PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OL rebuild a success to this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Brady is on pace to get sacked 22 times in a full season as compared to 38 times in 2015. Blount should be our first 1,000 yard rusher since 2012 and has a chance to break Curtis Martin's season rushing TD record.

1. Thuney has replaced Kline and started all 12 games.
2. Andrews has replaced Stork and been more consistent.
3. Re: Shaq Mason
@DougKyed
Shaq Mason had made major strides as a pass blocker and run blocker since the bye. Now one of the Patriots' best O-linemen.
4. Cannon has been our best OL and is signed longterm.

The OL starters are all under 30 and signed through 2017. This aspect of the Pats is important because the 2017 OL draft class is a weak one.

Is this unit fully rebuilt? Who's the weak link at this point, undersized Andrews?

Brady is on pace to get sacked 22 times in a full season as compared to 38 times in 2015. Blount should be our first 1,000 yard rusher since 2012 and has a chance to break Curtis Martin's season rushing TD record.

@DougKyed
Shaq Mason had made major strides as a pass blocker and run blocker since the bye. Now one of the Patriots' best O-linemen.

The OL starters are all under 30 and signed through 2017. This aspect of the Pats is important because the 2017 OL draft class is a weak one.

Is this unit fully rebuilt? Who's the weak link at this point, undersized Andrews?

I think so. I wish Andrews had Stork's bulk but his play has been pretty good.

I think Solder's play has picked up as well. Starting to wonder if his uneven play earlier this year had something to do with the tests his son was getting. Now that hes been confirmed to be still in remission, maybe hes playing with a clear head now.

Yes. It could be a bit better but overall a success. Hopefully they continue to improve as the line on a whole is young. I would be happy with this line for the next 5 years though.

Where do we improve it realistically?

LT - Solder is an average to pretty good starting LT who at times plays like a top 10 LT but other times makes you pull out your hair. On the whole though LTs are hard to get and there is no realistic way to improve it through the draft as you likely need to be top 5 and still might miss. As for FAs not often do teams let really good LTs walk

LG - Thuney - I would not spend any resources trying to improve this spot. Thuney is young and good and when he has a full year or 2 he may be a top 5 RG.

C - Andrews is the guy you look to improve if you are trying to upgrade your line. However he has consistently improved since getting here and I wonder if he will be bigger next year which is his main issue. Overall decent starting Center but if they invest a top pick they can likely upgrade her and it will show.

RG - Mason has really come on. He is playing like one of the best LGs in the NFL recently. He has improved his pass blocking and is still a very good run blocker. Right now i have him as their overall 2nd best OL player.

RT - Cannon is locked up long term. If he has 4-5 more years like this I will be very happy. He has been our best OL player this year and has played like a top 5 RT on the year fairly consistently.

On depth...

Karras - I liked his spot duty when Mason was out. I think he is a keeper and can play 3 spots.
Flemming - Really stepped up this year and looks like a solid back up but i don't trust it 100% I love him as the #4 OT but as #3 I am not sold on him.

Those are the only 2 depth guys i really like as of now. I think they could add 1-2 more.

Last edited:

@DougKyed

This is the key and why December 2016 is different than December 2015. We were playing anyone who showed up for practice on the ol last December and reached a point where BB was afraid of his own offense.

We go into December this year with a string OK a very good defense and Tom Brady.
I like that combination better than what anyone else has.

I think we have a good thing going right now, and I'd be perfectly fine with this line for the next several years. Ideally, I'd like to see us develop a left tackle of the future. Perhaps McDermott from UCLA? At center, Andrews has played well, but could be upgraded if the right player comes along. Mason has long been one of my favorites (going back to college days), but I'm not convinced we can't do better. I think he's a dynamite backup, but has some lapses as a starter. Cannon has been a rock this year.

We can win with this line. Ultimately, we may choose to invest elsewhere, and I'd be okay with that. We don't need to be the Dallas OL in order to win a championship.

By the way I think a lot of the underperformance by the offense in the last 3 wins is more about Brady's health than anything else.
He is less willing to step up into the pocket or move around to extend a play probably because he doesn't want to reinsure the knee so he gives up in more plays than normal and that adds up.
I also have noticed a reluctance by Josh to call slower developing plays that get the ball diwnfiekd the last few weeks which I also thinks is about keeping Brady healthy more than worry about the ol.
We are seeing a watered down offense that appears to be worried more about winning the war than winning the battle.

Yes. It could be a bit better but overall a success. Hopefully they continue to improve as the line on a whole is young. I would be happy with this line for the next 5 years though.

Where do we improve it realistically?

LT - Solder is an average to pretty good starting LT who at times plays like a top 10 LT but other times makes you pull out your hair. On the whole though LTs are hard to get and there is no realistic way to improve it through the draft as you likely need to be top 5 and still might miss. As for FAs not often do teams let really good LTs walk

RG - Thuney - I would not spend any resources trying to improve this spot. Thuney is young and good and when he has a full year or 2 he may be a top 5 RG.

C - Andrews is the guy you look to improve if you are trying to upgrade your line. However he has consistently improved since getting here and I wonder if he will be bigger next year which is his main issue. Overall decent starting Center but if they invest a top pick they can likely upgrade her and it will show.

LG - Mason has really come on. He is playing like one of the best LGs in the NFL recently. He has improved his pass blocking and is still a very good run blocker. Right now i have him as their overall 2nd best OL player.

RT - Cannon is locked up long term. If he has 4-5 more years like this I will be very happy. He has been our best OL player this year and has played like a top 5 RT on the year fairly consistently.

On depth...

Karras - I liked his spot duty when Mason was out. I think he is a keeper and can play 3 spots.
Flemming - Really stepped up this year and looks like a solid back up but i don't trust it 100% I love him as the #4 OT but as #3 I am not sold on him.

Those are the only 2 depth guys i really like as of now. I think they could add 1-2 more.

I think your Guards are in the wrong spots Thuney is LG and Mason is RG.

Andrews is my biggest post season worry on the offense. I think any team that has good-to-great interior pass rushers can disrupt quite a lot through him. He is solid but consistently needs a lot of help against the stronger players.

Andrews is my biggest post season worry on the offense. I think any team that has good-to-great interior pass rushers can disrupt quite a lot through him. He is solid but consistently needs a lot of help against the stronger players.

Just went up against by far the best DT in the league and was part of making him practically non-existant

Just went up against by far the best DT in the league and was part of making him practically non-existant

With Quinn out we could afford to do a lot of that:

My worry is what happens if the opponent also has capable edge rushers that require attention.

True, but he was getting an awful lot of help. This week will be a much more difficult test for him, since the Ravens have enough rushers to keep our other blocking assignments honest.

I think your Guards are in the wrong spots Thuney is LG and Mason is RG.

fixed it. I meant to do it LT LG C RG RT but i just messed up the labels. Luckily they were in the right spot though :p

Noticed on a few plays that Ram defenders were going untouched coming off the edge, two in particular on Solder's side. Guessing with how non-existent the effort was to block them that it was by design/the chain result of putting extra help on Donald. Obviously there's going to be a trade-off when doubling up a guy on the D-line..definitely worrisome though if those trade-off weighs in the defense's favor more often than not if they're able to get uncontested paths to get to Brady.

Noticed on a few plays that Ram defenders were going untouched coming off the edge, two in particular on Solder's side. Guessing with how non-existent the effort was to block them that it was by design/the chain result of putting extra help on Donald. Obviously there's going to be a trade-off when doubling up a guy on the D-line..definitely worrisome though if those trade-off weighs in the defense's favor more often than not if they're able to get uncontested paths to get to Brady.

If the game plan is to take someone away, it's only logical that someone else on the opposition is going to be a direct beneficiary. It's hard to tell when edge guys blow right by us because Solder will get beat sometimes, though. Judging by the triple teams on Donald, I'll give Solder the benefit of the doubt and attribute it to scheme.

They love Andrews. As evidenced by the love-fest IN last week's victory video.

LG, RG, and RT are set for a while. Thuney, Mason and Cannon are more than capable. Solder...is a difficult decision. He still has one more year, and after that he's a FA. Do we extend him, knowing that he will be decent but have some inconsistency issues? And if we do, how much do we pay him? Is it worth paying him or look for a LT in the first round of draft?

On the other hand, Andrews is okay, but he's still the weakest link on the line. I would pick up another center in the draft considering we only have one (two if we use Karras as a makeshift center).

We are set at guard for a long time. Thuney and Mason are young studs. Jackson when healthy is a very good backup.

At tackle, we are super solid with solder cannon, Fleming as backup. I wouldn't upgrade here unless an elite LT drops into our lap in the draft. Vollmer will be coming back from injury too but this might be his last season here

I would upgrade at center, Andrews is a high effort player but I think we could find a young hungry center with more bulk and strength than Andrews.

Loving our o line this year

They've done an amazing job so far. Hoping Jackson can come back, but not optimistic (did I read here that his hip issues are growing?).

They are good enough to go the Van Noy/McClellin/Bostic/Mingo hunting route - grab guys that have underperformed (like they tried with Cooper, but he couldn't get healthy in time - by the way, how's he doing now with the ? Lions?)...

So go get people like Greg Robinson, who have been inexplicably awful and see if Scar can work some magic. I like the current OL a lot, but other than Mason, they aren't all that athletic.

Curious to see if Vollmer comes back next year.

Not busting yours balls, asking seriously.
How do you get this conclusion? Are you rewatching thevgames in slow motion and focusing on the successful and unsuccessful blocks? (I used to do this and it told me a ton more than I could ever get just watching games but don't have the time any more) or do you get all22 or is this just a general impression from live game watching?
Or are you getting this from someone else publishing analysis?

If the game plan is to take someone away, it's only logical that someone else on the opposition is going to be a direct beneficiary. It's hard to tell when edge guys blow right by us because Solder will get beat sometimes, though. Judging by the triple teams on Donald, I'll give Solder the benefit of the doubt and attribute it to scheme.
We didn't triple team

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey