PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OMFG @ some of the proposed rule changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the proposed rule changes are just ridiculous.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Mike Reiss said:
Owners will vote on five different rules with a focus on player safety. Perhaps the most notable proposal will be low hits on quarterbacks. Other rules to be voted upon include: 1) Protecting snappers on field goals by not allowing defenders to line head-up on them; 2) Blocks in the back on punts; 3) Preventing teams from loading up one side of the field for onside kicks; 4) Broadening the horse-collar tackle rule.

Protecting SNAPPERS on field goals? WTF?
Preventing teams from loading up one side of the field for on-side kicks? HUH? Isn't that what is SUPPOSED to happen on on-side kicks?

Whomever is proposing these rules needs their head examined. Lets just makes the guys where flag belts instead. JESUS.

Of note, I have no problem with then trying to protect QBs from low hits. However, they need to make hits to the QB a point of emphasis. Way too many QBs too late hits last year. Howeverf, its going to be nearly impossible to enfore the hitting below the knees on a QB because it would eliminate the shoe string tackles where a player gets one hand on the QBs shoe, and knocks the QB off balance.

Also, I have no problem with them broadening the horse collar rule.

I am not sure what is behind the LS rule..I think that would be interesting to find out. But one can not line up with the snapper?? I think the onside kick rule is the dumbest...why?? Isn't that the point to GET an onside kick and is that not fair?? That is truly ridiculous. The QB rule as well...pretty strange. Will be interesting to see what comes of them all.

DaBruinz said:
Some of the proposed rule changes are just ridiculous.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Protecting SNAPPERS on field goals? WTF?
Preventing teams from loading up one side of the field for on-side kicks? HUH? Isn't that what is SUPPOSED to happen on on-side kicks?

Whomever is proposing these rules needs their head examined. Lets just makes the guys where flag belts instead. JESUS.

Of note, I have no problem with then trying to protect QBs from low hits. However, they need to make hits to the QB a point of emphasis. Way too many QBs too late hits last year. Howeverf, its going to be nearly impossible to enfore the hitting below the knees on a QB because it would eliminate the shoe string tackles where a player gets one hand on the QBs shoe, and knocks the QB off balance.

Also, I have no problem with them broadening the horse collar rule.

I would agree with you that the onside kick rules seem strange in particular. I assume that the snapper rule is due to them looking through their legs until the ball is snapped, making it hard for them to get in a position to defend themselves. The problem is that kicks drilled over the LS's head would be even harder to block.

Last edited:
Agree with you on this. Except for the low hit on the QB, therse other proposed rules are dumb. I hope that they are voted down.

There is a rule already preventing people from jumping on the back of the long snapper.

I can see someone saying that the LS is the weakest link to get to the kicker, so make that rule to protect the kicker. Second, the LS is at a disadvantage bcs of the time and energy it takes to snap. He can't get set as quickly. Maybe there have been increasing minor injuries to LS. I could see the league tracking that sort of stat. I am not saying I agree, it is football after all.

Sam Huff and Bronco Nagurski would b!tchslap these namby pamby women trapped in men's bodies coming up with these rule changes. Blame Polian, he's behind all this crap

The onside kick rule is the strangest. Isn't the point of an onside kick to load up one side of the field?

They are also proposing eliminating false starts on WR when they flinch and making holding (or reducing offensive holding calls to be more accurate) a point of emphasis.

Joker said:
Sam Huff and Bronco Nagurski would b!tchslap these namby pamby women trapped in men's bodies coming up with these rule changes. Blame Polian, he's behind all this crap

I second that sentiment. Someone needs to take Polian out to the woodshed.

So if this is in place, what's to stop a back from stepping in front of the snap to run/dive for an easy first down if there is no one over the head of the long snapper?

And once again the only rule I want to see passed is not even mentioned. That would be the one against cut blocks. Too many defenders are having their careers ruined by cut and chop blocks. Time to stop them. And that low hit on the QB is LAME. The very best play in football is the blindside sack. QB's head snaps back, he semi looses conciousness, the ball comes loose. Nuthin sweeter!

Scott37 said:
So if this is in place, what's to stop a back from stepping in front of the snap to run/dive for an easy first down if there is no one over the head of the long snapper?
Beat me to it. Isn't that the play Izzo screwed up yr before last?

Putting more teams in the playoffs bites leave it alone but no Kansas City crys again. KC just learn how to win!!

shirtsleeve said:
And once again the only rule I want to see passed is not even mentioned. That would be the one against cut blocks. Too many defenders are having their careers ruined by cut and chop blocks. Time to stop them.

* They passed a rule in 1991 that they no longer could pass any rules that were seen as helpful to the defense.

PatsSteve1 said:
shirtsleeve said:
And once again the only rule I want to see passed is not even mentioned. That would be the one against cut blocks. Too many defenders are having their careers ruined by cut and chop blocks. Time to stop them.

* They passed a rule in 1991 that they no longer could pass any rules that were seen as helpful to the defense.

Helpful to the defense? WTF??? We're talking about player safety! Just ask any one of those guys with their knees blown out? Or are they only concerned with offensive player safety, and defensive players can go to hell??!!

Scott37 said:

The long snapper would have to get the ball touched by somebody else before taking it in (I think.) As I recall, the Center Sneak works that way - he snaps it to the point where the QB touches it, and then he's eligible to take the ball himself. Wouldn't work too well for a long snapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back