Welcome to PatsFans.com

Oh Boy, Watch The Sh!t Fly Over This One

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +719 / 2 / -9

Please don't attack me, I am just reporting, you can decide, I thought some of you might have have missed this because it comes from Drudge, "Oh Jesus" please remember in your rage that I did not write this, many of the people that this Scientist spoke to don't even know who Harry Boy is.
    http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article3067222.ece

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I won't attack you, Harry Boy..!! But, having said that, I am not going to touch that article with a 10 foot pole.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 6 / -2

If you're not even willing to touch it, I'm not even going to click the link. I'm F'ing curious though! It must be something racist. We all know Harry Boy is a white motherfu#$&*, and you're a.....:D Nevermind!

4. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

HAHA... Harry you racist mother ****#r you've done it again how dare you post that dirty nasty link of scientific thought becauase its a conservative posting it therefore its not REAL science because all conservatives debunk science... (Deep breath).

5. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Is this about the scientist who spoke out against the equalitarian
    ideal? That indeed, there ARE differences between races.
    Yeah, you guys are wise not to touch that one.

6. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

ANOTHER DISTIGUSIHED NOBEL PRIZE WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-this is absolute poppy****! anyone with any brains knows that the only reason that this baseless claim can be made is that many balcks are subjigated to inferior schools, which leds them to inferior congnitive and deductive reasoning. Thus making thier scores on any standardized test, lower than those who have had the advantage of superior mental training.

-I have gone through numerous Police training schools, and watched African Americans, who I know to be bright and articulate, struggle with basic studying and test taking skills, merely because of the vastly inferior (mainly NYC) education that they were subject to.

-I challenge this guy to enter into a battle of wits with any Nigerian conman, he will soon find he will lose and that his bank account will be emptied.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +293 / 12 / -10

Watson is obviously one of these idiot savants. He may be brilliant in some areas, but he's fool in others. In addition to his ideas on intelligence, the article says,

"In 1997, he told a British newspaper that a woman should have the right to abort her unborn child if tests could determine it would be homosexual. He later insisted he was talking about a 'hypothetical' choice which could never be applied. He has also suggested a link between skin colour and sex drive, positing the theory that black people have higher libidos, and argued in favour of genetic screening and engineering on the basis that 'stupidity' could one day be cured. He has claimed that beauty could be genetically manufactured, saying: 'People say it would be terrible if we made all girls pretty. I think it would great.'"

There have been numerous studies going back to at least the 1950s showing that intelligence is largely a measure of how we adapt to our environment. There is no objective measure of intelligence. In our country, many of us have the luxury of reading, access to computers, plenty of free time, and so on, so we can pursue learning for learnings sake. In other countries and poor parts of ours, people have more immediate needs and fewer tools available to them, so their learning is more geared towards survival. The notion that there are intelligence genes is ridiculous.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

The mysetery to me is why races, sexes, whatevers, have to be of equal intelligence.

Guess what ? We're different. Take one look at a black guy vs. a white guy - or a white man vs. a white woman. Or whatever. Clearly we're different.

Now, with that established - why do our brains HAVE TO be the same ? They don't. Whites may be smarter than blacks. Blacks may be smarter than white. Asians may be dummer than them both. Or smarter. I have no idea - but I do know one thing - our bodies are clearly different and there's no reason that the brain is alone in being identical across all people.

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Wow. Just when you think Patters has his head as deep in the sand as it will go, he digs a little deeper. Dude. What ? You think that it's ridiculous that intelligence is genetic ?

:singing:

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +293 / 12 / -10

Different people don't necessarily have the same kind of intelligence. I don't think it's possible to objective measure something like intelligence. So, perhaps we're saying the same things in different ways.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +719 / 2 / -9

We're different and that is a fact, but we aren't supposed to acknowledge that fact, in fact, we aren't even supposed to mention it. :confused: :confused:

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

No we aren't saying the same thing. You are being a typical non sensical politically correct hack. You aren't going to rope me into book smarts vs. street smarts and have it all balance out to "everyone's equal". It's just ridiculous that our brains have to be identical when are faces, skin color, muscle mass, penis size for God's sake, are not the same. I haven't been around, or stupied, enough blacks, asians, whatevers, to form an opinion on what group is smarter than another but given how different our bodies are it's illogical to think our brains are the same.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +293 / 12 / -10

Gee, talk about intelligence, I suppose either I didn't express myself well or you failed to comprehend my point, and I'm sorry I upset you so much so that you had to resort to name calling. I in no way said our brains are the same. It's logical they're not. All I said was that there are different kinds of intelligence. One person's intelligence might be another person's stupidity. Different people don't necessarily have the same kind of intelligence.

While you may rely on your vast knowledge of bioneurology to assume those differences reside in the brain, I tend to subscribe to the more commonly held view that there are a number of factors, including maturation and the environment or nature and nurture. I happen to be well read on the subject, and the general thinking is we are born with certain instinctive cognitive powers (such as sucking, grasping, exploring, and reaching), but very early on these cognitive powers are affected by our environment -- by our parents or caregivers, by our culture, etc.

The physical characteristics of our brains in general are not as important as what happens after we're born. In fact, your way of thinking has been largely rejected for many years, although that doesn't mean that your way of thinking isn't still useful in behavioral science. Science has demonstrated that our brain continues to develop even after we're born, and this development is affected by our environment.

14. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

I wonder what Condoleeza Rice and Clarence Thomas think about this.....

Ok, so assuming that it's true, which it's obviously not, how does this follow through into social policy? should we have different school for those special black kids? should they be able to vote? I think we've been there.....

And shopping around for the most ludicrous and incendiary article doesn't count as just being the "messenger" it makes you a wingnut.

15. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Nature vs. Nurture might be beyond the scope of this thread. Not for any lack of effort, however.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Well duh. Just like our muscles. If a black kid eats twinkies all day and never gets off the couch while I work out all the time I'll probably be faster than him. But that doesn't mean my speed has the same upside as his.

Same with the brain. Different races, almost certainly, have different intelligence upsides. But how they are used has a big factor too. Clearly, IMO, the lack of importance placed on education is the leading factor in why whites are more educated than blacks (and why asians are more educated than either whites or blacks) but to say that the brain of each race, on average, has the same potential if used the same is just silly, unrealistic and elementary school thinking IMO.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Any discussion like this is talking about averages. There are obviously some black guys I can outrun - but on average they'll smoke me.

18. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

So then that goes to my second point: What's the point of this? What is the logical follow through into social policy even if it's true?

I can't believe a credible scientist would actually say something like this either way. We've just barely gotten through mapping the genome and are light years aways from being able to tie genetics to specific character traits, let alone the multifaceted aspects of human "intelligence," which we cannt yet accurately measure. Beyond his possible racist predispostion, the idea that he has a firm grasp on what is or what is not an intelligent human being and can tie that to genes is outlandish, which is why he's getting the backlash he is. I've heard geneticists talk about how our genes themselves can change depending on our environment and the nature v. nurture debate is far from resolved.

19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

It's not as simplistic as "books smarts v. street smarts" the human brain is way more complicated than that. And those physical traits you mentioned, many of which are myths, may have come as a result of specialized breeding during slavery. Kenyans generally have an advantage of marathon runners, which scientists theorize is a result of Zulus running hundreds of miles in short periods of time to catch their enemies off guard. But we don't yet know whether this has affected brain development or whether one's environment could overcome it. And your insinuation that the "smart" African-Americans are exceptions not the norm is absolutely silly. African Americans who are not impoverished have the same statistical GPA and IQ as do whites per capita.

20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

That wasn't my intent, I was just using your example. I do have little doubt that the average white, black and asian have different degrees of intelligence. In what order are they ? I don't know.