PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OK, is this for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartanyan

Rookie
Reaction score
On the NFL Network there's an ad in which Arizona's Neil Rackers kicks four balls aiming two each at the left and right uprights, hitting them each time. It looks like he's about 60 yards away, but the camera angle might be deceptive. Is he really hitting them, or is the ad a joke? There's another ad in which a blindfolded wide receiver (forget who it is) is catching passes from a jugs machine, one for which he bends over backwards. It's obvious that he can see through the blindfold, but it is pretty funny. Anyone else see these ads?

Dartanyan said:
On the NFL Network there's an ad in which Arizona's Neil Rackers kicks four balls aiming two each at the left and right uprights, hitting them each time. It looks like he's about 60 yards away, but the camera angle might be deceptive. Is he really hitting them, or is the ad a joke? There's another ad in which a blindfolded wide receiver (forget who it is) is catching passes from a jugs machine, one for which he bends over backwards. It's obvious that he can see through the blindfold, but it is pretty funny. Anyone else see these ads?

The receiver was Braylon Edwards. Pretty funny. Don't know how they pulled off either trick, but obvioulsy there's a method they used.

It's pretty easy to do if you get to try it 100 times but they only tape the times you are successful. :p Call me a skeptic.

OK...you're a skeptic

I have seen the Rackers thing, and it looked like a continuous shoot, all 4 kicks in succession, without any splicing, pretty cool.

Reminds me of the Tiger Woods ad, where he was bouncing a golf ball on the face of an iron, launched the golf ball above his head and as it fell back to earth, drove it with the same iron, really cool hand eye coordination.

Hand =eye?

Willie Mosconi, bro

best ever

Smoke and Mirrors

p8ryts said:
Smoke and Mirrors

Ah, on the contrary! That's an outdated method of deception. Now it is Computer and Graphics.

;)

You'll notice that the camera zooms in on the right upright on his fourth kick, and the ball clearly hits it. On the previous three you just hear a "clang." So it might be trickery. BUT, it does appear to be a continuous shoot, and he DOES hit the upright on the fourth kick. Trying to hit the upright even once and succeeding from what seems like a significant distance is pretty remarkable if you ask me.

it's BS! Every time he steps back he goes out of camera view. So it could easily been spliced.

FWIW, I saw Rackers interviewed about the shoot, and he says it's real. He says he does it all the time for practice, and when he told the commercial guys he could do it, they said go for it, or something to that effect. Who knows, though, with the ability to cut and splice.

bakes781 said:
it's BS! Every time he steps back he goes out of camera view. So it could easily been spliced.
I haven't seen the commercial but if they wanted to fake such a thing, the easiest way would be to just have Rackers go through the motions and put a computer generated football in afterwards. That's what they did with the Powerade commercials where LeBron hit like 5 consecutive jump shots (yes, jump shots) from 200 feet away.

I was the NFL network constantly, i can't believe i haven't seen the Braylon Edwards one.

There is a Quarterback one though with Simms...... But it is not anywhere near as ridiculous as the Rackers one.

I haven't even seen the commercial and I can answer the question. They used special effects.

This sounds like an ad Nike did with Ronaldinho, where he juggled the ball off the touch line out to the top of the box, hit a screaming shot off of the crossbar that bounced right back to himself, he kept juggling, then did it another 2 or 3 times. Absolutely impossible, but damn cool.

The ball's probably computer-generated, as stated above. Frankly, any portion of the shot could be computer-generated, even Rackers, if they wanted to spend enough time doing it. He could be kicking the ball against a blue wall ...

Infinsible said:
No it's not real. If it were Mare I'd believe it.

So you're saying the worse kicker could do it?

Brownfan80 said:
Ah, on the contrary! That's an outdated method of deception. Now it is Computer and Graphics.

;)

Yes! And if you're any good at it, Reuters and the NY Times might be interested in you!

wow, I am dating myself and am only 25, but does no one here remember the Larry Bird vs Jordan commercials... "nothing but net" dont even remember what it was for, maybe mcdonalds or something.
Its all computer graphics etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back