PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OMG. Steelers out. Saints out. Packers out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swore I would be on a high all day today after last night, first playoff win in four years, and I will start worrying about the Ravens tomorrow. But I remember Feb 2008, and I was there against the G-Men this year. IF we are in the Super Bowl, and IF it is a rematch, the O-Line has to have the game of their life. If you can contain the front four, the Gianta will have to send in the extra guy, and that is when Brady can do his thing. On defense, let's just hope that last night wasn't just bad competition, and we are jelling.

That said, let's get back to the task at hand. The Pats can beat this team. Ravens don't have the qb and receivers to shred them, and I don't think that the Ravens D can cover all our guys.

X Factor - Can we get someone on the outside besides Branch? That is KEY. Two passes for 25 yards that is all I ask.

Four teams left - someone is going to win - IT COULD BE THE PATS!!

Of all the teams left, the only team i can see beating this patriots team IF the pats play good/great are the giants. That's it.

I welcome the Giants. I think the Pats, after losing twice in a row to them, will be prepared for them this time. Revenge!

Two quick things:

(1) Why are we talking about the Super Bowl? The Pats have their toughest test of the year coming up. Just getting to the SB would be a tremendous achievement.

(2) Ok, I'll take the bait anyway and offer this: One reason to be optimistic about the Pats' chances against the Giants is because the Pats finally figured out what works against NY and put up 17 fourth-quarter points. Except for the last second possession with virtually no time on the clock, the Patriots scored 20 points on their last four possessions:

7 plays, 19 yds, FG (missed opportunity for a TD, but still got points)
7 plays, 80 yds, TD
9 plays, 53 yds, FG
9 plays, 64 yds, TD

Of course, the Giants scored two TD on their last two possessions as well, so that's the reason to be pessimistic.

But again, first things first...gotta beat Baltimore.

I don't care about this so-called revenge factor, the Giants play us tough and I do not want to play them again. That said, there is only one gun-slinger left standing, and he plays for our side.

You wouldn't consider Eli a "gunslinger"? He had 4933 passing yards this season, to go along with 29 td. He has passed for 4000+ yards each of the past three seasons. His last 3 seasons here are his seasonal averages:

4319 yds, 29 td

His completion percentage is much lower than Brady's, and he throws more INT, but the guy chucks the ball down the field and gets results. He's a damned good QB who has come up huge against the Patriots the last 3 times he's played them.

It's weird that people still don't see Eli as elite. If you don't, you really just have Brees, Brady & Rodgers in that club.

Elite to me is relative to the rest of the league. Eli has shown he can be money in the playoffs, and during regular season games that have high stakes.

If he's not elite, he's pretty close.

You wouldn't consider Eli a "gunslinger"? He had 4933 passing yards this season, to go along with 29 td. He has passed for 4000+ yards each of the past three seasons. His last 3 seasons here are his seasonal averages:

4319 yds, 29 td

His completion percentage is much lower than Brady's, and he throws more INT, but the guy chucks the ball down the field and gets results. He's a damned good QB who has come up huge against the Patriots the last 3 times he's played them.
this post has been edited

Last edited:
It's weird that people still don't see Eli as elite. If you don't, you really just have Brees, Brady & Rodgers in that club.

Elite to me is relative to the rest of the league. Eli has shown he can be money in the playoffs, and during regular season games that have high stakes.

If he's not elite, he's pretty close.

Eli is definitely Elite. He isn't consistently elite, but when it matters most, he brings the good stuff. All of this "inconsistent eli" is a moot point in the playoffs.

Pats need to beat the Ravens to get to the Superbowl! I feel they can definitely do it! Brady does not force the ball up like Yates does and he has more weapons in the arsenal to rely on. Most important is OL blocking and they did great against Denver. Pats efense also stepped up their game.

I am afraid I am more concerned about the Ravens and the upcoming game than speculate how the Pats fare against the 49ers and the Gints.

4319 yds, 29 td

He is not in the same sentence as Brees, Rogers, his brother, and Brady. Eli threw for more yards then Rogers in the regular season. Maybe that is why Marshall Faulk thinks Eli's the better qb. My definition of a gunslinger is results orientated. Thus, INT and % are included in the equation.

I couldn't take another SB loss to the Giants. I really think it would kill me.

Yeah, if its giants/pats, the pats better smoke them.2008 still hurts...

I'd be so damn confident if we faced Sanfran in the SB. Smith does not scare me at all. They have a good defense but advantage still goes to Brady.

Out of all the teams left...Giants are the last team i want to play...man they are on a mission...

There is nothing I would rather do then serve the Giants with some poetic justice in the superbowl. After we beat Balt, lets go Giants. I want revenge!

Everybody should quit being so negative. I say there is no team left in the playoffs that can stop us. Giants beats us twice in one season? Not gonna happen. Ravens D won't be able to match up imo. Alex Smith vs Tom Brady? No way.

The only offenses that i was afraid of were GB and NO.

I don't want the Giants and I'll tell you why. They are a matchup nightmare for this Patriots team, and even beating them this time around won't make what happened in February 2008 go away. Everything that game meant, everything that season meant, with those guys (Seau, Moss, Bruschi, Harrison, etc) cannot be replicated. The Pats winning this year would be its own thing, particularly in honor of Myra Kraft. For me, unless the Pats either went 19-0, or foiled the Giants' quest for it in the SB, the score won't ever be settled. It won't make it even, not for me. But I don't really care, because I would be miserable if I expected that opportunity to happen again in my lifetime. I just want the Pats to win the SB, that's it. Beating the Giants would be more satisfying than the 49ers for obvious reasons, but I'll take it any way I can get it.

The Pats lost to the Giants without Nicks playing. He is precisely the type of receiver that gives the team fits. Between Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham and that pass rush- the Giants are our worst nightmare.

Facing a non-threat in Alex Smith or a Giants team missing Chris Canty is as favorable as it gets. Much better than potentially having to play Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers (or Big Ben on the AFC side)

Chris Canty??? Really? He's what makes the Giants go, huh? As long as Osi, JPP, and Tuck are bringing the heat, and Eli and those receivers are playing, the Giants are a nightmare matchup for the Pats.

He is not in the same sentence as Brees, Rogers, his brother, and Brady. Eli threw for more yards then Rogers in the regular season. Maybe that is why Marshall Faulk thinks Eli's the better qb. My definition of a gunslinger is results orientated. Thus, INT and % are included in the equation.

Actually, traditionally-speaking, "gunslingers" are guys that fire the ball all over the place. They pile up lots of yards and tds, and also get their share of INT's. Drew Bledsoe was a gunslinger. Brett Favre was a gunslinger. Check out their stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back