Welcome to PatsFans.com

Oil over $60

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 19, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Anyone paying attention to this. I know PC & I have been saying oil would spike, so should we be concerned?

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 26 / -33

Heard this the other day and the recent rise is attributed to a pipeline getting bombed in Kenya and a refinery fire in the US.. otoh who really knows..

3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

I find it very hard to put this into perspective since there's such little transparency. Not sure where I stand on the peak oil thing either. My gut tells me that the oil is gonna run out sometime but I don't know if I believe it's gonna be as soon as some think.

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I'm not a peak oil guy either really. I too, through common sense, figure it's going to run out at some point, but I think increases in global development (demand) is more of a modern day issue. Still, the price is rising, and I think the worthlessness of currency might be a factor.

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The reality of Peak Oil is really beyond debate, besides with the Jerome Corsi's of the world, and in their case, it's hardly rational. If anyone is still counting, that's 42 of 50 oil producing nations in irreversible decline. Up from 33 of 48 just 4 years ago.

Then there's Saudi admission last month that they will not meet demand for the "foreseeable future." As if they have some willful choice in the matter. Meanwhile, they're pumping sea water into Ghawar in order to get out the remaining oil -- the death knell procedure in any oil field.

Oil should have never dipped below $100/bl, and every last dime should have been poured into finding alternatives, and transferring to those alternatives as fast as humanly possible.

You can expect severe price shocks this summer. And if it's an oppressively hot summer? Incredible stress on the (aging and outdated) energy grid and wide-spread brown outs like we saw in 2003.

This modest and temporary "stabilizing period" after the banking crashes is exactly what Celente, and Heinberg and Simmons and Ruppert all predicted last Christmas. When this ends, it's over. It is my admittedly gloomy prediction that the "Summer of Hell" is heading downhill at us like a freight train. I do hope I'm wrong.

And before you start, PR, if you don't like it, block it.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

As for the predicted "brownouts" and other signs of energy shortage on the electrical grid: you can thank the Clam Shell Alliance and all the other namby-pamby do-gooder self-righteous freeks for destroying America's chance to stay ahead of this curve 35 years ago by preventing the expansion of nuclear energy. Their bad.

//

7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It's so annoying when you chime in with your tangents on energy threads. You routinely don't know what you're talking about.

Big fan of nuclear, are ya? Did you know that the world can only meet 58% of its uranium demand, currently? Yeah, that's peaked also. And, even if you could have it your way, where would you opt to put the megatons of the most toxic substance known to man? Back into the ground? Space?

8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, I was thinking of putting it in your basement, actually. But wait!!... "megatons" is "millions of tons" ... MILLIONS of tons!???

I think you're more than a little confused, drama queen, you need a well-deserved rest. You've been up all night trolling the internet. Time for beddy-byes!! :D ............. rock-a-by-baby-in-the-treetop..... :singing:

:D

//

9. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I am. Just in time for summer it seems! My guess - it spikes this summer then goes back down in time for winter, as it has (from what I recall) the last few years. People will put up with high oil costs in the summer, but when they're heating oil bills go up, that's when people will really want to start to see change as home and car costs go up. My guess is that's it's the oil companies way of spiking profits without rocking the cradle so much that people demand alternatives. This is completely uninformed, however.

10. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I can't believe anybody is "shocked" by any of this. OPEC said months ago they were going to cut back production to stimulate a rise in prices ... they said they are aiming for $75/bbl .... so.... why the "surprise"???

:confused:

//

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

If it does spike, I'll be very curious to see how Obama is treated. Presidents don't hod much, if any sway in the price of oil, but the people get mad at them none the less.

12. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The O-man is going to get slack coming out the kazooo for a long time. But, if it really gets nasty (-er) I predict the mob will turn on him, too. All depends on what the nets do. If the media pounds him the mob generally follows. The media really does control peoples' minds in America, sad to say. Scary to say. ("the Ochs-Sulzbergers are your brain ..." :woohoo: ----> :nooo: )

//

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 26 / -33

The Rupert Murdoch's & his crew have no media influence :eek::eek::eek:

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

How the fog would you know?

15. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +42 / 7 / -4

#24 Jersey

Oil will be $25/bbl within the next 8 months. This run up is just like the last runup- pure speculation by market thugs.

16. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Wow! You're optimistic!

But, be advised: you're going to cause PC's head to explode. He'll try to hold you personally responsible.

But, never fear for hope is near!! Play him this audio clip, minute 65: http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2009/04/25/

//

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I believe you're confusing me, oddly, with Fogbuster, who's the only one between the two of us who has twice-monthly meltdowns like clockwork...

18. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, you are on record as calling for "$100 a barrel is the right price" .... :eek:......:eek:......:eek:..... ( :nooo: ) and though you have recently managed to control your urge to "knock (people) down, I'm more than confident...", everybody knows you have a little "melt-down" in your veins .... ;)...... c'mon now, BE HONEST.

//

19. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

if the world got 30mpgs, oil would be $10 barrel

but it is so much more important to look and act big

[​IMG]

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

it's not that it's "right"... it's simply that you must have incentive to spend on alternatives and transfer.... oil at $25/bl is just as catastrophic as oil at $200/bl

you understand this, yes? oh, wait, what am i thinking?.... your post history indicates you have no idea what you're talking about regarding energy. none.

Last edited: May 21, 2009