PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

officiating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill B.

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Pats played terrible. We know that. But the officials also had a bad game. I had never seen any one called for lining up crooked on the offensive line during a punt before and I've been watching football almost 40 years. And roughing the passer? Harrington was walking backwards and tripped over a pats D-lineman who was sprawled on the ground ( after yet another uncalled block in the back by Miami). What did the Pats lineman do? Stick his neck out too far. One of the worst calls I've seen this year. I know bad calls usually even out during the course of the game, but I don't remember any going against Miami.

Another point. If the refs are going to call interference, they should do so right away. I hate when the flag does not get thrown unless a receiver comes up begging for it.

The call against Wilfork was probably the worst call I have ever seen. Ever. And that's saying something because we've all seen a lot of really bad ones.

One of the worst calls I've seen this year. I know bad calls usually even out during the course of the game, but I don't remember any going against Miami.
Didn't the Patriots get another 3rd down because the officials forgot to advance the number held by the chain crew?

Didn't the Patriots get another 3rd down because the officials forgot to advance the number held by the chain crew?
The announcers thought an illegal forward pass was a loss of down but I'm not sure they were right - anyone know for sure ?

The announcers thought an illegal forward pass was a loss of down but I'm not sure they were right - anyone know for sure ?
Ahh, I wasn't sure what the situation was since I was doing other things while watching the game. An illegal forward pass is a loss of down only if the pass is made from in front of the LOS, or it's already fourth down.

Last edited:
The Wilfork roughing call will be part of every compilation used to argue that the refs suck and their judgement calls need to be reviewable. It is impossible for anyone to retain any credibility while arguing that the refs do a good job and that their judgement should not be questionable while watching that.

I was going to write that there has got to be a way to overrule that call but that's looking at this the wrong way. That call should never happen in the first place, and any ref making that call should be suspended. Truly egregious calls like that should carry with them penalties. Players that make bonehead mistakes get benched; it's time for refs to be treated the same.

not like the refs made much of a difference in the game. the pats still lose if all the calls instead go their way.

this year better officially put an end to all notions of "the patriots get all of the calls." it seems as if every single backbreaking call goes against them. it's at the point that every time a penalty is called on a 3rd down i already know it is against the Pats.

A great team can win in spite of the refs. A good team requires the refs not screwing them over. With the lack of any truly great teams and the increasingly bad officiating games are becoming more of a referee-induced toss-up. this is a bad trend that I have no reason to believe will be reversed.

...If the refs are going to call interference, they should do so right away. I hate when the flag does not get thrown unless a receiver comes up begging for it.

I'm sure that the receiver jumping up and down and demanding the call isn't what makes the flag come out; but they need to find a way to stop it from looking like that every time.

Ahh, I wasn't sure what the situation was since I was doing other things while watching the game. An illegal forward pass is a loss-of-down penalty, but I thought it happened on first down. In that case a loss-of-down would advance it to second down, whereas on most penalties they would replay first down (which is what I thought happened).
Honestly I'm not sure. At one point the announcers were "clearing up the confusion" they had caused but I was so P.O.ed at at the game I didn't listen to what they said, so I was left with no idea . . . I'm guessing, though that the officials were right and the announcers were wrong; but I really have no clue.

Brady's pass was from behind the line of scrimmage (just verified on the tape) so it was not loss of down. The broadcasters were confused on the call.

A great team can win in spite of the refs.
I'm to the point that I don't give a crap if it helps us, hurts us or is irrelevant. I'm just tired of the BS calls throughout the league.

Say what you will about the officials; but how often do the guys in the booth not know the rules when the refs do? I know the zebra who announced that penalty sort of mentioned a loss of downs (his voice trailed off as he said it) but they did apply the correct penalty because they didn't take the down away.

It seems to me that the NFL is at least much better at getting officials who know the rules than the billion-dollar networks are at getting talking heads who do. Its hard to fairly criticize judgment, because you can't see exactly what the 'judger' sees; but in terms of rules knowledge the refs are sure better than what the networks give us.

Last edited:
Say what you will about the officials; but how often do the guys in the booth not know the rules when the refs do? I know the zebra who announced that penalty sort of mentioned a loss of downs (his voice trailed off as he said it) but they did apply the correct penalty because they didn't take the down away.

It seems to me that the NFL is at least much better at getting officials who know the rules than the billion-dollar networks are at getting talking heads who do. Its hard to fairly criticize judgment, because you can't see exactly what the 'judger' sees; but in terms of rules knowledge the refs are sure better than what the networks give us.

I don't think the problem is with the people officiating the game, it's that there is too much going on on the field for seven people to do a perfect job. They need to make better use of video review.

I have supreme confidence in the refs knowing the rules. Except for an occasional nutty ruling, like that Vincent Jackson spin of the ball to the ground before the whistle being ruled as a forward pass, they always get the rule right. They just never seem to see the right thing.

Brady's pass was from behind the line of scrimmage (just verified on the tape) so it was not loss of down. The broadcasters were confused on the call.

Yep...if the second pass is behind the LOS it's just a 5 yard penalty repeat the down..but if brady was in front of the LOS and passed then it would have been 5 yards and loss of down... That whole "you can't fumble forward" stuff...

Announcers were wrong and the ref in the booth was wrong.

the downward spiral of refereeing coincides with the spate of Polian led rules changes ushered in to help Pay-Me-Tons-For-Squat finally get to the Super Bowl.What we are seeing is what you get when a crazed lunatic kidnaps the rules committee and starts making his own rules.

TBG you have a good point,i'm sure at some officials seminar this call will be brought up as an example of"how to make idiotic calls" .The video will be played several times,I just hope some of the crew from the PATS-DOLPHINS game on sunday (if they still have work as NFL officials)get to cringe while the subjects of ridicule from their peers.It was that bad.....thts why I posted a question if anyone has seen this play on any sports highlight shows as an example of a call made by a moron posing as an NFL official.....sorry ,Its becoming a rant....I feel a little better now....

TBG you have a good point,i'm sure at some officials seminar this call will be brought up as an example of"how to make idiotic calls" .The video will be played several times,I just hope some of the crew from the PATS-DOLPHINS game on sunday (if they still have work as NFL officials)get to cringe while the subjects of ridicule from their peers.It was that bad.....thats why I posted a question if anyone has seen this play on any sports highlight shows as an example of a call made by a moron posing as an NFL official.....sorry ,Its becoming a rant....I feel a little better now....

The sports show are not allowed to show blatent incompetent call made by officials. The NFL will not be imbarrased, you can show anything you want, except poor officiating.

And roughing the passer? Harrington was walking backwards and tripped over a pats D-lineman who was sprawled on the ground ( after yet another uncalled block in the back by Miami). What did the Pats lineman do? Stick his neck out too far. One of the worst calls I've seen this year.

Even the announcers were making fun of Harrington for selling that like a soccer player. You would've thought he shattered his achilles tendon the way he was rolling around. I wonder how much stuff like this (and wideouts waving in their faces, etc) really affects the refs.

Officiating has been poor across the board. There were two obvious missed calls in the Saints/Cowboys game - a flagrant face mask that didn't get called, and a horse collar which took place in front of the side judge (So much for the emphasis on that rule).

On MNF right before the half, the Rams had a receiver diving catch a sideline pass, fall down, and slide out of bounds. He was untouched. The refs blew the whistle and stopped the clock only to restart it a few seconds later when the they inexplicably decided the receiver had stayed in bounds. Awful, awful call by the officials, especially considering this took place with under 1 minute to play in the half. These guys need to get this stuff right. The league needs to get their act together when it comes to officiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots