PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh-WAH-mahg-bay Oh-dih-gee-zoo-wah

All of our boards are shot to hell at the moment.

The way I see it right now:

Sign Shelley Smith or trade for Evan Mathis
Sign Bush, Harvin, Spiller or Thomas
Sign Wilfork, Bryant, Fairley, Branch, Ellis or other DT (probably to a 1 year deal)

in Draft

Round One priority:

1. CB
2. DT
3. LT (Solder insurance if they deem it necessary)

We could trade up from 64 and get a CB and DT in top 50.

Draft a mid-late round OG like Jamil Douglas
Double dip at CB
Double dip at DT
TE.

That's how I see things right now.

Sign Wilfork, Bryant, Fairley, Branch, Ellis or other DT (probably to a 1 year deal)

in Draft

Round One priority:

1. CB
2. DT

Double dip at CB
Double dip at DT
TE.

Reasonable. My current thoughts:

FA: Sign a guard, a 3rd down RB and 1-2 DTs. I like Fairley and Ellis at DT. Smith and Mathis are good guard upgrades over Connolly, depending on the price for Mathis. He's a very good guard, but his age and cap hit scare me.

The draft: I'd still take Todd Gurley at 32 if he's available (unlikely) as the BPA, otherwise probably the best CB. Marcus Peters, Jalen Collins and Byron Jones are the most intriguing. Given the CB talent I don't see OL being a better value. I still want Hardison and Ali Marpet on day 2. I'd consider another DB at 97. Get Marcus Peters and Eric Rowe and you have a couple of really good, physical press-man CBs to build on for 2016, with 2015 a bridge year. If I got Gurley in the 1st then I'd try and double up with guys like Josh Shaw and Eric Rowe. Then add a day 3 OL, as you suggest, and a developmental WR.

Still in flux, but that's a start for me.

in Draft

Round One priority:

1. CB
2. DT

Double dip at CB
Double dip at DT
TE.

I liked this up until you have a CB taken with the first pick. While that may work for other teams it seems the patriots of the last ten years are cursed when it comes to CBs taken in the draft working out. I'd rather go for option #2 D-line along with at least signing Fairly.

With he CB situation and the addition of Sheard, I to think guys like Diggy and Hunter will not be Patriots. Two of my favorites in the class. They will be missed. Losing Revis really messed things up.

I liked this up until you have a CB taken with the first pick. While that may work for other teams it seems the patriots of the last ten years are cursed when it comes to CBs taken in the draft working out. I'd rather go for option #2 D-line along with at least signing Fairly.

Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. #cb

Dennard, Ryan and Butler (FA) are more than serviceable considering where they were taken. and of course there is McCourty. I firmly believe the Patriot's scouting post 2010 is better than it was in he previous three years or so.

Dennard, Ryan and Butler (FA) are more than serviceable considering where they were taken. and of course there is McCourty. I firmly believe the Patriot's scouting post 2010 is better than it was in he previous three years or so.
yeah i agree on those cbs, i meant the cbs taken in the higher ounds like darious butler, ri dowling etc. i'm not going to go back and research who was taken and turned out to be a bust. A few years ago i went back ten years and looked at all the dbs taken in the first three rounds, i Think 13 dbs were taken and the only one that panned out was mccourty. For years this team drafted dbs on the first day and ignored the d-line. Besides from what ive read this years db class isn't very good, so why reach for one in the first two ronds.

Last edited:
Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. #cb
i'm not talking about ignoring the problem, bolster the d-line significantly up-grading the pass rush would make adequate dbs a lot better. if you remember back in the day (early 2000's) the pats had one top cb ty law. They put an 'adequate' cb on the opposite him, the difference the those teams had a much better pass rush. They were able to mask that-deficiency buy not giving the opposing qb time to throw.

Last edited:
yeah i agree on those cbs, i meant the cbs taken in the higher ounds like darious butler, ri dowling etc. i'm not going to go back and research who wass taken and turned out to be a bust. Ive done it before and i'm sure there are enough posters out there who know who i'm talking about.

I understand, I just think there's been a shift in their abilities to scout. There have been less high profile busts in the last three years. Dobson comes closest. I think they can find a good CB high in the draft.

Now that we have Sheard, I think, reluctantly, that Diggy comes off my board. Shame.

Yep, he doesn't make much sense now. I see it as a blessed simplification to my decision tree.

Yep, he doesn't make much sense now. I see it as a blessed simplification to my decision tree.

With Reggie Bush leaving but not signing, my "tree" just got a little more confused.

With Reggie Bush leaving but not signing, my "tree" just got a little more confused.

Seems like the role BB has in mind for him doesn’t call for the pay Bush hoped for.

Usually, I'd say he will be back once he sees the reality of the market but this year teams went batshit crazy overpaying/trading big contracts so who knows..

It seems to me that CB is the ultimate wildcard position in the draft. Supposed elite corners are mostly going in the top 20. But only a few of them actually end up being worth the draft pick (see Kyle Wilson, Dee Milliner or Justin Gilbert in last few years). Then if you draft outside the top 20 your odds of hitting a good CB go down even more.

In other words I am not surprised that our late selections didn't turn into shutdown, elite corners and I doubt it has to do with development.

Seems like the role BB has in mind for him doesn’t call for the pay Bush hoped for.

Usually, I'd say he will be back once he sees the reality of the market but this year teams went batshit crazy overpaying/trading big contracts so who knows..

CJ Spiller signing a 4 year contract the same day probably hurt, have to think Bush sees himself worth the same as Spiller and BB isn't paying 4 years 18m with 9m guaranteed to a RB.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back