PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh shut the hell up Steve Buckley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMC00

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://bostonherald.com/sports/colu...014/09/buckley_not_well_played_tom_bradybrady

"It’s not Brady’s actions, but his inactions, that are at issue here. For when Brady told WEEI listeners, “There’s nothing I can do to make a difference,” he’s forgetting, or choosing to forget, the enormous bully pulpit that’s available to professional athletes.

There’s nothing Tom Brady can do to make a difference? He does it all the time, as evidenced by his involvement in the Best Buddies program and other charitable endeavors.

At a time when the people who should be acting are stepped back behind the curtain — and, really, has anyone seen NFL commissioner Roger Goodell lately? — a few well-chosen words by the league’s top players can help bring about change.

They talk, we listen.

That’s the power athletes have, if they choose to exercise it."
------------------

Yep Brady saying something is going to put an end to domestic violence.

Yeah, I added a comment to the section at the end--although I doubt it's still up now.

What a ridiculous article. Totally pointless. Just awful.

Last edited:
Let's compare the charity and time invested in charitable causes between Steve Buckley and Tom Brady.

Writing hit pieces about someone else not doing enough when they do a million times more than the person writing the hit piece is like standard operating procedure now. Media people are pretty low on the scum bag scale today. So self righteous yet so utterly worthless.

I rank them somewhere between fungus and ambulance chasers.

He's almost as bad as 98.5's squeaky macaroni. They are both diehard baseball pinkies who despise the fact that football and the nfl is 10 times more popular than the sport they have cherished since childhood and admitatly have deep knowledge of.

The problem is Buckles and Macaroni, even here in boston baseball really is truly past America's time. ;-)

Last edited:
If he says something he's a self-righteous *******.

If he doesn't say something he's tacitly condoning genocide on women and children.

Buckley is a great baseball writer and historian... but like so many of these guys they are now covering sports they are not comfortable with and it shows... Merloni is an excellent comparison, when both talk about football I change the channel.

If he says something he's a self-righteous *******.

If he doesn't say something he's tacitly condoning genocide on women and children.

Well, yeah, I don't know right from wrong unless an athlete or Kardashian is telling me. Well, time to go make it rain down at my local strip joint or maybe put a gun in my in my sweatpants waistband while I go hangout at a really cool club or drive 185 mph down the parkway with my favorite, unregistered handgun under my seat next to my "secret" stash of medicinal herbs.

Well, yeah, I don't know right from wrong unless an athlete or Kardashian is telling me. Well, time to go make it rain down at my local strip joint or maybe put a gun in my in my sweatpants waistband while I go hangout at a really cool club or drive 185 mph down the parkway with my favorite, unregistered handgun under my seat next to my "secret" stash of medicinal herbs.

Unregistered handguns are very 2013. It's all about grenades now.

While what Brady said isn't 100% true because his words could have an impact, he's not going to end domestic violence with a few words. He has the union to handle this matter right now he just wants to focus on football. He doesn't need the media asking 10,000 questions to his team about it. Brady does plenty of work like that during the off season.

This is a perfect example of a "look at me! look at me!" piece by a Boston sports media ne'er do well....

I can't stand others trying to make outside distractions our problems. Peyton loves the limelight, go ask him or Papa John.

The link did not work, but I think I understand the gist of the article.

I think we all agree that altruism is critical for society(ies) (props to Peter Singer), but let's not forget why the NFL, like other for-profit companies, urges its players/employees to engage in such activities. The bouy to public relations is wonderful, albeit the ROI immeasurable. When companies and individuals trumpet their altruism, it takes something away from the act that otherwise represents selflessness. I donate to causes (probably not enough), but it remains off LinkedIn, FB, and everyday conversations.

As a related but irrelevant tangent, NFL teams often self-describe their entities as "organizations" as opposed to "companies"--a more apt label. The media and players perpetuate the word-choice, except when contract negotiations go awry and suddenly "it's a business." The "organization" descriptor carries a neutral connotation, which supports the broader public relations strategy garnered by charity. Edward Bernays would be proud; after all, football ain't for charity. It's in the entertainment sector.

And then we hear about how the Commissioner receives compensation greater than the CEO of Exxon, who manages a company whose average quarterly net income matches the total annual revenue of all NFL companies combined, and deja vu "it's a business."

I can't stand others trying to make outside distractions our problems. Peyton loves the limelight, go ask him or Papa John.

No Peyton is busy talking about how legalizing weed in Colorado has seen his profits in Papa John's increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes