Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ohhhhh Theocons, any thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jun 23, 2009.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

Iranian women stand up in defiance, flout rules - CNN.com

As I recall, I've read dozens of posts here by our fringe right wingnuts about the terrible societal effects of women in the workplace, and screeds lauding their embracing of traditional roles.

Evidently Iranians Theocons have exactly the same problem as American Theocons; to wit, women vote. And in Iran they still occasionally protest.

So how about it, fellas, which side are you on? Doesn't this sort of thing lead to divorces and single parenthood, and all variety of terrible, terrible social ills?

That's what the Iranian Theocons say. That's what the American Theocons say. Hmmmmm.

Quick coda: As of 37 minutes ago, CNN is reporting that Iranian clerics are even getting into the protest act. I doubt they're chanting "right on sisters!" But something tells me the usual bleating about liberal values destroying the family isn't being rattled off either :D

PFnV
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  2. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I hear a talking sphincter
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I heard about the clerics i think this is BIG. My "killer instinct" tells me this is the moment to topple the current regime.
  4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Talking........ to........yourself...... again........spanked...... You put the Deuch in Bag.
  5. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

so.....what''s your story? you're no different......welcome to the club......here's your dunce cap, you have earned it
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

Where are the anti war people (the bush haters)
  7. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

WOW you called me a dunce i'm really hurt.
    School got out today i heard, did you make it to the 9th grade
  8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

dude.......you come up with some stupid-arsed attempts at insults.........
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

It took you all this time to come up with this. This is the best you can do? You've been on here for a while calling people idiots, dumb, stupid morons etc. You post at a junior high school level, so when i ask did you make it into high school it really wasn't an insult. I was asking wazz up.
  10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

You on the other hand, my friend, have demonstrated how one unequivicolly, unquestionably can be demonstrated to have insulted another member.

In fact, I don't think anyone could view your first post in this thread otherwise. :)

Now on to those who actually want to discuss the topic matter - yep, it is huge. The clerics aren't even acting as one. This is an enormous difference from the "Wall of Islam" (with apologies to Stan Ridgeway) we're used to portraying. We're observers here, obviously. This situation serves up surprise after surprise. It's amazing the unravelling that happens when a regime is held together by fear of the "other" - now there's no "other" threatening is precisely the time we see just how un-monolithic even the most supposedly stalwart regime is.

And I am amazed by something else here: our lack of depth of knowledge about Islam, viewed from within.

We remember the Iran of the 70s and we disregard the 1990s, and we cannot imagine that Muslim clerics and Muslim women would make common cause -- but evidently, that is happening. Who would have predicted, particularly given the speeches we all put up with from our local American Theocons, that if Iranian women lead, Iranian clerics would follow?

Sarkoczy in France is playing a very strange game as well: he's saying that the burqa should be outlawed, even if voluntarily worn.

Huh? Well, it is the country of Rousseau, who espoused "forcing" people "to be free."

Strange days indeed.

PFnV
  11. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Your breath still smells the same. :cool:
  12. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

You're in the wrong century, Fuzzy Navel.

The Nineteenth Amendment. 1920. You can look it up.

What example can you give that conservatives are clamoring for undoing this? I notice you provide not a scintilla.

I happen to be in favor of repealing the Nineteenth Amendment. But there's me and Laurence Auster...and that's about it.

The only amendment people seek to destroy is the Second, through such actions as the appointment of Harold Koh to the State Department and then, eventually, it is surmised, to SCOTUS.
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Women's rule is on the way. Get ready. But there's a diff between the women of Iran who risk their lives and the skanks like Pelosi, Boxer, and Feinstein who risk nothing but push for more for themselves. Selfish women will be stoned, but public-minded women will win.

Yup.

//
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Very interesting this Unification Minister, how does justice work in your religion????
  15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

For obvious reasons, it's sometimes difficult to tell when you are joking. Are you waxing positively Pauline via double-entendre regarding drug use, or are you predicting a future in which people will throw big freaking rocks at women until they die?

(Note: in some Theocon bastions, as we all know, that's already the custom.)

PFnV
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +372 / 3 / -15

I'd chime in but I'm not a theocon...:p
  17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

I see, Harvey Wallbanger. You are of the impression that because women voted in the 1920s, you can disregard their impact in 2008.

Good luck with the whole "political" thing.

You need only read the thread. Our local Theocons clamor for the stoning of "selfish" women on this very page. Of course this is a guy who will explain to you about how he beat the crap out of his wife on their wedding day. (It's okay, she hit back.)

Then we have the thread saying Sen. Barbara Boxer is arrogant for requesting that a general call her "Senator," specifying that she worked very hard to get that title and would like it to be used. Who is said thread cheered by? The usual collection of local fringe righties.

Then there's the guy who rails against someone named "Auntie Pelosi" and "Pants Suit Hillary", not to mention "Billy Blue-Dress," who is reduced to a single sex act, despite the eight years of prosperity he brought this country. Perhaps you'll have noted a parody note or two in the last week or so of this particular savant.

And that's just the locals, Harvey.

Need I remind you that a doctor who worked in women's health services was murdered for the ideals of the Theocons just weeks ago? Need I remind you that the Theocons are constantly beating the drum about some kind of law about what women can and can't do, right down to what they can and can't wear?

Guess what, Harvey. Women here don't like it any better. That's why they tend to vote Democratic, particularly at the Presidential level. It's one big reason that Gore won in 2000 -- as we all know -- and why Obama won in 2008, so convincingly that the GOP machine couldn't pull an Ahmadinejad on him.

There's a big surprise. Frankly, it would be convenient for a lot of the fringies, but they don't say so.

But having decided that Theocons with the same exact problem as you about the 19th amendment are the only ones with a problem with women, I suppose you have established that your imbalance, as espoused, is only rarely so publicly espoused. That's something I suppose :D

PFnV
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

Sarkoczy And His Burqa's
    What he's really saying is "France has a problem"
  19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +555 / 7 / -9

What Sarkoczy is really saying is he thinks he's slick and can channel anti-Muslim popular feeling through a leftist bigotry rather than a rightist one. Sarkoczy proclaims voluntarily chosen garb to be insulting if it is not acceptable to Western sensibilities.

Voluntarily chosen dress cannot be demeaning. Only involuntary forced acceptance of dress - whether modern French or tradional Islamic - is demeaning.

PFnV
  20. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

It's called a straw-man's argument.

Present an argument no mainstream conservative is propounding and then argue that they are propounding it, so you can shoot it down. Classic.

I like my new name. Some day I want to meet you. Which gov't entity do you work for? DOT? I know someone there. I hope it's not Labor. Those people emerge at the end of the day without faces!