PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Officiating wave of the future? Woman to officiate NFL game for first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no misogynist, but I don't like the idea of women reffing NFL games. For one thing, who's ever known a female to make it through a half of football without at least one bathroom break?

I'm no misogynist, but I don't like the idea of women reffing NFL games. For one thing, who's ever known a female to make it through a half of football without at least one bathroom break?
Plus it would lengthen the games when all 6 of the male refs had to try and explain to the female ref what "1st down, 2nd down, etc" means. :D

(ducking) :bricks: :bricks:

there is NO WAY a woman belongs on an NFL field during play.
You'd be wrong if she can do the job.

Of course, you're welcome to form a society where women can't vote or fly commercial aircraft. We'll come see you once in a while.

can you join a women's basketball team? can you go into a woman's bathroom to relieve yourself?.,..you are another one of these absolutists.

You introduce a feminine aspect to refereeing an NFL game you CHANGE the very nature of the game...it's entropy...the system changes just by the introduction of the new variable...there is NOTHING wrong with the current method of refereeing NFL games bv male referees.

A male referee sees Ray Lewis hit a running back hard and spots the ball.

A female referee seeing the exact same play throws a flag for unnecessary roughness,because in HER judgement his hit was too violent. You would advocate this?
Great...take your kinder gentler bastardization of the game of NFL football, a game that is NOT broken, and is NOT in need of gender norming, and pack a picnic basket...and then you and Holly Trueblood can tra la la down "New NFL Lane" skipping and picking up the brightly colored flags that most certainly will become the new tackling paradigm.

Last edited:
There is a ton of unnecessary mysogynism in this thread. You are talking like she is going to be under center tossing up the football. Honestly the outrage over this is ridiculous. I like how you assume that a woman will immediately think a hit is too hard because there aren't millions of women watching and enjoying football already with hits like that. Oh and then you mention her period, thats rich and pretty damn pathetic of you.

As for her reffing abilities. Have you ever agreed on a games reffing 100%? No? Well stop talking like she is going to single handily bring down the league and ruin the game. All refs suck in some way and I doubt she will be different.

There is a ton of unnecessary mysogynism in this thread. You are talking like she is going to be under center tossing up the football. Honestly the outrage over this is ridiculous. I like how you assume that a woman will immediately think a hit is too hard because there aren't millions of women watching and enjoying football already with hits like that. Oh and then you mention her period, thats rich and pretty damn pathetic of you.

As for her reffing abilities. Have you ever agreed on a games reffing 100%? No? Well stop talking like she is going to single handily bring down the league and ruin the game. All refs suck in some way and I doubt she will be different.

Do please explain how the desire, expressed by some here and accompanied by well known joke material, to keep a small all-male area of life as a small all-male area of life is misogynistic. Also:

Do you consider the Girl Scouts to be misandristic?
Are women's clubs that exclude men automatically misandristic?
Are female only scholarships and grants inherently misandristic?
Is the LPGA Misandristic for not allowing men to join?
Is Title IX misandristic?

well, call me all these names and brand me a woman hater...you STILL fail to answer the simple questions I posed...can YOU join a women's league and play on a women's team in any organized sport?...can YOU ,(I assume you are male), waltz into a ladies commode and relieve yourself freely??...yes?? tell me what country you're in, I'd like to see this first hand...no, YOU are another of these far left absolutists.,.and you're attack on my character ,calling me misogynistic, is pure post Andrea Dworkin/Neutered Nation horsecrap.

I'm saying what I feel...you don't like it, shove it.

OK...I just had a talk with some Raider fan buddies and I'd like to retract all my narrow minded, hurtful posts decrying the merits of this wonderful, highly skilled woman referee set to embark on a long fruitful career...as my good friend Raideratrix explained it .."you're either with us...or against us"....I guess I'm with you, Trixie...please...don't hit...I bruise easy...

url

can you join a women's basketball team? can you go into a woman's bathroom to relieve yourself?.,..you are another one of these absolutists.

You introduce a feminine aspect to refereeing an NFL game you CHANGE the very nature of the game...it's entropy...the system changes just by the introduction of the new variable...there is NOTHING wrong with the current method of refereeing NFL games bv male referees.

A male referee sees Ray Lewis hit a running back hard and spots the ball.

A female referee seeing the exact same play throws a flag for unnecessary roughness,because in HER judgement his hit was too violent. You would advocate this?
Great...take your kinder gentler bastardization of the game of NFL football, a game that is NOT broken, and is NOT in need of gender norming, and pack a picnic basket...and then you and Holly Trueblood can tra la la down "New NFL Lane" skipping and picking up the brightly colored flags that most certainly will become the new tackling paradigm.

Wow. The only positive that I can take away from a post as ignorant as this one is that this mindset is hopefully on the way out, and is the relic of an ignorant bygone era that can't end quickly enough.

To be clear, at no point in this post did you make anything resembling a rational point. It was a bunch of rambling incoherence by a sexist old man with nothing worthwhile to contribute to this discussion. Then again, this entire thread could pretty much be summed up as that. I'd suggest that you should be ashamed of yourself, but it's pretty clear that you lack the intellect or perspective necessary to understand why that's the case.

For anyone who still doesn't get it, I'd point out that some of the very best and most knowledgeable posters on this forum are women. Understanding and appreciating football is not gender-specific. If that's not self-evident to you, then you're probably a bigot and need to take a long look in the mirror.

Wow. The only positive that I can take away from a post as ignorant as this one is that this mindset is hopefully on the way out, and is the relic of an ignorant bygone era that can't end quickly enough.

To be clear, at no point in this post did you make anything resembling a rational point.so YOU have played on a women's basketball team and freely use women's bathrooms with impunity?Guess that IS irrational of me to think otherwise It was a bunch of rambling incoherence by a sexist old man with nothing worthwhile to contribute to this discussion.nice personal attack on someone you DO NOT KNOW who was not addressing YOU or anything you posted in this thread Then again, this entire thread could pretty much be summed up as that. I'd suggest that you should be ashamed of yourself,and I'd suggest you check your arrogance but it's pretty clear that you lack the intellect or perspective necessary to understand why that's the case.yeah, the caveman insult and the "you are stupid!@!" accusations were already posted in this thread...but at least you got in your shot too..Congrats, you saved the world

For anyone who still doesn't get it, I'd point out that some of the very best and most knowledgeable posters on this forum are women.I am well aware of this and I apologize if I offended any of our women members by stating my preference in male referees in a 100% male pro sport Understanding and appreciating football is not gender-specific.I have never thought otherwise...is this the "rational point" YOU are making? If that's not self-evident to you, then you're probably a bigotif 100% gender blind professional sports is YOUR agenda, you are welcome to it...that is not mine and need to take a long look in the mirror.you call someone you don't know, you've never met and have absolutely zero knowledge of the particulars in that person's life a bigot...and I need to look in the mirror?

I knew from the start that this was a hot button topic and I knew no matter how I couched it,hackles would be raised because of the intertwining of the politics of gender associated with this. Perhaps you are right, FTW..perhaps the future is destined that the NFL become the affirmative action paradigm for the 21st century...a league where the best male athletes in the world are chosen,coached and regulated based on the feminine as well as masculine preferences of those involved. Obviously male athletes that perform today will most certainly have to change just about every facet of their on field behaviour to fall in line with the political correctness you espouse.You are 100% naive if you think otherwise.

No thanks.

It would be interesting to see a female ref try to break up a fight. I'm sure those 300 pound grizzlies would be easy to drag away for her. Or the drama that would ensue if she got steamrolled by some RB or lineman.

NFL rule change - no refs on field.

Do please explain how the desire, expressed by some here and accompanied by well known joke material, to keep a small all-male area of life as a small all-male area of life is misogynistic. Also:

Do you consider the Girl Scouts to be misandristic?
Are women's clubs that exclude men automatically misandristic?
Are female only scholarships and grants inherently misandristic?
Is the LPGA Misandristic for not allowing men to join?
Is Title IX misandristic?

lol @ thinking those are comparable

My only problem with this is in the past there have been cases of refs getting injured out on the field due to getting caught in a scrum, getting hit by a player, etc. I would not want to see that happen to a woman out there.

Can just get Mangold's sister and that wouldn't be a worry. AND, she has football experience too.

lVukj.png

Can just get Mangold's sister and that wouldn't be a worry. AND, she has football experience too.

lVukj.png

Okay, flip that around. I don't want to see her out there because she'll hurt the players. Don't make me go into detail why!!!:eek:

Last edited:
No thanks.

It would be interesting to see a female ref try to break up a fight. I'm sure those 300 pound grizzlies would be easy to drag away for her. Or the drama that would ensue if she got steamrolled by some RB or lineman.

NFL rule change - no refs on field.

If you trust a 60-65 year old man to do the job, like this guy, or this guy, or this guy, then there's no reason why a woman inherently can't.

Last edited:
I knew from the start that this was a hot button topic and I knew no matter how I couched it,hackles would be raised because of the intertwining of the politics of gender associated with this. Perhaps you are right, FTW..perhaps the future is destined that the NFL become the affirmative action paradigm for the 21st century...a league where the best male athletes in the world are chosen,coached and regulated based on the feminine as well as masculine preferences of those involved. Obviously male athletes that perform today will most certainly have to change just about every facet of their on field behaviour to fall in line with the political correctness you espouse.You are 100% naive if you think otherwise.

I would assume that the best football players in the world are destined to be chosen and coached based on making the best football players possible. The massive, paranoid leap that you're making from "women refs on the field" to "OMG now we can't play football anymore!" has absolutely no basis in reality. Frankly, it sounds like gender equality is a real sore spot for you, and you're doing a pretty poor job of "couching" it as anything other than that.

After all, where's all of this concern regarding the other officials? They're all scabs, and they're likely to kinda suck, yet this happens to be the only instance that's making waves. We should be concerned about all of the replacement refs, and should be evaluating all of them based on whether or not they're able to effectively do the job. If the woman in question can't, then she should be let go, just like anyone else. Nobody here's saying that she should be given a free ride even if she sucks, to fill some gender quota; just that she should be held to the exact same standard as everyone else, and not disqualified because she happens to be a woman. We can't exactly afford to be choosy about our refs right now, anyway, with all of the established ones sitting at home- anyone who's actually competent works for me.

well, call me all these names and brand me a woman hater...you STILL fail to answer the simple questions I posed...can YOU join a women's league and play on a women's team in any organized sport?

No, I can't. It's discrimination, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Women's leagues exist for the same reason that weight classes exist in boxing: because men are generally more athletic than women, so women require that discrimination in order to have a league in which they can actually compete.

The reason why it doesn't typically go in the other direction, of course (and why this is a bunch of nonsense false equivalence), is because men require no such protection in just about any athletic undertaking.

...can YOU ,(I assume you are male), waltz into a ladies commode and relieve yourself freely??...yes?? tell me what country you're in, I'd like to see this first hand...

Do you actually think that this furthers whatever asinine point you're trying to make?

no, YOU are another of these far left absolutists.,.and you're attack on my character ,calling me misogynistic, is pure post Andrea Dworkin/Neutered Nation horsecrap.

I'm saying what I feel...you don't like it, shove it.

And now come the out-of-touch, overly political, senile rantings. What you feel is a bunch of misogynistic crap. If you don't like being told as much, then you can do the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back