PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oline depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I reviewed the play of the Pats O-line in the third and fourth quarters, to see what the play of the others beside the starters looked like.

Kaczur did not play. Britt was at LOT, Yates at LOG, Hochstein played Center until Stevenson and eventually Barthelmes got some snaps. Mrucz played ROG and Hand played ROT.

This was somewhat surprising since I had seen Mrucz at LOG, and Yates at ROG in earlier games. I guess the coaches wanted to evaluate them on the opposite sides.

All of Cobbs runs, except his big one came over the blocking of Britt and Yates. Barthelmes and Stevenson didn't do much but weren't overwhelmed either. Mostly it was stalemate with these guys. OTOH, Britt and to a lesser extent Yates and Mrucz got movement on their blocks and played the game on the defenses side of the LOS.

Hand looks raw but he has some power.

Off the play review, I would say Britt is the swing LOT; Yates may be slightly ahead of Mrucz at guard,but its close.

I would think off this second half, that Britt is the #4 tackle (and a near starting talent, and swings at both LOT and ROT.
Kaczur is a ??
Koppens and Hochstein are the third and fourth interior linemen, after Mankins ands Neal.

And then Yates and/or Mrucz fill out the Oline depending on whether the Patriots carry nine or ten Offensive linemen on the 53.

Regarding the PS, Hand looks best, then Stevenson, and finally Barthelmes. But I wasn't really impressed with any of them. If Steitz played, I didn't notice him.

Light/(Kaczur)/Britt
Mankins/Yates
Koppen/Hochstein
Neal/Mruc
Kaczur/OCallaghan

seems deep enough to me with Stevenson on PS

Focused film reviews are SO rewarding.

I've also had it precisely the way you do ... except that i gave Mruc the nod over Yates.
Now i'm back to neutral on that.

For reasons having nothing to do with the O-line ... but falling out from the D-line ...
i now expect Stevenson to make the p/s ... but not Steitz.
(Before this game, i had them both.)

But the ascension of Sullivan's star ... would seem to push Thomas back onto the p/s,
where he joins LeKevin Smith.

In my book, that makes 8 ...
leaving no room for Steitz.

We'll see soon.

I don't think we need 10 OL's. Almost all rosters have had eight, although some have 9 and some 7. Very few have 10 or 11.

I have O'Callaghan starting with Hoch, Kaczur and Britt as backups. That's plenty. After all, only seven will be active. If there are injuries, a player can be brought up from the Practice Squad which will likely have Stevenson and Hand.

All_Around_Brown said:
Light/(Kaczur)/Britt
Mankins/Yates
Koppen/Hochstein
Neal/Mruc
Kaczur/OCallaghan

seems deep enough to me with Stevenson on PS

The pressure to carry 8 or 9 OL is coming from the LB corps as far as I can see. If your reserves are Hochstein, Kaczur, and Brit, you have Kaczur who has shown an ability to play either G or T spot to create versatility to go with Hochstein's C/G/LS/TE role. Mruczkowski seems to have the edge on Yates with his C playing time for a possible 9th slot, especially if Kaczur needs a little more time to return to full strength.

Stevenson and Hand are ahead for the Practice Squad. Steitz in my mind was tied with Stevenson, but it has taken him longer (kicking around the league, NFLE) to get to the same place, suggesting Stevenson has the greater upside.

Mruc getting cut is likely signed by Cleveland to compete for a C spot. I think Yates doesn't last long on the shadow roster either - not with Green Bay starting two rookies and the NYJ and Bills in rebuilding mode.

mgteich said:
I don't think we need 10 OL's. Almost all rosters have had eight, although some have 9 and some 7. Very few have 10 or 11.

I have O'Callaghan starting with Hoch, Kaczur and Britt as backups. That's plenty. After all, only seven will be active. If there are injuries, a player can be brought up from the Practice Squad which will likely have Stevenson and Hand.

You are probably spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back