PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OK, we officially need 5 receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tate had "minor surgery" to his knee after he went on I.R. Clearly it wasn't an ACL tear. His knee is probably not toast and he is/will be fully participating in the offseason program. He has a lot of potential to make an impact this year, and it isn't blindly optimistic to think that a talented second year wide receiver participating in all offseason camps could make huge strides. Of course the team shouldn't operate assuming he'll be the answer at the position, but let's not relegate him to gameday inactive just yet (especially because he has the potential to be an ace return man).

I have no idea what Tate did after he went on IR, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the situation if I knew Tate's attitude/work ethic was the same as McKenzie's (preparing with the team in meetings/film room for each upcoming game exactly the same as if he was going to be starting that Sunday). Maybe Tate did this. As we painfully saw last year, our offense doesn't need WRs who are learning on the fly or who struggle getting on the same page with Brady.

My point is that the chances of a rookie WR coming in and lining up opposite Moss are next to zero. We HAVE to find #2 guy who is a) capable of "getting it," b) is going to work his a** off to get there, AND c)who is physically a legitimate threat in the passing game. If Patten still possesses the speed, etc. that c) requires, then he may be the starter in Sept. :eek:

Last edited:
Let's see.
A player isn't worth keeping on the roster. We kept Stanback instead.

CONCLUSION
We hope that he will start opposite Moss.

?????????????????????????

Tate's injury wasn't that bad. They IR'ed him as he wasn't valuable enough to use a roster spot on for 6 weeks in his rookie season

How about contacting the Saints for 1 of their WR's? They are loaded at the position, and may be willing to part with 1 of them. I'd take any one of Colston, Meachem, Henderson, or Moore.

How about contacting the Saints for 1 of their WR's? They are loaded at the position, and may be willing to part with 1 of them. I'd take any one of Colston, Meachem, Henderson, or Moore.

I think Moore has a 2nd round tender on him......

I think Moore has a 2nd round tender on him......

Well some other options that would make sense are the NYG. They have Smith,Nicks,Moss,Manningham,Hixon, and Barden. That's alot of talent right there.

Jacoby Jones from Houston could be interesting

And my personal favorite Steve Smith from Car. He wants out of Carolina, and that team needs to start rebuilding. They could be interested in a deal although I'm sure it would come at a high price, but with a talent like Smith it's well worth it. Picture Moss and Smith with Edelman in the slot and Tate as the #4. SMOKE!!!

Well some other options that would make sense are the NYG. They have Smith,Nicks,Moss,Manningham,Hixon, and Barden. That's alot of talent right there.

Jacoby Jones from Houston could be interesting

And my personal favorite Steve Smith from Car. He wants out of Carolina, and that team needs to start rebuilding. They could be interested in a deal although I'm sure it would come at a high price, but with a talent like Smith it's well worth it. Picture Moss and Smith with Edelman in the slot and Tate as the #4. SMOKE!!!

The Patriots are absolutely positively not going to part with a second in this year's draft, one of the deepest in decades. This year's seconds are like a normal year's firsts. It would have to be a really, really good bargain.

Besides trades rarely work out well in the NFL because the home team knows damaged goods better than the buyer.

If the Patriots do anything with one of the seconds, they will trade down to get a third; they really, really hate not having a pick in a round. Anyway it makes sense to trade down because of the draft depth and the ability of their new draft team to find late round gems like last year. You can bank on that (oops....that is something Felger would say with predictable bank-busting results, but I feel that the Patriots will do something to get a third).

Last edited:
The Patriots are absolutely positively not going to part with a second in this year's draft, one of the deepest in years. This year's seconds are like a normal year's firsts. It would have to be a really, really good bargain.

Besides trades rarely work out well in the NFL because the home team knows damaged goods better than the buyer.

If the Patriots do anything with one of the seconds, they will trade down to get a third; they really, really hate not having a pick in a round. Any it makes sense because of the depth and the ability of their new draft team to find late round gems like last year. You can bank on that (oops....that is something Felger would say with predictable bank-busting results but I feel that the Patriots will do something to get a third).

I wouldn't say absolutely positively on anything seeing the circumstances of this year with the CBA, and what not. The analysts have already said expect to see more trades this year than any other.

They were just options that's all.

I wouldn't say absolutely positively on anything seeing the circumstances of this year with the CBA, and what not. The analysts have already said expect to see more trades this year than any other.

They were just options that's all.

I would say possibly but the Patriots are an empty shell after the free agency period; they need bodies, lots of them:

1 Cornerback, but a good one.
1-2 OLBs
1 DE
2 WRs
2 TEs

I would say possibly but the Patriots are an empty shell after the free agency period; they need bodies, lots of them:

1 Cornerback, but a good one.
1-2 OLBs
1 DE
2 WRs
2 TEs

Yeah, but don't forget about the second round of cuts in July. There will be some valuable players available.

Imo we have a no.1, no.3 and no.4 in Moss, Edelman, Tate.

When Welker returns Edelman becomes 5.

We only need one WR.

We only need one WR.

Right now I'd say it's less than 50/50 that Welker and Moss ever see the field at the same time again. At most they see it for a handful of games.

We only need one WR.

I agree with this completely, I don't belive the entire WR situation is in disarray by any means. But, I do believe that #2 WR is very important in this particular situation. With a strong #2 downfield threat, you are opening up Brady's options dramatically, considering he didn't have this option last yr. Not to mention taking some coverage and pressure off of Moss which can only benefit him. You are also preparing for any future injuries.

Right now I think a strong #2 will help make a questionable unit a lot more realistic. Some people have seen this as an argument about where Tate will fit in--that's not what it's really about for me, although it's a webbed-off side question that is very valid. I think Tate has a ton of potential and can eventually take over as a #1 or #2, I'm just not sure about this year. It's alot of the same when you compare it to the recent Chung situation, although different in some ways of course. Most of us didn't see Chung stepping in right off the bat, and starting. We saw him contributing on ST, while gaining more and more of a role throughout the season. I see a lot in the same with Tate, although I think he has less competiton in front of him, and a higher chance to make a more dramatic immediate impact, since there will be 5-6 WR spots, as compared to 3-4 Safety spots for Chung.

And as mgteich said, we can only hope that he does, which is correct. We're all hoping for the same thing, which is the best case scenario. But even considering that he does, we'd still then need a solid veteran downfield threat at #4 then--it doesn't matter to me what "number" on the depth chart they are. If our downfield threat ends up being a #4 instead of a #2, and Tate steps up and takes over, that's even better. It just makes more sense to me that you'd have a solid vet/FA/trade coming in as our downfield threat, while Tate/draft pick battle for spots alonside Moss/potential #2/Welker.

Bottom line is that I personally, (right or wrong) feel that we 'need' another solid presence in the WR core--I think it'd make a lot more sense to have another downfield threat, or another "X" to line up opposite Moss, which most of us are considering a #2. I think the rumors of us sniffing around Antonio Bryant, even offering a contract deal to Anquan Boldin--speaks volumes to support this theory.

Re: OK, we officially need 5 receivers.

Not sure what exactly you are saying here.

5 "competent" receivers is one thing, 5 "productive" receivers is another. Aiken is classified as competent BTW.

We will also have a tight end by season start, and we will most likely have Faulk at season start.

I'd like to see that alternate universe where Aiken is classified as competent. Are there unicorns and stars made of moonpies as well?

Alot of folks seem willing to count on a player who didn't play his senior year, missed trainging camp, and played a mediocre week in the NFL before getting injured again.

Tate may be a great talent. He may replace Moss. And, based on the past history of those who ahve missed their rookie camp and season (he has missed more), he may never reach his potential.
============

Hope is great!

However, please list all those players (other than qb's and rb's who seem to do okay on the shelf) who became starters after losing so much playing time at the beginning of their careers.
=========

Personally, I think it makes much more sense to count on Patten than Tate. He is 3 years younger than Galloway and Patten will not have problems getting used to Brady and the offense. I seriously doubt that Patten is here without a good word from Brady.

Last edited:
Alot of folks seem willing to count on a player who didn't play his senior year, missed trainging camp, and played a mediocre week in the NFL before getting injured again.

Tate may be a great talent. He may replace Moss. And, based on the past history of those who ahve missed their rookie camp and season (he has missed more), he may never reach his potential.
============

Hope is great!

However, please list all those players (other than qb's and rb's who seem to do okay on the shelf) who became starters after losing so much playing time at the beginning of their careers.

My bet is he'll be a washout. The deck has already been stacked heavily against him with 2 knee injuries in one calendar year. And even if he were fully healthy, BB's ability to identify and select strong WR talent is suspect at best. Loads of failure there.

:) Which side are you trying to support?

It is precisely BECAUSE Belichick is such a poor judge of wide receiver talent that Patten was brought back. There is no way that he will count on his judgement on rookies contributing in their first year, or in kids coming back from injuries before contributing.

My bet is he'll be a washout. The deck has already been stacked heavily against him with 2 knee injuries in one calendar year. And even if he were fully healthy, BB's ability to identify and select strong WR talent is suspect at best. Loads of failure there.

============

Hope is great!

=========

Personally, I think it makes much more sense to count on Patten than Tate. He is 3 years younger than Galloway and Patten will not have problems getting used to Brady and the offense. I seriously doubt that Patten is here without a good word from Brady.

Ehhh.... they're already 100% positive that Edelman's a WR2, so it's not as if Tate's the only flier they're taking.

:) Which side are you trying to support?

It is precisely BECAUSE Belichick is such a poor judge of wide receiver talent that Patten was brought back. There is no way that he will count on his judgement on rookies contributing in their first year, or in kids coming back from injuries before contributing.

The side that says BB should never draft another WR again and should instead let other teams develop WRs for him, then we acquire them via free agency. That seems to have worked out rather well over the last 10 years.

:)

I trust that the team doesn't think of Edelman as a #2 for the 2010 season. That would given us a weak #2 and no slot receiver, and a wish and hope at #4 (or rather two).

Just consider how terrified the opponents will be when we line up Moss and Edelman as our wideouts and a rookie in the slot. Against this backdrop, we will fielding mediocre running backs and blocking tight ends. Surely this is the offense of 2007! NOT

Ehhh.... they're already 100% positive that Edelman's a WR2, so it's not as if Tate's the only flier they're taking.

Last edited:
:)

I trust that the team doesn't think of Edelman as a #2 for the 2010 season. That would given us a weak #2 and no slot receiver, and a wish and hope at #4 (or rather two).

You're in danger of falling prey to the pitchfork parade. You're not reciting the mantra. Repeat after me:

1.) Moss hasn't lost a single microsecond of speed or burst since joining the team

2.) Welker will be ready, and 100%, for game 1

3.) Edelman is already an established WR2, and is just as good as Welker in the slot

4.) Tate has clearly demonstrated that he's a quality WR2/WR3 in this league, even though he's never caught a pass

5.) Patten will have a tremendous bounce back year and put up great numbers AND be a god in the locker room

6.) Aiken was not a problem last year, and he's actually a tremendous WR3 option

7.) The team doesn't need to bring any WRs in, because the corps is already awesome

8.) If the team does draft a WR, he'll be a more than capable WR2 by week 1, guaranteed

Keep repeating that until you've learned the error of your ways. You can still be saved. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey