Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ohrnberger: how's he looked?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by klinefan, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klinefan

klinefan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was early in saying he was a complete waste of a 4th round pick. Just another mistake and that he'd make the PS but that's about it. So how's he done? JAG level of play?

I also said they wouldn't sign Wilfork to a huge contract and that they could get what he gives for much less. It was called one of the stupidest posts ever by some "poster" on here but I think it was prescient. I'd like to rub that in his face too...wish I could remember who said it.

2. Jimke

Jimke In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +70 / 4 / -2

Re: Ohrnberger-how's he looked?

The thing that scares me on both Ohrnberger and Wendell is how small they

are compared to the other offensive linemen. Are they big enough to be

effective blockers?

3. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +326 / 4 / -2

#75 Jersey

Considering he is way behind all the others due to injury he is going to be a tough evaluation for the fans and coaches alike. He will be lucky to make the team. It's not like he was making nice strides like McKenzie at LB who was put on the IR as we all know.

4. klinefan

klinefan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've noticed that too...he's tiny. 6'2" 290, but he looks smaller. Someone loses their job over this pick, IMO.

5. klinefan

klinefan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chronically "injured" too...great. Maybe he's prolonging his injury as he knows he can't hack it and will be cut?

6. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 18 / -8

#3 Jersey

Ummm . . . your Wilfork prediction isn't looking prescient just yet. There's that little issue of, you know, a salary cap to deal with.

7. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

McKenzie was making "nice strides?" He was injured in Rookie Camp! :confused2:

You are quite correct, Orhnberger is trying to play catch-up after missing time due to injury to start camp. At present he has flashes of how solid he could be, and he makes mental mistakes - in other words, he looks like a rookie in his early days, but not a bad pick-up at all.

Newsflash: Dante has a trend happening at both OT and OC/OG...
    -- OTs are getting taller, since Britt 6'8" was signed to the Practice Squad, all OT have been 6'7" or taller. Britt 6'8", O'Callaghan 6'7", LeVoir 6'7", Vollmer 6'8".
    -- More recently, Dante's OC/OG candidates have been shrinking. Wendell 6'2", Orhnberger 6'2", Bussey 6'2". Johnson at 6'4" was a veteran anomaly. Prior to Wendell Dante was acquiring 6'4" kids, with Billy Yates at 6'2" the exception.

Regarding the complaint in other posts about the weight of Wendell and Orhnberger - Wendell has bulked up quite a bit from last preseason. He looks like Dan Koppen who plays around 300 if you can believe the NE roster. He's also looked good in preseason, I currently have Wendell and Connelly as the #3 & #4 interior OL reserves. I'm expecting Orhnberger and Bussey to be waived and signed to the Practice Squad - if no one else claims them - Bussey already has the desired weight, and Orhnberger is closer to 300 than Wendell was, they'll get fed up and muscled up nicely by Coach Woicik and Coach Nash.

8. farn

farn 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +92 / 2 / -4

Someone's looked good... otherwise, they wouldn't have traded Hoch.

9. primetime

primetime Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +537 / 56 / -30

#18 Jersey

I, too, was expecting this fourth round pick to perform as well as John Hannah by his third preseason game. As he has not come close to meeting these expectations, I say cut his ass.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  10. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Well spoken sir! However, to play Devil's advocate as it were, whom would you cut from the OL to keep him? ;)

11. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

One factor is that both starting guards are in contract years. When you combine that with the FO's apparent enthusiasm to trade up for him and that they haven't had much of a chance to see him on the field ... I don't think they'll cut him unless they're fairly sure someone else won't pick him up. I'm thinking that 4th round picks don't tend to survive waivers real well.

So in answer to your question, I don't know who else on the OL, but perhaps another player at another spot. I'd say Slater :) but that would get us sidetracked just a tad.

12. Metaphors

Metaphors In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You are right on and I don't suspect this is a coincidence. Tall tackles with long arms can guide pass rushers without having to lock on them (making them vulnerable to a swim/spin move). Shorter interior lineman give Brady (6'4") better sight lines. Probably a bunch of other considerations but those quickly come to mind.

As for Orhnberger, there have been some gaping holes for the running game when he has been on the field. I haven't been able to zoom in on him specifically, but that gives me some cause for optimism.

13. Box_O_Rocks

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I have yet to watch for him in the Redskins game, but the first two games made most of their holes behind Wendell and Connelly.

14. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +586 / 45 / -19

We have room for two backup interior linemen on the 53 man squad. One of these needs to be able to be the Game Day backup for LG. RG and C. The candidates are Wendall, Connolly, Ohrnberger and a player yet to signed.

I don't recall the last time we cut a rookie 4th rounder. Of course, it might matter some that the team though some of him that they traded Hobbs to get the picks to trade for the pick used for Ohrnberger.

IR is certainly a possibility of Ohrnberger. He just doesn't seem to have recovered from his injuries yet. :)

15. patriot lifer

patriot lifer 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

i remember Garrett Mills (TE) getting cut and picked up (also a 4th rounder, and right after David Thomas), but i think that was his second year in the league. BB was pretty upset with Childress over that one.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  16. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +330 / 60 / -40

No Jersey Selected

How does OBurger look?

Short, small, and way, Way, WAY over-drafted. Bill should've chosen Lawrence Sidbury instead.

17. TheComeback

TheComeback 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Shorter interior lineman also have a lower center of gravity to deal with big defensive tackles. I think a 6'2" 300 lb guy with a good stance is going to be really tough to push around on the inside, and probably more "built" than a 6'8" guy who weighs the same.

18. Synovia

Synovia In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He's done some really nice blocking at the second level.

19. klinefan

klinefan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yep. Couldn't agree more.

T-rex armed, small, light, weak, JAG ish. Played in a weak conference. WTF is with this pick? How is he better than any other JAG they can get as an UDFA or on the waiver wire.

4th round picks can be gold, but you actually have to put some thought into it.

20. Hercules Rockefeller

Hercules Rockefeller Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0

I have noticed a tendency for klinefan to determine that whenever a draft pick does not meet expectations, someone should lose their job. If that were the case, there would be no employees in any front offices; nobody gets all of their draft choices right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.