PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ok - Gronk is down, at least for a few weeks. Who has to step it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsDeb

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
My first vote goes to Brandon Lloyd. For the selfish reason that I have him on my fantasy team (along with Hernandez), I pay more attention to Brady to Lloyd than other receiver combos. At least once per game Lloyd is behind the coverage, or wide open and Brady ever-so-slightly OVERTHROWS him. It's maddening!! I don't know whose fault it is, as I am not a technical XX's & OO's kind of fan, but I did notice yesterday that when they went with 2 receiver sets, they were going with Welker and Edelman, so that probably tells me all I need to know. C'mon Brandon! Get on the same page as Brady! We need you! We acquired you to stretch the field.

My second vote is Hernandez. You've got to get back on the field, and be close to your optimal self. I am hoping that you've been held out these last couple of weeks as a precaution more than you're just not ready. We need you against the Jets!

My third vote is a tie between Shiancoe and Fells. One of you needs to step up and be at least 50% of what Gronk is (I realize no one will equal his contributions).

What say you?

The running game needs to step it up the most with the TE injuries.

I think it has to be Hernandez. I know they are different types of TEs but seems simple to me if one pro bowl TE goes down its on the other to fill his shoes.

My huge concern is with the PAT team. My oh my are we in trouble there .... :rolleyes:

The offensive line has to step it up, at least in run blocking. People forget that Gronk is arguably the best run-blocking TE in the NFL. With him out, Ridley could have more of a problem busting big runs. This would lead us to go back to a pass-happy offense and be unbalanced.

AHern should be able to account for Gronk's receiving production. Maybe Shianco in the RZ?

It's the blocking side of things where others have to step-up.

Everyone. That said, Hernandez (whom Bedard says will be back Thursday and was only held out yesterday because of the short turnaround before the JETS) and one or two of the backup TE's and the old bell cow Welker. And situationally the usual suspects like Woody or Edelman and perhaps Branch if he can get the hammy healthy or Salas if he can do anything well enough to play even situationally yet. I think they have come to realize Lloyd is what he is, a #2 or #3 receiver who happens to line up on the outside but doesn't have deep speed or get a ton of seperation (yet alone the early seperation they need given the OL situation) or much YAC. He tends to be a feast or famime receiver here. He lost snaps to Edelman this week. But sometimes less equals more.

And the defense. Consistently.

Edelman.

I want to see 200 all purpose yards. :D :rocker:

Seriously, Aaron will have to pick up the receiving slack. Fells/Shiancoe will have to step up the blocking.

My first vote goes to Brandon Lloyd. For the selfish reason that I have him on my fantasy team (along with Hernandez), I pay more attention to Brady to Lloyd than other receiver combos. At least once per game Lloyd is behind the coverage, or wide open and Brady ever-so-slightly OVERTHROWS him. It's maddening!! I don't know whose fault it is, as I am not a technical XX's & OO's kind of fan, but I did notice yesterday that when they went with 2 receiver sets, they were going with Welker and Edelman, so that probably tells me all I need to know. C'mon Brandon! Get on the same page as Brady! We need you! We acquired you to stretch the field.

My second vote is Hernandez. You've got to get back on the field, and be close to your optimal self. I am hoping that you've been held out these last couple of weeks as a precaution more than you're just not ready. We need you against the Jets!

My third vote is a tie between Shiancoe and Fells. One of you needs to step up and be at least 50% of what Gronk is (I realize no one will equal his contributions).

What say you?

Fells was a healthy scratch yesterday, so not sure where that deal is headed long term. Hoohoo was the third TE...and he made some nice blocks. You're not going to see the TE centric offense here again until they have the top two healthy simultaneously again.

Lloyd and Brady are going to need to connect on some deep balls. If we get Mankins and Connolly back that should really help the run game get going.

Mix of Shiancoe & Fells. I wouldn't rush Hernandez back, if there's any way to get by the next few weeks with running ball more. Maybe they'll use Cannon or another OL as an extra run blocker.

Lloyd and Brady are going to need to connect on some deep balls. If we get Mankins and Connolly back that should really help the run game get going.

Don't hold your breath. Didn't happen with a healthy interior line, not going to happen absent one. Brady is getting that ball out at warp speed. That was the focus of practice last week, getting open quick. Can't be trying to protect for long developing routes. Or concentrating on run blocking. Job one is keep the franchise up and dealing, he has enough options to make plays to win as long as everyone just executes.

Everyone. That said, Hernandez (whom Bedard says will be back Thursday and was only held out yesterday because of the short turnaround before the JETS) and one or two of the backup TE's and the old bell cow Welker. And situationally the usual suspects like Woody or Edelman and perhaps Branch if he can get the hammy healthy or Salas if he can do anything well enough to play even situationally yet. I think they have come to realize Lloyd is what he is, a #2 or #3 receiver who happens to line up on the outside but doesn't have deep speed or get a ton of seperation (yet alone the early seperation they need given the OL situation) or much YAC. He tends to be a feast or famime receiver here. He lost snaps to Edelman this week. But sometimes less equals more.

And the defense. Consistently.

As you say, everyone has to step it up.

But one of the strengths of this team is its versatility, especially on offense. It can win playing several different styles of football: running the ball, hurry up, spreading it out, etc. I don't think that the team should necessarily try to "replace" Gronk with a lesser TE in the same style. Instead, they can play more of a "move" style offense using faster, quicker guys who can greate mismatches: Hernandez, Welker, Edelman, Vereen, Woodhead. Mix it up with some power game using Ridley and the TEs. There's still a lot of weapons. And lots of guys will need to step up, as you say, on both sides of the ball.

As you say, everyone has to step it up.

But one of the strengths of this team is its versatility, especially on offense. It can win playing several different styles of football: running the ball, hurry up, spreading it out, etc. I don't think that the team should necessarily try to "replace" Gronk with a lesser TE in the same style. Instead, they can play more of a "move" style offense using faster, quicker guys who can greate mismatches: Hernandez, Welker, Edelman, Vereen, Woodhead. Mix it up with some power game using Ridley and the TEs. There's still a lot of weapons. And lots of guys will need to step up, as you say, on both sides of the ball.

True. I was amazed that last week Woodhead was a big focus of the offense and this week I think he got in on one play. At least the Gronk injury happened when they have time to prepare, instead of at the beginning of the game. I just keep thinking back to the SB when Gronk tried to play injured and our O was pretty ineffective. Maybe it's Josh McDaniels that has to step it up to come up with a solid game plan so the O doesn't get stalled.

Shiancoe....

I expect Hernandez to be back, which will ease the loss in terms of receiving. Shiancoe needs to be able to block, as well as catching a few seam routes.

The Patriots are, essentially, going to play the whole season without having the expected starting lineup together.

I will toss out another angle to this. Our OTs who have been great this year will be under slightly more stress as the DEs will be coming even harder as they will not be chipping at Gronks replacement at the same rate.

One of the wonderful things about bringing in all that depth at TE is that if one or both of Gronk and Hernandez got injured, we'd have capable bodies coming in to replace them in the short term. Of course, Gronk's replacement (probably Shiancoe) will have to step up. I'm voting Lloyd as well. He'll become a more featured part of the offense without Gronk in there. Hernandez will have to come back quickly as well.

True. I was amazed that last week Woodhead was a big focus of the offense and this week I think he got in on one play. At least the Gronk injury happened when they have time to prepare, instead of at the beginning of the game. I just keep thinking back to the SB when Gronk tried to play injured and our O was pretty ineffective. Maybe it's Josh McDaniels that has to step it up to come up with a solid game plan so the O doesn't get stalled.

Mankins was playing poorly on a torn ACL. Gronk had no lift and little push. Brady said in his comments post game, it all starts and ends in the trenches, where there is little fantasy value... Few makeshift OL's can pass block and run block equally well, let in within the same game... They'll game plan to do what they believe makes the most sense matchup/talent wise with pass blocking likely always remaining the larger priority. It certainly was in that game where Riddley was benched and Vereen was on IR and our depth TE's were OLinemen.

One of the wonderful things about bringing in all that depth at TE is that if one or both of Gronk and Hernandez got injured, we'd have capable bodies coming in to replace them in the short term. Of course, Gronk's replacement (probably Shiancoe) will have to step up. I'm voting Lloyd as well. He'll become a more featured part of the offense without Gronk in there. Hernandez will have to come back quickly as well.

Lloyd was not in 2 WR sets yesterday. He lost snaps to Edelman. He seems better suited to the 3rd WR at best. None of the TE's representing depth on the roster have had time to develop any rapore capability to replace Gronk or Hernandez as anything more than bodies. Hoohoo has actually had his moments as a blocker... There is a reason we've been running 3 wide sets and Branch had been racking up snaps along side Welker as Edelman did yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes