Welcome to PatsFans.com

Olympia Snowe will Back the Health Care Bill..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 13, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

And a shytstorm will ensue...

Olympia Snowe votes 'yes' on health care bill - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com

And Rush Chimes in about the "the voice of the new castrati"... I know he did not really say it or mean it..
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Hopefully it won't pass. The unintended (or maybe intended but not made clear to the public) consequences are not good and will cost most of us a ton of money. At the end of the day, they're just moving money and "who pays for it" around without doing anything to lower costs. Without lower costs it doesn't matter how they shuffle the money around. There's some details that people aren't thinking of though. Like the "Cadillac Plan Tax" is pegged to CPI not health care inflation so over time more and more health insurance plans will become "Cadillacs", even those which are now "Fords".
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Just read in Money Magazine, that this plan willl not increase the deficit... but who knows.
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

That doesn't mean it's free. It will be paid for with significant tax increases and Medicare cuts. Medicare cuts are a strange idea given that it's already in serious trouble. They're hiding many of the tax cuts by taxing the nasty insurance and medical companies; but, of course, those taxes will be passed on to the consumer which is why we'll all pay more in the end.
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is what Republicans in general call compromise:

When Obama ran it was single payer. That's long gone, sacrificed on the alter of bi-partisanship. A month ago the plan Obama proposed would cost 900 billion over 10 years. That's gone now on the same alter of bi-partisanship.

Now we have a plan that's revenue neutral.

Do we get Republicans saying "Well the other side has met us more than 1/2 way, maybe its time for us to give a little?" No we certainly don't get that. We get mainstream Republicans furious that so much as one of their members has broken ranks.

Thanks for nothing there GOP. I plan to Email all of my reps and remind them of what cloture is. Compromise is for when you have an 'other side' that's willing to give something.
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

A complete lie being fed by insurance companies, to the same masses who ate up the 'freedom fries' and WMD garbage.

In every industrialized nation with universal care, they pay much less as a % of GDP than we do, and their people live longer too.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's not because of insurance companies. If our health care total cost should be lower - have at it, lower the costs. But don't pretend that the 3% profit margin of insurance companies is the reason.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

who cares?

The insurance industry dug its own grave with the released report yesterday saying that the Baucus Bill would raise premiums by 111%, and the only way for that bill to drive down costs is to get EVERYONE under the umbrella.....

(cough) single payer (cough)

the report was almost comical.

This bill was dead the day it was introduced, so getting ONE republican to vote for it and claiming bi-partisanship is utter dumbness....

can we please get TERM LIMITS?????
  9. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It is due in large part to insurance companies. Most profit-first insurance companies don't mandate useful preventative therapies or tests, because when expensive complications actually happen they try to use all sorts of legal language to get out of actually paying. Have you ever looked at how lucrative their industry is?

Industrialized nations with universal care practice all avenues of preventative medicine, which not only increase life, reduce complications, but overall cost much much less.

The two are related. There is a link between industrialized nations with universal care, and with longer life spans.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

3% ?????

how about 400% over the last 8 years?

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/52745

even the suggested consessions by those hwo looked at the study say its ONLY 249%

you are only 397% off or 246% off.....

wow....I wonder where all of the money is going with our raised premiums, and rationed care????
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

I agree that some action needs to be taken right now. But I'd say this is one of the toughest major policy decision in modern US history. There are many implications to each proposal and EVERYTHING is unknown territory.

Whatever action that is taken better be the RIGHT one. If it results in sky-rocketing taxes (for anyone), then its the wrong decision. If costs keep soaring, it was the wrong decision. And if medical care gets worse (for anyone), then it was the wrong decision....that is tough stuff folks!

I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were in her shoes....
  12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I said profit margin not profit increase.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Preventative care can largely be done at home with diet and exercise. The whole "preventative care" thing is just a buzzword. I had to start getting colonoscopys early to to a family history of colon cancer and even though I'm younger than the normal 50 years old my standard insurance (Blue Cross) covered that preventative procedure with no problem.
  14. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This is a bad bill. Penalizing families 1,500 bucks for not carrying insurance. Not requiring employers to provide insurance. I am not a proponent of Universal Health care , but this bill isn't helping anyone out. WHat they are trying to do is, push something through in the Senate and push something through in the House. Then cobble us a nice monster in committee, not good.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

$1,500 is also relatively small compared to health insurance. When you combine this with the "no denial for pre-existing conditions" piece, a lot of people will opt out of health insurance and pay the $1,500 (less for an individual). Then if a significant issue arises they can sign up for insurance with the pre-existing condition. That is another way the premiums will go up for all of us because insurance companies' costs will go up but they won't get additional customers to offset it. They may well end up with less customers.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

hahahahahahahhahahha!

okay...whatever you wanna call it....

just ignore the massive profits, rising stock prices and golden parachutes....
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's not "whatever" when what I said was completely different than what you said. Insurance companies have long had a 3-4% profit margin.

profits.bmp (image)
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

you are ignoring the gouging...at a percentage rate at over 250% at least.

so YES its a 'whatever'

I'm obviously not the person who is gunna show you the light, so....

whatever
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +285 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

3-4% profit margin is not gauging. End of story.
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

okay....whatever you say.

BF,

you know I respect yourt opinion and all. I think of you as a smart cat, but how much longer are your gunna pull the rope for these insurers?

They offer NO service but to be a middle man moving billions of dollars and profiting off the denial of coverage and the denial of care to millions of americans.

Their profits have gone up at a rate of 250% (conservative) yet millions more americans can't afford healthcare, and millions more declare bankruptcies because of medical costs.

what about the 44,000 americans who DIE each year because they don't have it, or can't afford it? why aren't you fighting for them?

at what point will you see the private health insurance industry for what it is...a bully who kills people and doesnt care.

their #1 job is keeping people healthy.....

47Million uninsured and growing

44,000 die each year from lack of care

1 million a year declare bankruptcy.

250-400% PROFIT during the last 8 years

those are REAL #s