PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offseason about 1/2 Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

jct

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
When you think about it we still have money for 4-6 veteran minimum/prove it type contracts. Guys I think are likely for consideration:
Troy Brown(Valuable backup)
Jr Seau(Valuable backup)
Ed Hartwell(rotation or backup)
K Mitchell(rotation or backup)
C Dillion(rotation or backup)
D Patten(backup)
D Bledsoe(last case veteran backup)
(All above as shadow roster cheap in season replacements)
IMO if we sign/resign any of these guys at or close to the veteran minimum with performance bonuses there is no downside.
Everyone emotionally wants Troy back, in fact him transitioning to a coach in '08 would be an ideal from a fans perspective.
Seau gave us our great run defense last year.
Hartwell has tremendous upside on a prove it type deal.
Mitchell may be more expensive but within the budget.
C Dillion wants to play for a playoff team, he is on the verge of HOF numbers, Last year he had almost 1100 yds(regular and playoff) he may reconsider.
I see all upside in signing Patten to the veteran minimum. Knows system. Cheap. Cut if he doesn't beat camp competition.
Bledsoe probably has too much ego to be a backup for 1M/yr but as a fan I think that is a good value for us.
These are just some of the obvious possible pickups but we can expect 4-6 more cheap (value) veterans prior to camp.
It wouldn't surprise me to see more trades as in last years 3 trades to other teams for picks.
But Most of all right now we have 10 projected picks in the draft!!

I have 2 strategies:
1) pick the 2 best DBs at 24 and 28 or
2) send those picks to the #16 team for P Willis (6year contract!!) and that teams #1 next year.

Somehow I do expect us to trade to acquire an additional 3 picks for '08, as we probably won't have comp picks next year.

Last edited:
When you think about it we still have money for 4-6 veteran minimum/prove it type contracts. Guys I think are likely for consideration:
Troy Brown
Jr Seau
Ed Hartwell
K Mitchell
C Dillion
D Patten
D Bledsoe
IMO if we sign/resign any of these guys at or close to the veteran minimum with performance bonuses there is no downside.
Everyone emotionally wants Troy back, in fact him transitioning to a coach in '08 would be an ideal from a fans perspective.
Seau gave us our great run defense last year.
Hartwell has tremendous upside on a prove it type deal.
Mitchell may be more expensive but within the budget.
C Dillion wants to play for a playoff team, he is on the verge of HOF numbers, Last year he had almost 1100 yds(regular and playoff) he may reconsider.
I see all upside in signing Patten to the veteran minimum. Knows system. Cheap. Cut if he does beat camp competition.
Bledsoe probably has too much ego to be a backup for 1M/yr but as a fan I think that is a good value for us.
These are just some of the obvious possible pickups but we can expect 4-6 more cheap (value) veterans prior to camp.
It wouldn't surprise me to see more trades as in last years 3 trades to other teams for picks.
But Most of all right now we have 10 projected picks in the draft!!

I have 2 strategies:
1) pick the 2 best DBs at 24 and 28 or
2) send those picks to the #16 team for P Willis and that teams #1 next year.

Somehow I do expect us to trade to acquire an additional 3 picks for '08, as we probably won't have comp picks next year.
they might add a veteran linebacker, hartwell would be a nice fit, the the resr of the roster will be filled with draft choices, and just isnt any room on the roster, if they added more veteran free agent they would end up cutting all their draft choices

Troy Brown(Valuable backup)
Jr Seau(Valuable backup)

If these guys are willing to sign veteran minimum deals with the maximum allowable bonus, then I think they are no brainers.

Seau might not like a situation where he isn't guranteed a starting position, but I'm sure he'd love to add a ring to his HOF resume, and the Patriots are the best bet to do so. (Plus, BB knows how to treat distinguished veterans right (Flutie, Testaverde)).

Last edited:
I think Brown, Hartwell and Seau are the only ones on that list of interest. LB depth and of course, bringing back Troy are the top priorities.

Troy of course, allows one to have only 2 QBs on the roster, and provides special teams and DB depth as well as WR insurance.

On the matter of the offseason being half over, don't forget there's always the trading season that starts up. This could provide some CB and S depth as well as possibilities at LB.

Trades can take place in conjunction with the draft or well after. With 10 draft picks the Patriots can be players trading draft picks (in this year's draft or next, as I expect them to parlay this year's draft bonanza into improved selections in 2008).

And of course anyone and everyone could be available via trade, so there's no real reason to limit one's choices to the list above.

Randy Moss has a better chance of being a Pat than Drew Bledsoe

Drew Bledsoe got his free ring, he doesn't need another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes