Welcome to PatsFans.com

Older Movie, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by fleabassist1, Mar 1, 2009.

1. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I just watched Michael Moores "Sicko" for the first time the other night. Entertaining movie, but where the facts correct?

A quick google search turns up mixed results - the usual left winger websites saying the movie was very factual, the usual right winger websites against.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else enjoy the movie, as entertainment value - not as much political? Anyone have any good sources as to how factual the movie is?
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

I judge it by the man who made it, I think most Americans know what he is, he stumbled onto a Gold Mine by feeding his crap to the people who wanted to hear it just as Limbaugh does, two peas out of the same pod but speaking to different people.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Except for his segment on Cuba (which was over-the-top), his movie was accurate and well done. And, as for most of his movies, he does provide consider info about his sources on his website:

MichaelMoore.com : SiCKO : Checkup on the Facts

I lived in several European countries and found the health service on par with ours. I never met anyone in those countries who wished for a private system like in the US. I think our solution should be like Norway's -- some sort of standard national health care that one can enhance (to get nongeneric medicines, shorter wait on elective surgery, etc.) with private insurance.

I tried finding information on opposition to national health care in foreign countries. It's an awkward thing to look for, but nonetheless I could not find anything. Is there anyone outside the US fighting for a health care system like ours?
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  4. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and I'm glad someone mentioned it because it was mind-blowing imo. Yes Moore goes over the top at times (like boating them all to Gitmo lol) but overall I thought it was excellent, and I'm no big fan of Michael Moore.

I think there are a lot of myths surrounding Universal Healthcare which he successfully debunked, and I don't see how anyone can call OUR system a good one. Our healthcare's being run by HUGE corporations and call me crazy but when I see "huge corporations" my mind screams "corruption".

There are tons of things I wish the govt. would stay out of, but healthcare isn't one of them. With all the uninsured people in this country and the economy the way it is, how many "SICKOS" are walking around untreated because they simply don't have the money to pay for proper medical care? Eww, think about it. :eek: It's in ALL our best interest to make sure our population remains as disease-free as possible-jmho :)

EDIT: My opinion of MM rose when he disclosed that he anonomously donated the money for his worst 'internet enemy's' wife to have the surgery she needed. Big props to him for that!
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +282 / 5 / -8

I agree with everything you wrote, and actually I find Moore pretty amusing, and the rightist hatred of him even more amusing. But I'll say it before the haters do... um, in what sense is the donation anonymous then?

(We're all human... and anyone who makes films for fun and a living is likely to be quite conscious of his own limelight and public image. I don't think it makes the guy evil but it is sort of funny... dude, why did you donate anonymously if you were going to disclose it anyway?)

PS, edited to say: regardless of the anonymity point, the end result is the donation did its work, whatever "spin" gets applied.
  6. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

He made his donation known after the fact. Apparently this arch-enemy wrote a huge thank you to the person who sent in the money, still not knowing who it was. The blog or whatever was shown in the movie. Maybe MM first disclosed his donation during Sicko, I dunno? It was anonymous at the time it was made and received is all I know.
  7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Where any of his "documentaries" factually accurate? Not really. Neither was Al Gore's. But, why let facts get in the way of a good time? :confused2:
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Michael Moore has been known to have Bowel Movements in Wal Mart Dumpsters.

Moore has made millions Trashing the Country that gives him the Freedom to trash that country (a scumbag of the finest kind).

Free Health Care
    When you get something for nothing you get "nothing"

Can you just imagine what free health care in America will be like with that unholy swine infested grinning gang of pigs that trot along behind Aunt Pelosi with their noses rammed up her a$s, can you imagine Harry Reid & Chuck Schumer running your Health Care when you need a Bypass within an hour or you will die. (you'll die, no question about it)

PS
    We have a lot of people in Maine already recieving "free health care" it's called "Medicaid" they get better health care than I do, plus dental.

OBAMA IS WHITE
  9. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I just log on now to balance all the threads out at about 3 stars. :)
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Are YOU ever factually accurate? Why let facts get in the way of your constant and nauseating RW misinformation campaign?

Anyhow, champ... Point to something in each of his films that was a blatant and undeniable lie. I don't mean splicing film, or cutting interview segments short. I mean a general theme that has been proving undeniably fraudulent.

Fraud.
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Bush Haters, Blame America Loons, and MTV Junkies LOVE Tub Of Sh!t Moore's "Sh!t".

OBAMA IS THE FIRST "PADDLE EARS" PRESIDENT
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  12. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What does Universal Healthcare have to do with politics? That's the shame of this forum; it's impossible to have any rational discussion about anything because,without fail, partisinship gets introduced into it:rolleyes:

Liberal,conservative,libertarian,whatever- our healthcare corporations contain as much corruption as any other "institution" in this country. And it's a fact people go to Cuba or Canada to buy their medications because it's so much cheaper. The entire system here is corrupt, sickness-for-profit, and if you don't think illnesses and disease won't spread thanks to unaffordable healthcare you're sadly mistaken.

Who knows if the right solution lies in a free healthcare system, but I can't see how anyone can support the system we have now, that's the point.
  13. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

A doctor's take on Single Payer HC Reform: Daniel P. Wirt, MD: Single-Payer Health Reform

He goes on to make a very strong case. Informative read on the subject.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  14. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yeah, hi :bye2: Let me introduce you to the internet chump. :rolleyes: