PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OL rebuild a success to this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Andrews is the weakest link on the line now. We saw early on against the Jets and the Bills where he could get man handled and pushed back.

Overall, I think we are in good shape going forward though. Really excited about our guards....to think last year we had Kline starting!!!

Noticed on a few plays that Ram defenders were going untouched coming off the edge, two in particular on Solder's side. Guessing with how non-existent the effort was to block them that it was by design/the chain result of putting extra help on Donald. Obviously there's going to be a trade-off when doubling up a guy on the D-line..definitely worrisome though if those trade-off weighs in the defense's favor more often than not if they're able to get uncontested paths to get to Brady.
You only have 5 to block. If they bring 6 either you keep a back in or you let the guy farthest from the QB go unblocked and hit the hit read.

Anytime you're on pace of being sacked 22 times instead of 38 and believe we can score in Mile High, I'd say our OL is better.

For those who think that PFF might not be bad when it comes to lineman:

Top offensive grades:

RG Shaquille Mason, 81.8

RT Marcus Cannon, 80.8

LT Nate Solder, 79.4

WR Julian Edelman, 79.3

C David Andrews, 78.3

Rams at Patriots Grades | NFL Week 13

"9. Shaquille Mason, G, New England Patriots

When you are part of an offensive unit that holds Aaron Donald to his lowest grade of the season, you are doing something right. Mason didn’t allow a single pressure from his 48 snaps in pass protection against one of the league’s most pressure-happy defenses, and helped clear a path for LeGarrette Blount to average 4.9 yards per carry and the team to rush for 133 yards overall on the ground in the win over the Rams."

10 best players from Week 13's NFL action

Not busting yours balls, asking seriously.
How do you get this conclusion? Are you rewatching thevgames in slow motion and focusing on the successful and unsuccessful blocks? (I used to do this and it told me a ton more than I could ever get just watching games but don't have the time any more) or do you get all22 or is this just a general impression from live game watching?
Or are you getting this from someone else publishing analysis?

That was the feeling I got this season when I rewatched games via gamepass and slowed down the speed a few times. That opinion was occasionally boosted by beat writers and other "experts" on twitter also calling him out.

Now, obviously I am an amateur when it comes to all of this so who knows. I was just saying that this is one of my bigger fears on offense. Because imho it's not so much the 4 man pressure that is a Brady/Patriots killer but consistent interior pressure that prevents Tom from stepping up the pocket.

The current oline has now gone wire-to-wire for 7 straight games. That, to me, has more to do with their success than any other factor. Historically, the best ols havent always been the ones with the most individual talent-its been those that have played together the longest. As most of us know, ol functions as a unit, more so than any other position group. Gotta give Scar a ton of credit for that, as well as the major improvement in several guys' games. Gotta also give props to the players, who accepted the challenge. I agree that andrews is probably the least talented-but i dont consider him a weak link. Hes a scrapper. If he wasnt playing well, the ol wouldnt be playing well.

Well, you need to find replacements for Sea Bass and I'd look to upgrade from Solder. He's been...okay...at best this season but you can find someone better in the draft.

I mean, I heard "Well, he's good but he has problems with speed rushers." that's like saying "Well, I'm a good driver but I have problems with making left turns."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes