!

That was the cry after day one. So far, the Pats have signed:

OG - Robert Gallery
WR - Brandon Lloyd
WR - Anthony Gonzalez
WR - Donte Stallworth
WR - Wes Welker (franchised)
TE - Daniel Fells
DL - Jonathan Fanene
DL - Kyle Love
LB - Trevor Scott
S - Steve Gregory

Am I missing anyone?

That was the cry less than 6 hours into FA:D

It's the smart play. You almost won the Super Bowl and you're stocked heading into the draft. Accumulate depth pieces across the board and a take a bunch of fliers on talented guys who, for whatever reason (mostly injury), haven't put it together yet.

You know what else? It removes some of the SB loser "curse" that possibly affects you because you have a bunch of guys who just played 20 games.

lloyd is the only apparent upgrade over last year's team

so it depends on how you look at it

My son's Friday night soccer clinic at the field house was cancelled last minute.

So I figured they had a last minute workout

... little did I know it was more ... so much more.

that cancellation meant nothing ... :D:D:D

Last edited:

An argument could be made that they're also stronger at #3 TE, but I do agree mostly.

You could look at it a few ways: With no picks after the fourth round (yet) this year, BB is using free agency to stock up on depth, perhaps more so than usual.

You could also just say this is the usual BB rummaging through the scrap heap and pulling out some intriguing finds. Several of these signings could go on to make significant contributions; it's also possible that at least half of them don't make the team.

Finally, back to the draft: You could get excited and say "this is the year they move up for an impact player because they got their depth in free agency," but I'll only believe that when I see it.

By most accounts I've read, Gregory will upgrade the safety position.

which ones are those? some out there think he's no upgrade at all...per walterfootball:

Steven Gregory (C-)

"The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Steve Gregory will start at free safety for New England. That's the reason for this bad grade. Gregory was torched quite often in coverage last year, so I have no idea what Bill Belichick sees in him. The only reason this isn't a D, an F or a Millen is because the Patriots didn't pay too much for the former Charger."

yeah...I have to agree that TE depth is pretty important

An argument could be made that they're also stronger at #3 TE, but I do agree mostly.

You could look at it a few ways: With no picks after the fourth round (yet) this year, BB is using free agency to stock up on depth, perhaps more so than usual.

You could also just say this is the usual BB rummaging through the scrap heap and pulling out some intriguing finds. Several of these signings could go on to make significant contributions; it's also possible that at least half of them don't make the team.

Finally, back to the draft: You could get excited and say "this is the year they move up for an impact player because they got their depth in free agency," but I'll only believe that when I see it.

Adam Schefter just Tweeted this:

@AdamSchefter: In a stunning announcement, the Pats have signed every available free agent left.

which ones are those? some out there think he's no upgrade at all...per walterfootball:

Steven Gregory (C-)

"The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that Steve Gregory will start at free safety for New England. That's the reason for this bad grade. Gregory was torched quite often in coverage last year, so I have no idea what Bill Belichick sees in him. The only reason this isn't a D, an F or a Millen is because the Patriots didn't pay too much for the former Charger."

Well, if Walter Football and the Union-Tribune are saying it, it must be true!

Well, if Walter Football and the Union-Tribune are saying it, it must be true!

LOL....lets jus tgo with the springtime euphoria

he was signed......he must be better

Better than whom? Ihedigbo? Brown? Barrett?

Yes, I agree he likely is better.

Yes, it does depend on how you look at it.

8 FREE AGENT IMPROVEMENTS
DE Fanene over Ellis
WR Lloyd over Branch
WR Stallworth/Gonzalez over Ochocinco/Underwood
TE Fells over having no #3 TE
OG Gallery over Thomas
S Gregory over our #4 safety (a succession of street free agents)
(most would even say Gregory over Ihedigbe, although that isn't necessary)
DB Cole over Jones
(Cole is camp fodder but may be better than Nate Jones)

While the signing of Scott was NOT an improvement, he was still a good acquisition.

Last edited:
That was the cry after day one.

Was it? I've heard a bunch of people complaining about how that was the cry after day one, but I was here on day one, and I didn't see a lot of that. Care to point out some examples?

Seems like you're just arguing against a strawman, TBH. Outside of a few of the standard malcontents, pretty much all of us know how this FA deal works.

Last edited:
Was it? I've heard a bunch of people complaining about how that was the cry after day one, but I was here on day one, and I didn't see a lot of that. Care to point out some examples?

Seems like you're just arguing against a strawman, TBH. Outside of a few of the standard malcontents, pretty much all of us know how this FA deal works.

Every time a big free agent was signed by someone else, people cried on the board, and on the radio. Some people just like to *****.

Damn cheap skates!!!

You must have really been drinking and posting that day to miss all the cavetching. You don't remember people asking if Papa Genoes delivered to the bridge everyone was jumping off of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back