PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Okay, I'll say it: Sam Aiken is makin' this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many "pure" special teams players can you carry?

Kicker, punter, long snapper, Izzo, Aiken...

I won't even put Washington there since he is, this year, basically the 5th receiver so he does serve some other purpose, however small.

Well that's a lot of nice things BB is saying... But then again, didn't he praise David Terrell the same way before cutting him?

This is, of course, just me being my old occasionally hyperbolic self, but I actually think he's going to crack the 53. And it's all based on one answer from Belichick:

"Sam is one of our early signings. He was with us through the entire off-season program and of course training camp he has performed well all the way through. He has gotten off to a good start here in training camp. He did a good job in the spring. He had a real good off-season program. He worked hard in the passing camps and he showed up very positive here in training camp both as a receiver and in the kicking game. He is a big guy and strong - very strong for his position.

"He is tough, very professional and works hard at his job. Football is important to him. He is on top of things. If he makes a mistake, he really works hard to correct it and make sure he has it right the next time. I like his attitude, I like his work ethic and I like his versatility. He has done a good job. We have a long way to go but to this point he’s been here since the first day of the off-season program and here we are at the end of July and he’s been very consistent for us. I think he is a good addition to our team."

The few biggest sentences there for me:

1) "Football is important to him" (duh).

2) "I like his attitude...his work ethic and....his versatility."

3) "here we are at the end of July and he's been very consistent for us" - there are few more valuable things to Bill Belichick than consistency, dependability.

Add those to the fact that we were so keen on, and early in, signing him, and I'd say he's one of the darkest horse "LOCKS" on this team. Again, I'm being hyperbolic, but that's my prediction.

How many "pure" special teams players can you carry?

Kicker, punter, long snapper, Izzo, Aiken...

I won't even put Washington there since he is, this year, basically the 5th receiver so he does serve some other purpose, however small.

Yeah, that is my reasoning why he is not a lock for a roster spot. There are so many guys you can keep. All the drafted rookies seem to be doing pretty well. That is going to hurt a lot of the veterans too who are bubble players.

Although I think the Pats will try to use Washington on offense, I think his contributions on special teams were pretty big last year.

Well that's a lot of nice things BB is saying... But then again, didn't he praise David Terrell the same way before cutting him?

Um...NO. He may have praised him, but I don't believe it was using the same language that we've all noticed and are giving weight to. CONSISTENCY? With David Terrell? Really?

Also, feel free to read the whole thread, including the part where I talk about preemptively acknowledging that BB does tend to praise players on his own team - sometimes meaningfully, other times not-so-much.

We really should keep a thread dedicated -- at worst, starting with this year -- documenting with excerpts of BB praises and what happens to the player (cut, PS, active, etc).

I could swear that there have been plenty of cases where guys are getting praised but end up cut, but I'd love to have it documented.

Except in extreme cases with outside evidence, there is no way you can decipher BB speak and decide if the guy is comin or goin.

If Aiken takes Alexander's spot that would mean we would be keeping 6 WRs and only 7 LBs....I think the LB on special teams are both more flexible and better tacklers. I see MAYO taking Alexanders spot, Hobson takes Seaus, Crable takes Colvins. We do need gunners, but I think that Washington does represent a 5th wr this year(maybe)so Aiken shouldnt bump his spot either....I just dont know where he fits....If BB said the sky was blue remember its preseason.

Last edited:
I see MAYO taking Alexanders spot, Hobson takes Seaus, Crable takes Colvins.

I like to think of roles instead of roster spots...

Hobson takes Seau's role.
AD takes Colvin's role.
Mayo takes AD's old role.

Crable fills a role (situational pass rusher) that was missing in 2007. Alexander was really only a ST player last year. Same with Izzo.

Don't be surprised if Aiken lines up at TE at times. Yes, he's a little small and he won't be a blocking TE. Depending on the situation he might be the TE in some situations.

Yeah, that is my reasoning why he is not a lock for a roster spot. There are so many guys you can keep. All the drafted rookies seem to be doing pretty well. That is going to hurt a lot of the veterans too who are bubble players.

Although I think the Pats will try to use Washington on offense, I think his contributions on special teams were pretty big last year.

I agree on Washington, both that he'll play more O this year and that he is very valuable on ST. But most teams carry a 5th receiver, so you can classify him there for roster purposes.

I think it could come down to Aiken v Izzo, unless you can carry 10 LBs, which seems high. But in terms of LBs, figure Bruschi, Vrable, AD, Hobson, Mayo, Crable, and Woods are locks. That's seven. If Izzo is eight, then it's possible that it's Alexander v the rookies for the last spot. But if Izzo is gone, then it does free up a spot to keep one of the rookies. I'm guessing the Pats would have a tough time slipping them through waivers for the practice squad. So if it comes down to cutting Izzo, I'm cool with that because between improvement of Woods, and the addition of Aiken, they should easily be able to replace Izzo's special teams production, and he's no spring chicken as it is.

Rodney lays out Aiken a few more times like today and Aik will be a camp retiree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back