PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
What potential trades do you see BB making that would benefit the team?

For example would you trade a 2nd round pick for Anquan Boldin? Or is that asking too much? How else do you address the WR situation?

Or is there an OLB/DE out there that can be had? Before the season started, I would have really liked for the Pats to have traded for Suggs, but that boat sailed past once the Ravens extended him to a 6 year 62.5M dollar deal.

Last edited:
I'd like to make some trades for players we don't cut shortly after.

I'd do a 2nd for Boldin. He's the WR I want this team to add the most. His physical play, toughness, and willingness to go over the middle make him the perfect Pats WR IMO. I think Brady would love the guy and he'd become a fan favorite like Welker has for the way he plays the game.

I'd like to see us trade away Adalius rather than cut him. I think he's still got some value and someone would be willing to give up anywhere between a 3 and 5 for him.

Another WR that could potentially be on the block is Dwayne Bowe. I'd assume the Chiefs would probably want a first rounder for him, but maybe we could get him for a 2nd since we gave Pioli Cassel for a 2nd. :p

And of course, you've always gotta check in with Crazy Al to see if he wants to make any other absurd deals. How about we give you a 4th rounder for another superstar like we did in the Moss deal? Nnamdi for a 4th? That's a good deal for you. Hahaha.

I'd rather save the 2nd round pick and go after josh reed and malcom floyd

if the season is going to be uncapped,with a 1 and three 2's, why not trade up for two 1's at least?

i don't think he will make any trades that will help the team maybe he gets a 3rd round pick for maroney on draft day but i don't think that would help the team

but there are so many FA that if the pats are willing to pay a lil money and if they have a good draft they can be a top team again

Merriman or an OJ Atogwe (if franchised) would be brilliant IMO

I'd like to make some trades for players we don't cut shortly after.

interesting strategy

It seems to work on paper but I'm not sure it would be 100% effective in practice

Chad Ochocinco. Him and Belichick seem to have like a bond for some reason

Chad Ochocinco. Him and Belichick seem to have like a bond for some reason

I would seriously die if it happened

I'm going to have wet dreams about it

1st and 2nd for top ten pick for Rolando McClain.

I dunna know. I still have the belief that this team needs a power RB than can make plays on his own and help extend Brady's career.

A maquee WR would be nice, but this team needs toughness on the offensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
I am not in the BB-bashing camp. I do wonder about the direction though...

Will they go with many picks (as in 09 - which surprised many) or will they do the FA thing - like when they got AD ?

I dunno. There are so many conflicting opinions. Ex : when talking about "untouchables" earlier this season, Mayo's name was brought up by the coach. Then, in that recent interview with a Ravens' player, there was supposed chuckling or lip biting when Mayo's name was mentionned. I guess Seau was the best defender on NE.

I know the whole "Lack of leadership" thing has been tossed around, but... those vets wouldn't have been the difference unless they were their 03 or 04 versions.

Trades ? I expect minor trades. I think BB will choose to go draft first, with mid-round trades for a few verts hoping to "hit" on another Moss and avoid another Gabriel.

We will replace Neal and we will definitely bring in two or three receivers. But as much as a 3rd receiver mght have helped during the season, this is NOT a running team. Sure, just dial up another Dillon. But we also won Super Bowls with Smith who was a JAG who gets better with each year. The problem with our team was not with our talent on offense, although a couple of better offensive coaches would have helped.
===============================================
Yes the offense looked terrible against BALT, but our run defense looked worse.

I dunna know. I still have the belief that this team needs a power RB than can make plays on his own and help extend Brady's career.

A maquee WR would be nice, but this team needs toughness on the offensive side of the ball.

This year I'd like to see the Pats sign the players they already have on their roster worth keeping(Wilfork, Maknins, Bodden, Banta-Cain, and Gostkowski), make no trades and to use all the picks they have on actual draft picks where they fall.

Last edited:
I don't want us trading anywhere near Boldin. Injury-prone and on my opinion the worst of the 3 Receivers that Arizona have. Since that horrific hit against the Jets last year, he hasn't been what he was. Nowhere near as good as how he started 2008 even.

I don't want us anywhere near Brandon Marshall either.

I'll take Malcolm Floyd for a 2nd. Or, I draft a Receiver early on and pick up a free agent WR. I still say get Donte in. He knows the system. So a WR can learn up behind Donte and take over mid-season and increase the role of the draftee. Would also decrease the Rookie Wall and not put too much pressure on them.

This year I'd like to see the Pats make no trades and to use all the picks they have on actual draft picks where they fall.

This is what I would prefer. I don't think that there is any quick

fix to improve this team. Players like Boldin will come with large

contract demands. I don't know if the Patriots are willing to come

up with enough money to re-sign their own good free agents.

Last edited:

I know the whole "Lack of leadership" thing has been tossed around, but... those vets wouldn't have been the difference unless they were their 03 or 04 versions.

I agree.

Boldin is more like WW, his avgyds/catch is identical. And why use a 2nd rnd pick on a WW clone as far as his stats. Malcolm Floyd is a UFA who wont cost a 2nd rnd pick and who can stretch the field and take coverage off Moss. This helps Moss, Floyd and WW/Edelman since opponents will have to pick their poison as to double-teams, bracketing, etc.

This is what I would prefer. I don't think that there is any quick

fix to improve this team. Players like Boldin will come with large

contract demands. I don't know if the Patriots are will to come

up with enough money to re-sign their own good free agents.

If you didn't have to give up the farm for Boldin then I'd be okay with that, much like they did when Moss came here. As far as as having the $$$ to sign our own guys I use to buy that, but with the uncertainty in the CBA ending and all the teams that are able to give up $$$ and still "stay under the cap" I don't get it. I definitely will be the first to admit how little I know about the status of signing players going into 2010, but the clock is ticking and if healthy Brady's got about 5-6 good years left. Let that be their guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down