PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh so classy Mr. Dungy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he doesn't trust his kicker beyond 25 yards?

I don't think it was that so much as Dungy hoping he could pull SD offsides so he could get a fresh set of downs, which would have allowed him to basically milk the clock dry and then go for the game-winner.

Good thinking, lousy execution. :D

I don't think it was that so much as Dungy hoping he could pull SD offsides so he could get a fresh set of downs, which would have allowed him to basically milk the clock dry and then go for the game-winner.

You bet, but the bitter complaining about the penalty afterwards screams "those 5 yards mattered! 29 yards is a lot to ask of my kicker!" :D

Whining about the refs after the Dolts/Bolts game. Stay classy, Tony.

(Oh yeah - why the hell are LT, who did next to nothing in this game, and Merriman, who did nothing whatsoever in this game against a 3rd string tackle, getting interviewed after the game, instead of the guys who, you know, actually played well? Namely Sproles and Cromartie. What a joke the media is.)

A very good point. While coaching is a big part of it, in SD everything revolves around LT, Merriman, Gates and Rivers. Yet, the team doesn't have those guys as the locker room force to keep the other players in check. There's no veteran leadership.

You think that this is good thinking?

I know, I have 20/20 hindsight view here, but look at the big picture. Once they get ahead of that awful bolt team, that is the end.

There is no need to get cute. Just end it.

Very poor thinking as far as I'm concerned.

ohh, im sure goodell already got the phone call...

Some of you guys like to just make things up. I suppose the reasoning is that you reinforce whatever world-NFL-view you have, a homer position in 100% of the cases?

That's why Rush Limbaugh calls torture a misdemeanor and a picnic.

You bet, but the bitter complaining about the penalty afterwards screams "those 5 yards mattered! 29 yards is a lot to ask of my kicker!" :D

The ridiculous part about it was that he also said during the post-game that he made a mistake by thereafter "wasting" a time out.

Well, what was it? What exactlly was he planning to do if the call hadn't been made? He wasn't going to run a first down play. If he wanted to keep the time out, the team would have had to take a delay penalty, they would have lost the same 5 yards, and it still would have been a 29 yard kick.

You mean the kicker who was 115/119 from 20-29 yds. before the kick??????

Idiotic thinking. Here's why:

1) Nobody on the planet actually thought there was any chance the Colts would snap the ball. Chipshot FG to take the lead, wet ball, sloppy field. The defense HAD to be told to stay still regardless of what the offense does. There was 0% chance of success on that play.

2) Dungy was captured on the network broadcast saying "Take a timeout with one second left". He is really easy to lip-read and made no attempt to disguise what he was saying. Not saying the Chargers needed any help since it was obvious that the Colts were going to do that anyway.

3) The play they attempted is against the rules. Clearly and without question. The TE came out of a set position abruptly, in a way that looked exactly the same as how he would retreat at the snap. You can't argue this point because that is how the play was SUPPOSED to work. Only problem is that the rulebook EXPLICITLY calls out that play as a violation. Dungy's explanation that "We've done it before and it has never be penalized" is interesting. Wouldn't it be great if every rules violation could be explained away like that?

Last edited:
maybe God doesn't love Tony as much as Tony thought he did.

maybe God doesn't love Tony as much as Tony thought he did.

LOL :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

But, isn't this impossible? I mean, Tony loves himself a lot!!! ;)

Wait, we should be calm and silent about all of this.

Idiotic thinking. Here's why:

3) The play they attempted is against the rules. Clearly and without question. The TE came out of a set position abruptly, in a way that looked exactly the same as how he would retreat at the snap. You can't argue this point because that is how the play was SUPPOSED to work. Only problem is that the rulebook EXPLICITLY calls out that play as a violation. Dungy's explanation that "We've done it before and it has never be penalized" is interesting. Wouldn't it be great if every rules violation could be explained away like that?

This is the heart of the matter right here. They get away with so much bull**** like Manning bobbing his head all the time, that when they actually get called for it, they are shocked into disbelief.

The call was the correct one because I believe that once a lineman goes into a 3-point stance, he cannot move until the snap of the ball (and for the sake of this discussion, the TE is considered a lineman before the snap when he is on the line and in his 3-point stance). However, if you have a TE next to a TE who is 1 yard off the LOS, then they guy can get down into a 3-point stance and get back up to shift or go in motion or whatever.

Indy shifted 3 men all on the right side of the line in an obvious attempt to confuse the defense. Even if it was legal, it still didn't work because the defense didn't move.

Taking a 5 yard penalty in this instance is not a bad coaching decision because you have to assume Vinatieri is going to make the kick. And I guarantee you this: If Indy got the first down, they would have taken a couple of knees to drain the clock before kicking a FG. They would not have attempted to score a TD.

However, if you have a TE next to a TE who is 1 yard off the LOS, then they guy can get down into a 3-point stance and get back up to shift or go in motion or whatever.

Nope, the rules prohibit abrupt motion by ANY player on offense with the intent of drawing the defense offsides by simulating motion that would be expected at the snap of the ball.

"No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started."

Interior lineman are held to a higher standard (intent not required):

"No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating a three-point stance."

Quarterbacks have a fairly wishy-washy requirement (needs to be obvious), which is why they are typically used to draw a team offside:

"Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside."

Nope, the rules prohibit abrupt motion by ANY player on offense with the intent of drawing the defense offsides by simulating motion that would be expected at the snap of the ball.

"No player of offensive team may charge or move abruptly, after assuming set position, in such manner as to lead defense to believe snap has started."

Interior lineman are held to a higher standard (intent not required):

"No interior lineman may move abruptly after taking or simulating a three-point stance."

Quarterbacks have a fairly wishy-washy requirement (needs to be obvious), which is why they are typically used to draw a team offside:

"Quarterbacks can be called for a false start penalty (five yards) if their actions are judged to be an obvious attempt to draw an opponent offside."

Thanks for the research, M.

How on EARTH any HC can complain about a call that "forced" them to "have" to kick a totally make-able GW FG just because his kicker blew it - beyond shameless. It's a 29-yarder. I CAN MAKE A 29-YARDER!

How can this call compare to three fake PI calls giving Colts 13 points difference! They still had the chance to win, they blow it.

How can this call compare to three fake PI calls giving Colts 13 points difference! They still had the chance to win, they blow it.

Dungy burned a timeout trying to argue with the refs on this non-reviewable play. Manning could be seen mouthing the words, "we shouldn't have used a timeout". Dungy was outcoached, he even apologized to his team for calling a TO. The only one left to defend him is Michael "the shill" Holley on WEEI.

That's cuz Tony has taken a lot of shots as a black man in a position of authority..and has risen above it.....
That might be true..any links to any of those hits??? Just curious as to the writers and what was said...I do not remember any widespread criticism but would like to read and learn about them. Just curious about that...

Actually, they got screwed nearly 70 yards by the inadvertent whistle on the "leg bounce" interception. Still, the specials teams and red zone offense of the Colts are an Achilles Heel for them.

Actually, since the whistle blew, many players stopped playing on that play. One can not assume it'd have been 70 yards if the whistle didn't blow.

Any complaint by the Pats would immediately find its way to the

trash can. In a couple of days, Mr. Goodell will apologize to Coach

Dungy and the Colts for the poor officiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes