PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ohrnberger: how's he looked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not hyperbole. It is my opinion.

My opinion is that I would not expect the patriots to change its long standing strategy of giving 3th and 4th round draft choice at least one season to develop unless the player is absolutely hopeless.
Then I beg your pardon. We'll have to see if BB wants the potential of the 4th round kid or the current productivity of one of Dante's developmental projects.

It is not hyperbole. It is my opinion.

My opinion is that I would not expect the patriots to change its long standing strategy of giving 3th and 4th round draft choice at least one season to develop unless the player is absolutely hopeless.

Referencing a strategy as long-standing only makes sense in the context of Bill Belichick's tenure. Yes, you are correct that the thirty seasons of following draft choices gives you data and precedent, but the years before Belichick got here are irrelevant. Those years have no bearing on this decision. It does not matter what Pete Carroll or Ron Meyer or Ron Rust would have done. Moreover, it does not even really matter what Belichick has done in the past, as he seems to take all decisions on a case by case basis.

Belichick has never been part of a patriot team that has cut a 4th rounder. Is that better? In as DECADE of being in charge, he hasn't done so.

And yes, it is possible that Ohrnberger is so hopeless that Belichick makes one of those case-by-case decisions.

Personally, I think the IR is more likely than him being cut outright.

Referencing a strategy as long-standing only makes sense in the context of Bill Belichick's tenure. Yes, you are correct that the thirty seasons of following draft choices gives you data and precedent, but the years before Belichick got here are irrelevant. Those years have no bearing on this decision. It does not matter what Pete Carroll or Ron Meyer or Ron Rust would have done. Moreover, it does not even really matter what Belichick has done in the past, as he seems to take all decisions on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
Belichick has never been part of a patriot team that has cut a 4th rounder. Is that better? In as DECADE of being in charge, he hasn't done so.

And yes, it is possible that Ohrnberger is so hopeless that Belichick makes one of those case-by-case decisions.

Personally, I think the IR is more likely than him being cut outright.

BB does like to hide them on IR, but they usually end up getting cut. Linebacker Oscar Lua, cornerback Mike Richardson, runningback Justise Hairston, and linebacker Bo Ruud come to mind as those not showing enough to make the team, getting put on IR, and then still not showing enough to make the team. Richardson, admittedly had more than one chance.

If Ohrnberger gets "hidden" on IR, it means that he's either really hurt (doubtful), or he wasn't what they thought he would be.

I agree. The question is whether to give him another chance next year. I don't believe that he has developed as fast as we expected.

BB does like to hide them on IR, but they usually end up getting cut. Linebacker Oscar Lua, cornerback Mike Richardson, runningback Justise Hairston, and linebacker Bo Ruud come to mind as those not showing enough to make the team, getting put on IR, and then still not showing enough to make the team. Richardson, admittedly had more than one chance.

If Ohrnberger gets "hidden" on IR, it means that he's either really hurt (doubtful), or he wasn't what they thought he would be.

I agree. The question is whether to give him another chance next year. I don't believe that he has developed as fast as we expected.
I don't know what expectation you have, but then, in general, it's a major failing of Patriots fans to expect rookies to perform as All-Pros regardless of draft status.

The question isn't whether to give him another chance next season, it's:
-- whether he's currently, or potentially, better than one of the other candidates for the two likely reserve C/G slots,
-- how much better would he be if allowed to develop on the Practice Squad,
-- and is he an investment who is likely to be lost if exposed on waivers - if yes, what does NE do with him?

You, and others, propose "hiding" him on IR where his chance of developing to his full potential will be limited, or cutting one of the other candidates who has gotten the job done in Camp and keeping the kid as a gameday inactive. I suggest that he is not "hopeless" (not to me, not to Dante, not to BB) and also not ready to bypass Wendell or Connolly (or Yates for that matter) as a reserve, inactive or not, and the best approach - for the team - is to try to get him past waivers and onto the Practice Squad where he can develop and be available as an injury replacement.

If you lose a 4th round pick to a waiver claim, c'est la vie! I have been pleasantly surprised with the progress of Wendell and Connolly and I'm no longer as anxious for the reserve C/G slots as I was when the primary options were Yates and Hochstein.

Belichick has never been part of a patriot team that has cut a 4th rounder. Is that better? In as DECADE of being in charge, he hasn't done so. QUOTE]

Kareem Brown was cut as a rookie who was drafted in the 4th round, albeit in November. That was two seasons ago.

Clearly, and based on the looks I've gotten in preseason, not to mention the Training Camp reports of who played when, Wendell and Connolly have stepped up and moved ahead of Billy Yates, who has been ahead of Hochstein for two seasons.

Yates ahead of Hochstein for 2 seasons? That's news to me. If he was ahead in 2007, then why didn't he replace Neal in the SB?

My .02 about OBurger's future: he stays, Dan My Man Connelly unfortunately goes.

Yates ahead of Hochstein for 2 seasons? That's news to me. If he was ahead in 2007, then why didn't he replace Neal in the SB?

My .02 about OBurger's future: he stays, Dan My Man Connelly unfortunately goes.
I believe Billy was nursing an injury for the SB, but my memory may be playing tricks. I do know he took game reps ahead of Russ in 2007, and didn't play that badly - which is why his 2008 play was so disappointing.

The players named were actually injured. If Ohrnberger isn't injured, the Patriots can't hide him on IR, especially after the whole spygate thing. Folks out there are looking for that and it interferes with a player's career, to put him on IR when he could have been on the practice squad for another team and had a chance to learn and develop.

I wish the conspiracy people would stop suggesting that the Patriots can hide someone on IR. [/rant]

The players named were actually injured. If Ohrnberger isn't injured, the Patriots can't hide him on IR, especially after the whole spygate thing. Folks out there are looking for that and it interferes with a player's career, to put him on IR when he could have been on the practice squad for another team and had a chance to learn and develop.

I wish the conspiracy people would stop suggesting that the Patriots can hide someone on IR. [/rant]
Exactly, Richardson was actually exposed by waiving him and giving him an injury settlement - on the other hand it means he can be re-signed later. Lua, Hairston, and Ruud where 6th round or later guys who were borderline to begin with - and Lua stunk in preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes