Welcome to PatsFans.com

Old time Blue chippers...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by AzPatsFan, Apr 11, 2006.

1. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +236 / 22 / -10

When BB came to the Patriots they had some stars and other good players. Over time, he has brought in others and the pre-Belichick stars are growing old, and leaving or being forced to leave. Let us look back.

Pre 2000 star Patriots:

Blue chippers: Drew Blesoe, Terry Glenn, Larry Armstrong, Willie McGinnest, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy.

Red Chippers: Woody, Kevin Faulk, Chad Eaton, Tedy Bruschi, Henry Thomas

Total: 6 Blue chippers and 5 Red Chippers, for a total of 11.

Now even after the FA losses of McGinnest and Vinatieri, the star 2006 Patriots:

Blue Chippers: Brady, Dillon, Branch, Watson, Graham, Light, Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin, Harrison.
    Red Chippers: Kopppen, Mankins, Neal, Brown, Faulk, Kayczur, Green, Wilson

Total: 13 Blue chippers and 8 Red chippers, for a total of 21.

Only three of the stars of today were pre-Belichick Patriots; Brown and Bruschi were not yet stars; Kevin Faulk was viewed as a potential bust. Willie McGinnest was rumored to be washed up, since he couldn't be the entire pass rush all by himself.

The world has changed, the Team is still younger, and the cupboard is not bare...
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  2. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

so what are you saying??? red chippers...is that a new term??? I guess I don't get it..
  3. marty

marty Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

How come there's two threads with different titles on this? Color me confused?
  4. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +236 / 22 / -10

Blue chippers are Stars or Super Stars, for example Super stars like Brady and Seymour or stars like Harrison or Bruschi. The Red chippers are solid starters, possible occasional probowl type players. Examples are Light or Faulk. Solid foundation players who you win with but are not likely going to Honolulu every year or maybe even never. But you don't need to replace them, and you win Superbowls with a Team of them.

White Chippers are just guys who are either not yet broken through to stardom, or will just be the first reserve off the bench, and able fill-ins.

With all the talk about how the Patriots are "Over the hill" or in danger of a losing season, I just wanted posters to see the difference between a 5-11 type squad, and today's Patriots, even without Mcginnest, Viantieri, Givens, or Ashworth.
  5. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

That's certainly the message that many do forget. I'm often left scratching my head at the relative obsession for keeping those players who won the first championship. I know, for many, including myself, it was probably the greatest moment of their lives. But they have to remember change has to happen for more great moments to come.

And just a little nuisance to my eyes: It's McGinest and Kaczur, not McGinnest and Kayczur. ;)
  6. Flying Fungi

Flying Fungi Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

who the heck was Larry Armstrong?

he the dude that landed on the moon??
  7. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

:D hehehe.. Close, he was the dude that invented FM radio and the regnerative circuit.

Edit: damnit man. Google first, post second. It was EDWIN Armstrong that invented FM, not Larry. My bad. Not sure who Larry is.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  8. Murphys95

Murphys95 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Must assume he meant #78, Bruce Armstrong.
  9. Feep_FLA

Feep_FLA Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What about the Green-Chippers? How about a coupla Yellow-Chippies? :rocker:
  10. flutie2phelan

flutie2phelan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The lead post made perfectly good sense.
    Poker, y'know.

The message was clear, welcome, and timely.

But, over the past 2 weeks or so, it seems that the gloomy Gusses have faded away.
    The tone of the board is very upbeat ... positive ... maybe even combative.
    Nice change from the month before that.
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"Larry" Armstrong

Nah, you're all wrong: he was that guy who won all those bicycle races over in France somewhere.

A-OOO-ga.
  12. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Makes sense...I knew blue..but red and white were new terms to me...Thanks..now I will have to read again..but I think the point is well made.. and the churning has gone beyond what is has been..
  13. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I totally agree...does this mean the Sox are doing good and the real Patriot fans are here..and the chicken littles have run after their team??? I also think March and early April have always been like that..as the Pats historically (last 3 years) have not made big moves in those times.
  14. 14thDragon

14thDragon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The start of FA are always tough times for Pats fans, and despite the constant, drone of "The Belicheck way is being questioned" the fact is every year it gets questioned as some teams *cough* Redskins *cough* go out and spend huge amounts of money. It has happened the past few late March/ early April and it will continue, next March/April.

We get all bummed over the guys leaving, frustrated by the lack of moves, then they start bringing in a few free agents, the draft talk begins and we get excited again.

By training camp, our losses will be faded to nostalga and we will be gearing up for another season.
  15. ClosingTime

ClosingTime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Watson and Graham aren't blue-chippers. Solid TE's but not elite in the league. Neither are Warren or Colvin and basing assessments off last season Dillon is probably a 'brown-chipper' if ya know what I mean. Wilfork, may become a blue-chipper but is not consistent enough to be considered elite yet. I like Light but he's not in the top 10 LT's in the league.
    As for your red-chippers - Brown is no loner in that category, Faulk never was and never will be. he's a serviceable 3rd down back but not very good. Kayczur and Green are serviceable at best.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  16. Flying Fungi

Flying Fungi Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

you're funny
  17. ClosingTime

ClosingTime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You disagree?