PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OL Nick McDonald, WR Lavelle Hawkins, WR Perez Ashford cut

they still have 10 WR's......all of which need as many reps as possible......don't be surprised to see this number shrink further

they have Edelman, amendola, boyce, and thompkins.......there was no room for Hawkins....the numbers did not bear out.....now they don't have to worry about looking at him

I think Jenkins is safe for now......he offers something different anyway.....there's only Dobson and mark Harrison for redundancy there......

Harrison isn't getting any ink, so he isn't sticking out one way or the other....Is he injured?

Edit: Just saw on another thread he was observing on the sidelines in practice. Guess that answers the injury question.

Not really a surprise. McDonald was obviously the best of the three (by far), but IIRC he was scheduled to make over 2 million this year as a backup guard. In a perfect world we could trade Mankins for a second, put McDonald at RG and Connolly at LG and save a boat load of money for about the same quality of play, but Mankins contract continues to be a burden.

Really still don't understand why we caved to him. Not only does it set a terrible precedent (rewarding hold outs and letting guys who did the team first thing [Welker] get the boot), he's a guard.

Lavelle and Perez were just camp fodder. Losing McDonald is a shame though.

I just can't believe we actually had OL McDonald and never riffed on it. Oh well.

Not really a surprise. McDonald was obviously the best of the three (by far), but IIRC he was scheduled to make over 2 million this year as a backup guard. In a perfect world we could trade Mankins for a second, put McDonald at RG and Connolly at LG and save a boat load of money for about the same quality of play, but Mankins contract continues to be a burden.

Really still don't understand why we caved to him. Not only does it set a terrible precedent (rewarding hold outs and letting guys who did the team first thing [Welker] get the boot), he's a guard.

Your post notwithstanding, Mankins is an elite NFL guard. That has a lot to do with him getting paid like an elite NFL guard.

I imagine we will re-sign him once he passes his physical unless another team scoops him up.

In a perfect world we could trade Mankins for a second, put McDonald at RG and Connolly at LG and save a boat load of money for about the same quality of play

You must be confused regarding the definition of the word "about."

McDonalds cap is ONLY $656,000, look for him to be placed on IR if he clears waivers...

Maybe I'm putting on my homer hat here, but hoping BB ditching Jones and Hawkins so early is he sees noway they could get playing time over the 3 rookies.

Perhaps that's true. However, there is a long time until Game 1. We need players as insurance against injuries. Clearly Hawkins was not worthy of even this. Jones wasn't either, but it would have cost $200K for that insurance; he wasn't worth it.

Maybe I'm putting on my homer hat here, but hoping BB ditching Jones and Hawkins so early is he sees noway they could get playing time over the 3 rookies.

Yup, maybe Belichick is happy with the rookies.

Maybe he's happy with Amendola, Jenkins and Edeman.

What we do know is that he is not happy with Jones, Hawkins and Ashford.

Your post notwithstanding, Mankins is an elite NFL guard. That has a lot to do with him getting paid like an elite NFL guard.

Elite players don't have their worst games in the biggest games.

He's a very good guard with a proclivity for taking stupid penalties at the worst times and has a never ending list of nagging injuries used to justify why he disappears at times. He's also been totally underwhelming in many playoff games.

I like to see some numbers first before judging mankins. From an eyeball test, it seemed the o-line had a nastier demeanor with him in it. Again some numbers will help settle this debate

Elite or not he's still being overpaid (for his current production). In reality, I'm fine with that given his past performance. Not all money should be for future performance but also a reward for past performance.

Guess they had to clear space for another Rutgers guy ...

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 5m
Patriots signing dt scott vallone per a league source former rutgers player

What are we at, 9 Rutgers players now?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye