Welcome to PatsFans.com

Oklahoma outlaws the 10 Commandments

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

The right-wing paranoia and hubris that resulted in a state constitutional amendment outlawing Sharia law in Oklahoma (perhaps a real danger when you consider how racist, homophobic, and sexist Oklahoma is, at least historically), may have also resulted in outlawing the 10 Commandments. Obviously, for a state like Oklahoma to outlaw Sharia was simply a statement of bigotry directed at Muslims, since there's zero danger of Sharia law in any state, let alone Oklahoma.

Oklahoma voters may have accidentally outlawed the 10 Commandments - National populist | Examiner.com

Lawmakers in the Sooner State put a constitutional amendment banning the application of Islamic law by Oklahoma courts on the ballot for Tuesday's election.

But the amendment, which also banned the use of international law in judicial decision-making, might force Oklahoma judges to ignore all laws that were conceived on foreign soil, including the 10 Commandments.

"I would like to see Oklahoma politicians explain if this means that the courts can no longer consider the Ten Commandments. Isn't that a precept of another culture and another nation?" said a University of Oklahoma law professor. "The result of this is that judges aren't going to know when and how they can look at sources of American law that were international law in origin. Many of us who understand the law are scratching our heads this morning, laughing so we don't cry."

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

What aspects of the 10 commandments were enforced as law in OK? You do realize that 1 aspect of Sharia law was the use of Muslim clerics instead of judges. I am unaware of any Judeo Christian law being applied to require the use of clerics superceding the judiciary in deciding court proceedings?

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

God I wish I could live to see the day that Islam comes into power in America.

I am not a very religous person but for the life of me I cannot understand why The American Left Wing is Hell Bent on destroying and trampling the freedoms of Christianity while at the same same time they grovel and slobber over the Islamic Musim Religion, a religion that still in the year 2010 beheads humans, stones helpless women to death, and amputates the hands and feet of screaming frightened people.

The Left Wing Brain Is A very Strange Place.........................:confused:

4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I wonder what took them so long? I mean when I think of the Sharia law ban proposal I instantly thought of banning then 10 commandments too. After all they are so similar:rolleyes: zero likelyhood notwithstanding.

I dunno, for the life of me I can't understand the need to constantly try and draw moral equivilancies of non radical religions to radical ones(talk about hubris)....and before anyone says I'm talking about moderate Islam I'm not, I'm talking about Sharia law which is radical. Hey Oklahoma law professor, pouring acid on the face of your daughter for dating and thou shalt not kill aren't on equal ground and you know it. You seriously think that judges would have to be forced to make that hard decison of banning thou shalt not kill??? What an azz.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

The point is that we have zero fear of Sharia law being applied in the US. Even if a nutty lower level judge tries to do that, it will be overturned at the next level. Creating such a stupid constitutional amendment is one thing, but including with it that you can't use international law makes it even more absurd. Our legal system is based on the British legal system on back to the Catholic Church, to the Bible, to Roman laws, etc. While it's rare one needs to look to international laws, there are cases that come up every now and then that require a historical perspective or international perspective, such as cases involving property held by someone's ancestors, creationism, adultery, recognition of marriages in other countries, and so on.

6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +688 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

1. Shari'a law is orthodox Islam.

2. Pouring acid on girls' faces is not justified under Shari'a law.

7. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

When were Muslim clerics enforced as law in OK?

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Muslim clerics decide legal matters as per Sharia law. This is happening in parts of Europe already and has been demanded by Muslims in both the US and Canada.

I am surprised you were unaware of this.

9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

So sorry to have been so hard on the misunderstood, wrongfully savged good Sharia law:confused:

Look it, all of the toture, terrorism, stoning, acid to the face , you name it crap is justified by radical islam's take on what Sharia law allows for. Stop hiding behind the technical and look at the pratical. Defending Sharia law? Stop it please.

10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

You didn't answer my question.

11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

I don't think Nikolai was defending sharia.

------------

I'd be interested in seeing what % Oklahomans who oppose sharia do think that the 10 commandments would be ok as law.

Fortunately for those of us who think religion of any form is a bad basis for law, the US Constitution would prevent that from happening -- perhaps to the chagrin of fundamentalists of all stripes.

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

It's one of the first steps to "Muslim Rule"

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Really, Patters? So now it's legal to kill and steal in Oklahoma? After all, those are mentioned in the 10 Commandments.

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Only in the mind of paranoid Christianists

15. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

LOL point Wolfpack. /thread.

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

The "freedoms of Christianity" or the freedoms of Christians?

If the former, I'd be very interested in hearing what those are. If the latter, I'd be very interested in hearing how they're being "trampled" -- specifics, please.

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Sharia allows for slavery.

18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

So does the bible.

In both cases, they're irrelevant to US law.

19. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Still following that Old Testament law? Please refer me to the passage in the New Testament that allows for slavery.

20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

I'm not following anything the bible says.

Why should I prove something I didn't say?

If you disagree with what I actually said, I look forward to your response.

Edit: By the way, aren't the commandments old testament?