PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OLB rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Is the Crable/Woods switch a sign that Cunningham/Ninko/TBC is deemed to be sufficient for the core OLB rotation?

They're not McGinest/Vrabel/Phifer, certainly not yet, but perhaps they will suffice.

I guess that would make Woods the new Matt Chatham or something.

And evidently Guyton is deemed able to pick up some slack at OLB if needed.

For this game. That is my interpretation. That Cunningham is a 3 down OLB.

--FRITZ

Who is our Larry Izzo?

I think that the Crable cut means the ST unit needed help and Crable was expendable

Agreed with the assesment that Cunningham is the 3-down guy.

I think that the Crable cut means the ST unit needed help and Crable was expendable

The Crab failed to learn the longevity lesson that BB values ST contribution highly and that it's a gateway to buy time to develop as a regular.

I think that this is right. Crable needed to be either one of the top three OLB's or a top special teamer. He was neither. In the end, perhaps this was more about the perceived success of Banta-Cain, Ninkovich and Cunningham at OLB.

Mayo, Spikes and Guyton have the inside spots locked up.

Fletcher is the all-around backup, the #7 LB. Crable was unable to beat out Fletcher for this spot.

In the end, that's all the position linembacker we need; seven is plenty, especiall at this point in the year. Any others absolutely are special teamers first and linebackers second. Woods and White fit that mold perfectly.

And it does help that Woods can play pretty decently against the run. He is actually an ASSET on the field against the run. As a top STer, he will always be active, and be available for run situations as required.

Personally, as was the case with many others, I wanted Woods on the original 53, with Fletcher on the Practice Squad. No other team wanted Woods, so now we have both. Welcome back Pierre Woods!

BOTTOM LINE
Belichick has succeeded in having a reasonably competent, young, inexpensive linebacking corps. This is a huge accomplishment. One top DE/OLB stud will complete the "rebuilding" of the front seven. And we are one corner away from a top secondary.

Whouda think it? There were so many holes going into the season. The defense was so aweful against Cleveland. There will still be awful days, but the transformation has been amazing.

The Crab failed to learn the longevity lesson that BB values ST contribution highly and that it's a gateway to buy time to develop as a regular.

I don't recall Crable being used as OLB. I thought he was used as DE on passing downs ? So I wonder if they would use Mike Wright as DE moving forward.

I don't recall Crable being used as OLB. I thought he was used as DE on passing downs ? So I wonder if they would use Mike Wright as DE moving forward.

Yea he seemed to have his hand on the ground all the time as opposed to standing up.

BOTTOM LINE
Belichick has succeeded in having a reasonably competent, young, inexpensive linebacking corps. This is a huge accomplishment. One top DE/OLB stud will complete the "rebuilding" of the front seven. And we are one corner away from a top secondary.

Don't forget we have Bodden on IR... I think people are forgetting about how good he looked last year. He definitely earned that new contract, and although McCourty's ceiling is higher, Bodden is still a better player right now.

I think if there's anything we need in the secondary, it's someone to go along with Chung back there. Sanders and Meriweather (and even McGowan) are fine complements in certain packages and situations... but we need to upgrade there.

I think if there's anything we need in the secondary, it's someone to go along with Chung back there. Sanders and Meriweather (and even McGowan) are fine complements in certain packages and situations... but we need to upgrade there.

I don't think an upgrade is impossible, but I wouldn't classify it as a need. I think our safeties were outstanding against Pittsburgh when the front seven was applying pressure. That's where the focus of the offseason should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes