PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OLB Depth: Gary Guyton and Dane Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now there seems to be decent depth at ILB and a terrible lack of talent at OLB, so there have been many suggestions of moving ILB's to OLB.
Guyton, Mayo, McKenzie, Spikes, Fletcher - it seems they have all been referenced.

However, none of them are really suited for the role. In fact, we may see ILB's playing nose more than we see them playing outside. There are third-and-long packages with two DL where the Mike moves up and plays the middle of the line - that may well be more common than seeing any of these ILB's at OLB.

The roles really are different in our system. On occasion, we have seen OLB's move inside - Vrabel and Thomas for example. Not the other way around, due to the skills required and role.

Yes, Fletcher was a college DE. So was Bruschi. His size, apparently, dictates a move inside. Belichick has really avoided the 6-1 240 OLB's for our system, or has converted them into ILB's. Until the system changes, none of the faster, smaller DE/OLB types are going to be OLB's in the Patriots system.
I don't know why people automatically dismiss Spikes as an OLB in certain situations, but someone at camp noted that he was a few getting reps on the edge. With a 6-3, 250 lb frame and the strength to shed tackles and guards, why not give it a shot? He played some DE in Florida's 4-3 on occasion.

I would like to point out that I don't think he's a full-time OLB, merely that his length, strength, and pass-rush skills allow for some flexibility when you're lining him up in certain situations.

Now as for Guyton, he is strictly a weakside linebacker in this system. As others have pointed out, he'd be a perfect fit at 4-3 OLB for a team like the Colts. For us, his role seems to be dropping into coverage, where he can use his speed and height to make plays on the ball and cover tight ends and running backs.

Last edited:
I think Spikes may very well spend time at OLB. Belichick has already raved about his unique skill set and his quickness. While his detractors have pointed out his slow 40 time at the combine, no pass rusher is going to have to cover 40 yards. Dwight Freeney barely cracked the 5.0 barrier at the combine, and he's a borderline hall of famer.

I also like Spikes' attitude and meanness, something we've definitely lacked from out pass rushers in recent years. Remember when Patriots defenders regularly laid guys out?

"Dwight Freeney barely cracked the 5.0 barrier at the combine, and he's a borderline hall of famer."

Freeney ran a 4.48 at the combine if I'm not mistaken.

I think Spikes may very well spend time at OLB. Belichick has already raved about his unique skill set and his quickness. While his detractors have pointed out his slow 40 time at the combine, no pass rusher is going to have to cover 40 yards. Dwight Freeney barely cracked the 5.0 barrier at the combine, and he's a borderline hall of famer.

I also like Spikes' attitude and meanness, something we've definitely lacked from out pass rushers in recent years. Remember when Patriots defenders regularly laid guys out?

That's right, Dwight Freeney barely cracked the 5.0 barrier by running a 4.38.

Better comparison is Terrel Suggs, who ran a 4.8. *shrug* Seems to do okay out in Baltimore.

Guyton cannot effectively play OLB in this system. (Or maybe any other.)

i think he could play 3-4 OLB in any system but the pats BB ask a lot from he's OLB's in he's bend but dont break defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes