Officiating: It looks like another miserable year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/fans/rulesschool110201.html

4) I'd like to know the "technical" difference between a chop block and a cut block?

The chop block is a two-man, high-low block. The cut block is a one-man block in close line play that is a block at or below the knees. It is legal if it is from the side or front but illegal if it is from the back.

Several of us have commented on the number of chop blocks in the Atlanta game. Since none of them were ever called, I was wondering if I misunderstood the definition, seems I didn't. Since that is the case, I'm left to assume defensive linemen are fair game in preseason or the officials are planning to carry over their incompetence from last season.

Atlanta is well on their way to earning the dirtiest O-line of the season award - I've never cared about them one way or another, but after this game I'm more than willing to root against them for all comers, even Oakland.

Box_O_Rocks said:
http://www.nfl.com/fans/rulesschool110201.html

Several of us have commented on the number of chop blocks in the Atlanta game. Since none of them were ever called, I was wondering if I misunderstood the definition, seems I didn't. Since that is the case, I'm left to assume defensive linemen are fair game in preseason or the officials are planning to carry over their incompetence from last season.

Atlanta is well on their way to earning the dirtiest O-line of the season award - I've never cared about them one way or another, but after this game I'm more than willing to root against them for all comers, even Oakland.

More strength to your arm!

But wasn't the Chair of the Competition Committee the Atlanta GM?

I have to admit that the cut block, legal or not, is a pet hate of mine. It seems a reckless play with an unnecessarily high chance of injury. It seems to rewards players who can't block properly.
Don't get me started on the fumble "don't play to the whistle rule".

Somewhat related...

I was returning home from vacation listening to Sirius NFL Radio, when one of the shows (with Gil Brandt) was live from Texans TC. Of course with the NFL's mouthpiece all you're going to get is how great everything is going for every single team, little to no criticism basically. Well they had call-ins after glowing reviews by the hosts of the new Texans coach Kubiak and the way things are going there. One of the callers asked if Kubiak, who was the OC of Denver, was going to implement the Denver blocking scheme in Houston. The hosts completely dodged the question and went off about how they've acquired depth on the o-line!

That's just Sirius NFL Radio, however, they basically speak for the league. The league is not serious about fixing the refereeing problem, or cracking down on cheaters like Denver and Atlanta. There is little we can do.

It is a disgrace that the health and careers of DLinemen are being put in jeopordy because of the cowardly deeds of a few. The rule should be: no blocking at/below the knees in the tackle box - ever.

The thing is that penalties being called have been up the past couple of years.

I read an article about mid year last year that said that penalties called were up 12% at that time. The year before they were up 5% over the previous year.

Yet they will call "touch" penalties and let chop blocks go.:eek:

In all the crying over the Falcons game, and the 196 yards per game yielded rushing, everyone seems to forget that the Falcons were the #1 rushing team in the League, on a yards per game basis, last year.

Like last year, that statistic is somewhat misleading.

First the Falcons got exactly 64 yards off of five QB scrambles, which is their usual average. Vick usually gets this much as he can't pass very well. Schaub and the other substitutes have better arms, but couple of their sub QBs are also running QBs much like Vick.

Secondly, the Falcons have adopted the dirty coaching of Alex Gibbs who is teaching the Falcons the dirty blocking methods, that he perfected at Denver. i am still waiting for rules changes but "point of emphasis" would do much to cleanup these career ending tactics.

Lastly, the Patriots did not game plan against the Falcons including QB scrambling; they didn't play anybody who was dinged up at all, including their LBs; and purposely game snaps to bottom end of the roster people to gage their NFL potential. Giving up 132 yards rushing to the RBs on 28 carries, is not good at all but its hardly disastrous.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
The thing is that penalties being called have been up the past couple of years.

I read an article about mid year last year that said that penalties called were up 12% at that time. The year before they were up 5% over the previous year.

Yet they will call "touch" penalties and let chop blocks go.:eek:

Yes, there are statistics about everything in the NFL.

But one that I haven't seen is the relative number of serious injuries suffered by teams against individual opponents. If (as I suspect) there is a hugely disproportionate number of serious leg injuries suffered by teams playing Denver, that would give some ammunition.

captain stone said:
It is a disgrace that the health and careers of DLinemen are being put in jeopordy because of the cowardly deeds of a few. The rule should be: no blocking at/below the knees in the tackle box - ever.

Not only that, but D-linemen have it tougher than ever regarding how/when they can hit the quarterback. It's almost like the position is being legislated down to traffic cones.

Mike the Brit brought up the fact that Rich McKay is involved in the dirtball competition committee.

I would have been horrified if Rich became the Commish of the NFL, as had been speculated for a while. He is a SNAKE.

I also know that he has something personal against the Pats because I saw him interviewed a couple years ago and he really laid into the Pats organization and said some mean and very inappropriate comments. I think that may have been about the time he dumped Tampa Bay in the middle of his contract, and got special permission to defect to an enemy in the same division right before the draft which, guess who.....Rich McKay was supposed to handle for Tampa Bay.

A real class act, for a real classy Atlanta organization. They seem made for each other.

captain stone said:
I don't mind a cut block, other then the risk of a player getting behind and clipping the defender, it's a clean blocking technique for getting guys arms down. Chop blocks make me froth at the mouth since the defender is being held by one man so another can line up a shot at his knees.

And those new Uni's !!! Not only do they make lousy calls they look bad now too. They look like a bad 80's new wave shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back