Welcome to PatsFans.com

Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland found guilty of murder in killing of suspect

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jun 1, 2011.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Life in prison? I think that's harsh. It went beyond self defense but I can see how someone might lose it after his family and he were seconds before looking down the barrel of a gun.

2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Re: Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland found guilty of murder in killing of susp

Just saw the news coverage of it on tv. Life sounds about right. Prosecution had videotape of the incident (more or less). kid comes into store with gun. Clerks run. Store manager shoots kid. Kid falls on ground and laying there, not dead. Manager goes to back of store and gets another gun. Comes back (now, out of video) and fires 5 shots into kid. Now, kid is dead. So, the town is outraged that the manager got life? If the manager is concerned that kid is still a threat, how about kicking gun away from kid. Seen it on tv numerous times. No, let me go back to my office and get that other gun and fire five rounds into suspect. Outrage? Yea, town is outraged and politician is going to write new bill because of this injustice.............
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +474 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Re: Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland found guilty of murder in killing of susp

How about....the kid that got killed never even had a gun?

The police investigation determined only Ingram (the other kid, the one who ran away) had a gun and only the pharmacist fired any shots. The detective also testified Ersland shot Parker five more times after chasing the second robber away, coming back to the store and getting a second gun from a drawer.

Read more: Ersland trial jury tours Reliable Discount Pharmacy in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +474 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

How is his family involved? I read that it was the pharmacist and two employees in the store.....I did not read anything that says either of those employees were family members, tho.

As for "looking down the barrel of a gun" the kid that got killed didn't have a gun.

His partner did - and his partner ran out of the store as soon as the pharmacist started shooting.
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -2

I don't think that matters if the guy had reason to think the kid also had a gun.

That said, this seems black and white to me. It's unfortunate, because the guy was a crime victim, and he acted well within his rights to defend himself and his employees from the punks trying to rob him.

But when you then get a 2nd gun, seemingly pretty calmly (some caution here, since the video isn't the best), and then fire multiple rounds into a kid who already had been shot? without something indicating that he was still a threat, or that the pharmacist was in a rage, 1st degree murder sounds right -- unfortunately.

I wonder what the minimum he has to serve is. I'd have no problem with him getting parole as soon as legally possible from the little I know about the situation here.
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I thought one of the employees was in his family and that makes a little difference, yeah, my mistake. Family might cause someone to even be more aggressive. The point is one of them had a gun and threatened with it. The video shows that clearly. Whether the guy knew who he shot at had one or not I don't know but under those circumstances he might just be reacting to the the threat as he judged it, initially. The whole thing only took about 2 minutes and in the fog of war, emotions and adrenaline can really take over. I don't think he shouldn't be convicted of something and shouldn't spend some jail time but he didn't ask that his store be robbed at gunpoint and he and his employees life were threatened just 2 minutes prior. His emotional state of mind that he didn't intend to find himself in, must be considered here.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm not supporting the robber. He's a scumbag. But the "fog of war"? Really?
    The same could be said of any armed robber who shoots a store owner during a struggle. That's a lame excuse. Most people don't do what this a-hole did. He murdered the kid. The penalty for accessory to armed robbery is not death.
  8. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

In a very red state like Oklahoma he probably would have been acquitted if he didn't pull the 2nd gun and shoot the robber 5 times. The jury made the correct decision IMO.
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I've been consistent from the start that he brought it beyond self defense and that he should be charged and should go to jail. I think life is too harsh.

I think someone can be in a highly charged emotional state for 2 or three minutes and do things they might not normally do. This has been a known by police departments for some time now. The adrenalin rush has been blamed for many police overreacting with high speed chase subjects once they catch up with them. They are now trained to control that emotional situation. I think you can call that a "fog of war"
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +474 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I don't know how long of a time transpired between the first time he shot this kid and the rest of the times he shot the kid....sounds like everything that happened in between time would have taken longer than 2 or 3 minutes, tho.

I don't know if you've read this accounting or not ...Ersland trial jury tours Reliable Discount Pharmacy in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com

It's pretty detailed and it shows that the pharmacist has a big problem with either knowing the truth or telling the truth. He lied to the police about almost everything - which does not put him so much in an "emotional state" as it does a "cover your *****" state. The guy went so far as to explain that he couldn't run away with the rest of his employees because he wore a back brace as a result of artillery attack while he was in Iraq. He also said he suffered from PTSD and that he had killed alot of people there.

Records show Ersland spent the Gulf War in 1991 as the pharmacy chief at the military hospital at Altus Air Force Base in southwestern Oklahoma.

Nothing he said about the actual shooting was backed up by evidence at the scene, either.

Just sayin......
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -26

The sentence for 1st degree murder is either the death sentence of life without parole.. there is nothing gray here. He will be sentenced 11 July..

Oklahoma - First-degree Murder in Conjunction with 1 of 8 Aggravating Circumstances - Death Penalty - ProCon.org

12. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

After reading the article you linked Ersland was full of garbage in his statement to police. Didn't he know he had a camera in his own pharmacy?

To me this quote sums up what Ersland is all about:

He wanted to shoot someone and he succeeded in shooting the same person 6 times. 5 times after the person was incapacitated.

DarrylS: They don't mess around with sentences for murder convictions in the South. Good find on the Oklahoma law.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

Shooters Mistake
    Big Mistake getting another gun after the crook was shot, now he will pay for that mistake.

Dead Punks Mistake
    He should have gone to the movies instead of trying to steal other peoples property, now he pays for that mistake.

Warning Scumbags:
    Almost every store in America has a gun, they are sick of your sh!t, if you plan on robbing a store you better wear a bullet proof vest, the people are starting to "fight back".

One thing is for sure, this dead crook picked the wrong guy to rob.
    Another thing for sure "that punk will never rob another store"
  14. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The video has a clock that is running and it all took place in less than 3 minutes. I'm basing my thoughts on that video. I hadn't read the accounting and yeah he's a liar and once the dust settled and he had his wits about him he knew he crossed the line and thought he could lie his way out of any guilt. What he said about the shooting may not have been backed up but that less than 3 minute video can be explained by a guy out of control emotionally. It doesn't excuse him but it can explain it. I am open to the idea that he was a s cool as a cucumber, but that would be more remarkable to me than if he were out of control. I don't want to make this guy out a hero or anything though.

EDIT: And the dreaming about it thing. i don't think he was testifying that he dreamed about it like you would dream about winning the superbowl. they could have been bad dreams that haunted him.
  15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

16. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

The Oklahoma authorities thought otherwise. They put him on trial for Murder. What would you have charged him with? Manslaughter?

BTW: He never served in the Gulf. He was a pharmacist at a Military Hospital in Oklahoma.
  17. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I can see the argument for first degree murder because he came back but it occurred too quickly as far as I'm concerned for that. 2nd degree murder for sure , maybe manslaughter.
  18. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -2

That's absolutely true, but a couple thoughts. First, this is where the video hurts him. He just doesn't look in anyway agitated. That may not be accurate, particularly given the video quality and lack of audio, but he looks pretty calm.

Second, I think this is something where the onus is on the gun owner (or anybody owning / wielding a weapon). I've thought about this a lot in considering whether to purchase a gun. I've always come out on the side of caution, as I'm aware that I have a temper. This is where it's particularly unfortunate, as he seemingly was a law-abiding citizen, and he initially was defending himself and his employees. but in owning a gun, he had a responsibility to use it appropriately. He did so at first. Then he failed, and that's a tragedy for all involved.
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

And that's why he should go to jail. I just think life is too harsh.
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +474 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Ah, ok. I missed that part. Sorry. Still, he had enough time to get back in the store, see the guy lying in the same position on the floor, step over him, get another gun and come back and shoot him several more times. If you've got the time to do that, you've got the time to think about what you're doing.

He told the cop who was interrogating him after the shooting that he had killed alot of people in Iraq and he knew he had to do it but he dreamed about it every night......and you're right, they could have been very bad dreams - but they weren't his dreams because he'd never been in Iraq in the first place.

Between the stories about his war experiences and his puffed up account of the shooting he sounds very much like the kind of man who really does have dreams about killing people - and I mean "dreams" as in, "boy, I hope I get to do that someday coz that would be soooo cool and I would be so the man."