PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Okay ... I'm Over It.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Okay ... I just watched the press conference and I'm over it. The guy's father was a die hard Red Sox fan ... he grew up a Red Sox fan ... everything else will take care of itself.

I think he can be at least 90% maybe more of the hitter manny would have been here this year and next. I think he will field better and that will make up for whatever he lacks as a hitter.

Time to move on...

Okay ... I just watched the press conference and I'm over it. The guy's father was a die hard Red Sox fan ... he grew up a Red Sox fan ... everything else will take care of itself.

I think he can be at least 90% maybe more of the hitter manny would have been here this year and next. I think he will field better and that will make up for whatever he lacks as a hitter.

Time to move on...

Sure. But what is Big Papi's reaction to all this.
Those guys were tight. Were'nt they?

According to the Providence Journal, Red Sox veterans including Ortiz told GM that Manny Ramirez had to be traded.

As far as Ortiz's public reaction he just said all the generic stuff a good player would say, all is well in the clubhouse.

According to the Providence Journal, Red Sox veterans including Ortiz told GM that Manny Ramirez had to be traded.

As far as Ortiz's public reaction he just said all the generic stuff a good player would say, all is well in the clubhouse.

Just guessing here but I think Ortiz has had enough of being manny's babysitter. Even as a friend ... voting to get rid of Manny could be seen as a favor to Manny also. Ortiz had to know their special relationship as teamates was over. Those guys are all tight outside of the game either way.

Time to move on...

Very well-spoken guy who held his own under what was probably a pretty pressured situation for him. He seems poised and definitely said all the right things. Now he needs to play ;)

Welcome to Boston:rocker: The Baywatch is on!

The way Manny had been behaving, you're probably right.
I sure hope you are, anyways.:)

I know one thing. Ortiz is a shell of himself since he got off the juice.

Bay is beasting with the pretty much game winning triple and then the jack tonight. The Bay State is back in action.

Look at his numbers the last 2 years, douchebag. You will never see this guy hit 50+ homers again in a single season. Also, the telltale signs of "tendon injuries" are there just like they were with Nomar. If you had any medical sense you would know what I'm talking about, but you've probably never read anything other than the sunday comics in your dimwitted life.

Last edited:
Look at his numbers the last 2 years, douchebag. You will never see this guy hit 50+ homers again in a single season. Also, the telltale signs of "tendon injuries" are there just like they were with Nomar. If you had any medical sense you would know what I'm talking about, but you've probably never read anything other than the sunday comics in your dimwitted life.
You mean last year when he had the second highest SLG in his career? He had a .617SLG in May and a .609SLG in the 6 games he played in July. Since an awful April he has been hitting just like people expect.

And Ortiz did not have a tendon injury. He had an injury of the sheath protecting the tendon, an injury significantly different from the Nomar injury.

Seriously though, do you really believe that Ortiz took steroids?

Last edited:
ab-so-fuggin-lutely. So did Nomar, for that matter. Look at Papi's career stats. He exploded in 2006 for 54 hr's. He's been in the league for what, 11 seasons and has 280 career homers. That's barely more than 25 hr's per year. Can anyone account for the statistical anomaly of 2004-2006? 54 hr's in 2006? He was probably doing HGH like so many other pro athletes during that time period. I don't have a problem with it personally. Everyone knows Nomar was on the juice before leaving the Sox.

ab-so-fuggin-lutely. So did Nomar, for that matter. Look at Papi's career stats. He exploded in 2006 for 54 hr's. He's been in the league for what, 11 seasons and has 280 career homers.

I think Ortiz was on the HGH and Nomar was without a doubt on the roids. While we're at it .. throw Julio Lugo's name in there for his spectacular year which we are now paying for.

ab-so-fuggin-lutely. So did Nomar, for that matter. Look at Papi's career stats. He exploded in 2006 for 54 hr's. He's been in the league for what, 11 seasons and has 280 career homers. That's barely more than 25 hr's per year. Can anyone account for the statistical anomaly of 2004-2006? 54 hr's in 2006? He was probably doing HGH like so many other pro athletes during that time period. I don't have a problem with it personally. Everyone knows Nomar was on the juice before leaving the Sox.
Sure. While in Minnesota he was taught to try and drive the ball as opposed to be a dead pull hitter. While this was certainly a lesson that was good for the future of Ortiz (and all power hitters), it was something that prevented him from developing his natural power at a younger age. In 1998 Ortiz broke his hamate bone (one of a few wrist injuries while he was in Minnesota), an injury that is known for sapping the power of any hitter. Once he came to Boston he was allowed to flourish because he got the consistent playing time that he never had in Minnesota. His stats in 2003 are nearly identical to 2004, only in 22 fewer games.

While he hit 19 fewer HR in 2007 than in 2006, he had more extra-base hits than in 2006 (ranked 2nd in the majors in XBH), and only saw his SLG drop by .015 (ranked 3rd in the majors in SLG). 2007 was still a phenomenal season from a power standpoint. And as I pointed out, Ortiz has been the same hitter people expect of him this year, only he started the season on a horrendous slump. Since then his power has been where it normally has been.

His SLG in 2003 (.592) is only .044 lower than it was when he hit 54HR in 2006 (.636). Thats not a tremendous boost in power. A lot of power hitters have seen greater variations in SLG during the prime of their careers, including those with no steroid rumors (Thomas, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Manny). So if you think he was juicing in 2004-2006, then he must have been in 2007 and 2003, because his power numbers then were right on par with the years you mentioned.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back