PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oil Can Stadium video - you have to see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www2.indystar.com/images/graphics/2006/04/0421_stadium_promo/

I stopped watching after 20 seconds of it.

"Lucas Oil, an industry leader setting the standards for excellence joins forces with one of the NFL's most celebrated franchises, the Indianapolis Colts, who present a symbol of success."

AFC_CHAMPIONSHIP_AF_6143258.jpg

Oh yeah, success all right!

Last edited:
Ad Campaign

Lucas Oil:Wont wear out your rings! Indianapolis Colts:What Rings?

Yuk....Lucas Oil...and Colts??

Ok. watched the hole thing and here are my comments:

1) WTF are they bothering with a retractable roof and ends that open? You know Manning and Vinatieri will be whining to shut them before game time each week.

2) The 4 Jumbotrons in the corners are unique, but a waste, personally.

3) The Colts are going to have to really pipe in the noise with this place because the accoustics are going to stink.

4) I'm not sure how warm the place will be with all that GLASS and the seams for the retractable roof.

5) The place looks like a train yard from the distance.

6) The parking looks like its going to be a nightmare to get out after games.

The thing is a glorified barn. At least Indy fans will feel at home.

they should just nut up and play in an outdoor stadium...the way football was meant to be played.

Looks a lot like Reliant Stadium with the addition of the open air ends.

Boston Boxer said:
they should just nut up and play in an outdoor stadium...the way football was meant to be played.

Ohhhhhh no, no way! How dare those decision makers even contemplate building an outdoor stadium... you know those outdoor stadiums are open to the elements of nature and God forbid those diehard multi-millionaire season ticket holders get snowed or (gasp) rained on! Thankfully the front offices of both the NFL and MLB are basically forcing owners to put those beautiful retractable roofs on their new stadiums. :rolleyes:

Here's the thread I got this from:

http://www2.indystar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146107

And some of the responses to the indoor/outdoor notion:

Quietman (Pats Fan) said:
Indoor football stadiums aren't the "class" of anything, they're monuments to ****ification.

Colts Fan said:
Still don't understand the "outside" freaks. All sports have undergone advances (technological and biological). ANYTIME a human being can make something smarter and easier is a testemonial to our learning advances. Work smarter, not harder. I suppose cinder running tracks are better than asphalt or rubber? I suppose they all drive horse and buggies because of the pollution? I suppose they all use fires instead of stoves? I suppose they all use fans instead of air conditioners? I prefer to watch a game in the nice 75 degrees without a bunch of slipping and sliding. Make the plays like they were written. It's nice to not freeze for 7 hours (including tailgating, pre-game, post-game, tailgating).

Colts Fan said:
Bad weather negates talent and allows mediocre teams to steal games.

Colts Fan said:
And you can't play basketball outside in March, so it needs a roof for the FINAL FOUR. You know, that tournement that makes the city of Indy $70 million + every four years. And they need a roof for the conventions and other groups that will come in and sell stuff and have meetings and would like to have roof over their head because their conventions will work better if they weren't freezing to death. IF conventions where best held in artic conditions, they would all meet in Green Bay.

This building isn't just for the Colts, it's got to be used on 40 some other weekends in order for the city to afford it and that means in crappy weather and that means a roof. Only the terminally stupid don't get this and Ron White is right, you can't fix it.

Quietman (Pats Fan) said:
No, bad weather identifies the ****ies and the pretenders, i.e. Colts. Hey, apparently indoor stadiums do too, even when the refs try to give them the game.

Colts = indoor/outdoor wussies. Can't win.

Colts Fan said:
A Patriots fan whining about another team supposedly being given games by refs.

I have seen it all.

Colts Fan said:
Could you be a bigger idiot? Putting the Colts aside is their any possibility that the building of this new facility and making sure that it is useable all year round makes sense for the city of Indianapolis?

Colts Fan said:
Here is what I do know and did not need it "written" to understand it. As anything else in this world that we currently enjoy that has been around for 50, 75, 100 years or longer there are bound to be improvements made. Football is a perfect example all by itself, starts with a simple set of rules and then mans innovations take over from that point on. My guess is when the game started being played the technology simply did not exist to accommodate the game indoors as does today, that's just a guess remember. Maybe you with all your ultimate wisdom and vast amounts of knowledge can disprove that point. Of course they could have started the tradition of playing during the summer months but common sense of the day said why conflict with baseball. Something tells me that the founding fathers of the game probably didn't sit around discussing "manhood and ****ification" when it came to the types of arenas they would play in. See there really were no options available for them to discuss.

You could say that communication falls into the same type of example. From the written word to the the telegraph to the telephone to the computer/internet. Once again as the centuries and then the decades passed by those responsible for the inventions and innovations improving how we communicate probably didn't sit around discussing how "plagues of a****holes" such as yourself could be prevented from exposing yourself to the masses. See they didn't really have any options available nor experience to draw from either. They simply could not have contemplated the type of mentality that would be displayed in this forum that you display in every single post you make.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are negative.

I think the place looks good. The retractable roof allows them to have outdoor games and yet protects their ability to still host Superbowls. Not to mention getting U2 to play there in February. It gets colder up there than it does in NE - I don't blame them for having a part time roof.

And the parking lot looks like a nice place to have a tailgate party.

Good for them.

Burgess said:
Wow you guys are negative.

I think the place looks good. The retractable roof allows them to have outdoor games and yet protects their ability to still host Superbowls. Not to mention getting U2 to play there in February. It gets colder up there than it does in NE - I don't blame them for having a part time roof.

And the parking lot looks like a nice place to have a tailgate party.

Good for them.

Give me a break. That roof and the barn doors at the end will never be open in weather under 70's outside. Manning is too much of a wimp.

DaBruinz said:
Give me a break. That roof and the barn doors at the end will never be open in weather under 70's outside. Manning is too much of a wimp.

Why so much hate? I love Manning. He always chokes in the big games against the Pats (or anyone else apparently). He's been tremendous fun to have around these last several years.

As for the stadium. It looks good. The Colts aren't allowed to have a nice stadium? It's not like they'll ever have more revenue than the Pats. What's to worry about? Seriously, why are people being so snarky?

A retractible roof was a good decision for them. They can close it late in the season against experienced cold weather teams or keep it open against the soft southern teams. And it bears repeating - they can now still host a Super Bowl.

But best of all. More revenue for them means less revenue the Pats have to kick in to keep them afloat. More money for signing bonuses.

I live near Philly these days and while I have no fondness for the local teams here I do have to admit the football and baseball stadiums look nice. Which is good because someday I'd like to see the Sox/Pats play there and when I do I want it to be fun. Perhaps someday I'll be able to see a Colts/Pats game in Indy and I'd rather it be in this new stadium than an ugly dome.

Burgess said:
Why so much hate? I love Manning. He always chokes in the big games against the Pats (or anyone else apparently). He's been tremendous fun to have around these last several years.

As for the stadium. It looks good. The Colts aren't allowed to have a nice stadium? It's not like they'll ever have more revenue than the Pats. What's to worry about? Seriously, why are people being so snarky?

A retractible roof was a good decision for them. They can close it late in the season against experienced cold weather teams or keep it open against the soft southern teams. And it bears repeating - they can now still host a Super Bowl.

But best of all. More revenue for them means less revenue the Pats have to kick in to keep them afloat. More money for signing bonuses.

I live near Philly these days and while I have no fondness for the local teams here I do have to admit the football and baseball stadiums look nice. Which is good because someday I'd like to see the Sox/Pats play there and when I do I want it to be fun. Perhaps someday I'll be able to see a Colts/Pats game in Indy and I'd rather it be in this new stadium than an ugly dome.

quit being a wuss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing