PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

old eric wieddle interview:wow he sounds like a Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
sorry if it was posted before as this is old, but wow this guy sounds like a Patriot

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/interviews/ericweddle/ericweddle.html

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Eric Weddle: 5'11 1/2 205. I ran a 4.45 but that was 2 years ago

Scott Wright: There is some debate about whether you will play safety or cornerback at the next level. Which position do you think you're best suited for and which do you prefer?

Eric Weddle: I prefer either position at the next level. Wherever the coaches want me to play, I will do it. I love playing safety because of the responsibilities you hold within the defense with play calling, blitzing, covering and so on. With corner it is a one on one battle the entire game and it really comes down to who is most prepared and wants it the most.

Scott Wright: What do you attribute your knack for making big plays to?

Eric Weddle: I attribute making plays to film study, preparing yourself so much that when you see a formation or a split by a receiver you know exactly what is going to happen. You can then eliminate routes, eliminate certain plays and therefore are that much closer to anticipating a play and making it.

Scott Wright: What would you say is your greatest strength as a football player and what area do you need to work on?

Eric Weddle: My greatest strength in my eyes is probably preparation, the challenge to play against certain players and teams and anticipation on the field to make plays. An area I need to work on is having great technique on every play. Often times we don't get enough work there because you are preparing for the team that week. I say that because I play both corner and safety and going from position to position you have to have great technique to give you an advantage in the game when you switch positions.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?

Eric Weddle: This is a tough one, I would say that it is probably not a particular play I made, but a sequence of events that happened. Last year when we went through a 3 game losing streak and ended the season winning 4 out of 5 games was more satisfying then making any interception, sack or touchdown because we bound together as a team and fought through adversity to finished the season out right.

Scott Wright: Who is the best player you have faced during your career?

Eric Weddle: I have gone against some great players but to name a few would be Calvin Johnson, Hank Baskett, Willie Parker, and Kellen Clemens.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Utah that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level.

Eric Weddle: Ummmmm, I would have to say Steve Tate (junior defensive back), Brent Casteel (sophomore wide receiver) or Brian Johnson (sophomore quarterback).

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college or pro team growing up? Did you have a favorite player?

Eric Weddle: My favorite college team was UCLA. Favorite pro team is the Dallas Cowboys. My favorite player was Emmitt Smith growing up, I wanted to be just like him.

Scott Wright: What NFL defensive back do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Eric Weddle: There are so many great safeties in the NFL that it is hard to say which one I compare to but Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed would be closest I guess. They both get to blitz and are in the biz to make plays. They also both get to roam the field and make plays which fits the mold of how I play at safety.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you most looking forward to going up against in the NFL?

Eric Weddle: Anyone, just being in the NFL will be great. Each and every week you are gonna go against great players so you have to bring it week in and week out.

Scott Wright: At what point did you realize that you might have a future in football beyond college?

Eric Weddle: I am one of those guys that believes things when it happens. If I get drafted and make a team then I will believe that I have a future in the NFL. I don't want to get my hopes up, all I can do is go out each week and play the best that I can and hope that someone will give me a chance to help their organization.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Eric Weddle: I am getting my degree in Special Education (Mild and Moderate Disabilities). With that I want to teach at the High School level with kids who have learning disabilities and give them every opportunity to succeed in their lives. On top of that I want to coach football and be around kids. I love kids dearly and that is why I chose this profession.

Scott Wright: When you get your first professional paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Eric Weddle: If I get a first paycheck I will be ecstatic, celebrate for maybe a second and then get back to work. My wife and I will put it in the bank and will use the money accordingly.

Scott Wright: Have you thought about how you will prepare for the NFL Draft after the season is over in terms of training facilities or all-star games such as the Senior Bowl?

Eric Weddle: I just got a Senior Bowl invite and am extremely honored. I will attend that all star game, train before that and after to give me the best opportunity to show myself to NFL teams at the game, Combine and individual workouts if I get the chance to do so.

Scott Wright: Obviously it is still early, but do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft (Round One, Top 3 Rounds, etc.)?

Eric Weddle: You always have goals about certain things but it is still early to think where I could be drafted. A lot can happen between now and then with the Senior Bowl, Combine and workouts with teams.

Scott Wright: Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions and good luck!

I really, really like Weddle. He's experienced at multiple positions and invariably described as smart on and off the field, which makes him a good candidate for the job qb'ing the dbs.

There really isn't a lot of dropoff between the "top tier" and "second tier" guys in this safety class. If Weddle had played at a major program, we'd probably be talking about him right alongside Michael Griffin.

Weddle is a nice player, but I don't see him as being a real difference maker on the next level. In the limited amount of coverage I have seen of him he seems to be good at a lot of things, but not great at any of them. I see his play at the next level similar to that of some of the other safeties on our team already.

Yeah. I'd spend a pick on this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey