PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh, Those TRICKY PATRIOTS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a new set for them, staple of the championship defenses. Really got recognition in the early playoff battles vs the Colts. Then, much like now, it's was a function of taking the pre-snap read away from Manning to help beat his line checks. This is turn both limits the number of potential audibles and provides a better rushing avenue. Back then, it was great because it was highly effective in flushing Manning. It was the key to shutting him down back then and it still holds true today. It's a cool d.

For me, this season has really been a fun one to watch. It's the first time I've ever been able to watch, process and understand it's design in real time. It's incredible to watch this Coach (the legendary defensive genius- arguably the greatest coach in history of the sport) take players he has chosen and develop them into his new unit. We're watching the legacy this guy is going to leave develop in front of our eyes. This season has been a masterful coaching job on his part, and I am constantly reminded this season that he is just so damn good in every facet of his job. It's really incredible.
Football eye candy. :woohoo:

You kidding? Half the folks around here ~ and at least half of those clowns on radio ~ will be hollering that all our success is a mirage right up until we win it all.

Everybody knows that that scheme goes way back...and that is precisely my point:

It was US who MADE it happen, not the Ravens with some phantom self destruction.
No, I'm not kidding. Fans in general, and on message boards specifically over react to both wins as well as losses. People on the radio do the same because that stirs more debate, which creates higher ratings.

If everybody knows the scheme goes why back, then why the need for a thread title in all CAPS and a couple of !! exclamation points, about those "Tricky Patriots"?

My initial comment was in response to what you said has been happening all week. Now you are saying it is about what others are going to say in the future. Which is it? If you need a reminder of your original comment, it is below so you can compare it to your response, above.

Did somebody offering their opinion that the Pats defense still has question marks set you off? Frankly, I would agree to that idea; although the Pats defense finished strong Sunday, there are still legitimate areas of concern. It's a work in progress and I'm going to enjoy the ride even though I know there will be both ups and downs. Don't get too high after a win, don't get too low after a loss. If sports talk radio is going to get under your skin that badly then shut it off, or listen to music instead.

For those of you who's ears have been assaulted by Hate Radio, for 5 days, by the myth that the Patriots Defense got lucky, last week, and just happened to be on the field when the Ravens Offense suddenly and mysteriously ground to a complete halt:

Quirky Nickel Scheme Key to Patriots Defense’s Success!!

What a privilege to watch the Renaissance of this magnificent Dynasty unfold...right before our very eyes.

The Ravens flat out beat themselves. In fact, it seemed like the Ravens were begging the Pats to get back in the game.

So if a team just gives up, then I guess the Pats got lucky.

The Ravens flat out beat themselves. In fact, it seemed like the Ravens were begging the Pats to get back in the game.

The Ravens seem to beat themselves quite a bit against us. Maybe we are just better?

Ron, I started a clearly positive thread.

And it is based on the reality of a deeply talented team coming of age before all of our eyes.

And it's quite obvious that I am not the only one who sees this.

If our positive attitude and our amazement and pleasure at what we're seeing gets you in a twist, causing you to lash out and get nasty ~ as is quite evidently the case ~ then you've got issues that I can't help you with.

Here's something to bring out the expert pats=can't=draft-niks...

What if they're a bunch of no-names now?

:D

dont know how relevant it is to this discussion but

Tim Layden reflects on 'Blood, Sweat and Chalk' football book - Tim Layden - SI.com

6) What did you leave out of the book?
That's a dangerous question, but let's be honest: The book is 256 pages and 22 chapters. It could be triple that. Before the process even got rolling, I tried to make a list of offenses that should be in the book (West Coast, Zone Blitz, wishbone), and then started adding from there. But I figured out pretty early in the game that I wasn't going to get to all of them, at least not get to all of them in a way that allowed me to tell some stories, too. And that was the goal.
Enough whining. The next book will include the ''T'' formation, which was significant to the middle of the 20th century. When I was at Chiefs' training camp earlier this month, Scott Pioli reminded me of Bill Belichick's vital role in transforming the position of nickel back. That will be in the next book, too.

If our positive attitude and our amazement and pleasure at what we're seeing gets you in a twist, causing you to lash out and get nasty - as is quite evidently the case - then you've got issues that I can't help you with.
First off, I have as positive an attitude about the Pats as anybody. I've been accused of being a delusional homer many times, but this is the first, and closest that I've ever been accused of being the opposite.

If I offended you, my apologies; though if you are going to state opinions and my comments offended you, you're really going to need to figure out how to get thicker skin real soon. If you think my comments were 'lashing out', good luck in the real world.

Go back again and look at what I said. I simply questioned who all these people on the radio were that were claiming that the Pats were lucky last week. The only one that I am aware of that is saying that is not on the radio but is here on this forum - Hey Bro! What Up? - and although I completely disagree with him, (a) he's entitled to his opinion, and (b) he's completely in the minority.

I just don't know where this 'everybody on the radio doubts us/hates us' is coming from. I've been very happily watching the evolution of this team over the past couple years, and will be looking forward to more pieces being added next year. Absolutely enjoying the games and progress so far. Despite your prognosis, no issues here at all.

Last edited:
First off, I have as positive an attitude about the Pats as anybody. I've been accused of being a delusional homer many times, but this is the first, and closest that I've ever been accused of being the opposite.

If I offended you, my apologies; though if you are going to state opinions and my comments offended you, you're really going to need to figure out how to get thicker skin real soon. If you think my comments were 'lashing out', good luck in the real world.

Go back again and look at what I said. I simply questioned who all these people on the radio were that were claiming that the Pats were lucky last week. The only one that I am aware of that is saying that is not on the radio but is here on this forum - Hey Bro! What Up? - and although I completely disagree with him, (a) he's entitled to his opinion, and (b) he's completely in the minority.

I just don't know where this 'everybody on the radio doubts us/hates us' is coming from. I've been very happily watching the evolution of this team over the past couple years, and will be looking forward to more pieces being added next year. Absolutely enjoying the games and progress so far. Despite your prognosis, no issues here at all.

I'm sorry, man, but I simply have no interest in pursuing this with you. Peace.

"Originally Posted by HEY BRO! WHAT UP? View Post
We all know that Ninkovich is horrible and once Cunningham starts to make an impact, Ninkovich will be sitting on the sidelines until he is cut.

And I don't know what the hell Spikes was doing in coverage against Keller last weekend.".....HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

You posted that and you think people are going to take you seriously? I think not

Last edited:
We all know that Ninkovich is horrible and once Cunningham starts to make an impact, Ninkovich will be sitting on the sidelines until he is cut.

And I don't know what the hell Spikes was doing in coverage against Keller last weekend.".....HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

You posted that and you think people are going to take you seriously? I think not

To be fair, Spikes did do a terrible job in coverage against Keller. It's just not a good matchup for him, and not something that we should be asking him to do a lot of. The fact that he's done a good job while playing to his strengths in subsequent weeks doesn't change that.

You sound like you're sad that they won. LOL.

That 1-5-5 defenses sounds pretty interesting. If it works so well why don't the Pats pull that out of the hat more often? If an offense is prepared for the 1-5-5, what could they do to exploit it?

That 1-5-5 defenses sounds pretty interesting. If it works so well why don't the Pats pull that out of the hat more often? If an offense is prepared for the 1-5-5, what could they do to exploit it?
Run. The. Ball.

Some people refuse to give their dues. They can't bring themselves to do it. The Ravens had plenty of chances to win and the Patriots defense stifled them when it mattered and got the W. Miami.. now they killed themselves.

I'm sorry, is Ninkovich a good player?

Look, he had the game of his life in Miami, but he is terrible at defending the run.

You're a fool if you think Ninkovich is the long term answer at OLB.

It's funny how the Pats are 4-1 and this board is already declaring them the Pats of old. :rolleyes:

I said the same thing about how Pierre Woods was never going to be an effective OLB for the Pats or in the NFL for that matter and this board ripped me.

I was right.

Yet, it doesn't surprise me when people like yourself still have the nerve to pull the "people don't take you seriously" card.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Rob Ninkovich is not the long term answer at OLB. He's a stop gap for Cunningham or who ever else steps up.

And I don't even know what your point is with Spikes because he's terrible in coverage.

Let me put it to you this way, you know all those games last year that the Pats should've won but shot themselves in the foot.

The Ravens did that last weekend.

It's a great win for the Pats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back