PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Officials getting in the way of passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Nothing infuriates me more than a catchable pass falling incomplete because the official can't get his fat a** out of the way. Yesterday that killed one of our drives, and I can think of at least 2 other times in the past few years this has happened to the Pats.

The same thing also happened in the Cle/Jax game yesterday. An official took a ball in the chest that was destined for Joshua Cribbs. A completion woud likely have led to a field goal at the end of the half.

Why has the competition committee not looked into this. It should not count as a down.

Well. To be an NFL referee you have to referee in high school/college for like 10 years, and jump through all these hoops to become an NFL ref. So that when you actually do they're all 60 years old. Blind. Immobile. Probable senile and definitely incompetent. Whats to look into?

Be happy the ref didnt square up and throw an elbow into Cassel's helmet.........stranger things have happened

"Whoever gets this sack gets an ice cold Bud Light!"

".... What?!? It was a clean hit!"

Nothing infuriates me more than a catchable pass falling incomplete because the official can't get his fat a** out of the way. Yesterday that killed one of our drives, and I can think of at least 2 other times in the past few years this has happened to the Pats.

The same thing also happened in the Cle/Jax game yesterday. An official took a ball in the chest that was destined for Joshua Cribbs. A completion woud likely have led to a field goal at the end of the half.

Why has the competition committee not looked into this. It should not count as a down.

That's an excellent point, they will change the ruling when it cost some Team a Game in the Playoffs or Super Bowl. You are right it should not count as a down.

That's an excellent point, they will change the ruling when it cost some Team a Game in the Playoffs or Super Bowl. You are right it should not count as a down.

Or when the Colts complain

It infuriates me too, but its just part of the game. If it didn't count as a down, what'd stop a QB from rifling a ball at a ref to avoid a sack, if he had a receiver in the vicinity? You'd have to bring more subjectivity into the mix, and ultimately it'd be more trouble than its worth. It's up to QBs and receivers to know where the refs are on the field and not let them get in the way. Heck, sometimes offenses use the refs to their advantage by using them as picks and whatnot. Its just part of the game.

Last edited:
Those referees should be beaten, and beaten harshly. There's no excuse for that. The fat goons.

Why not have a weight/agility test for these fatsos?

The Pats have actually used the Umpire (that is the guy in the middle who is always getting hit) as a screen for thier TE for years, they go across the middle and run right behind the umpire and he scraps off the LB covering the TE.

If the Umpire wasn't there, the defense would not be able to stop the run, because the O-line would hold (even worse than they already do) on every running play.

The ref is having to watch a ton of stuff... like potential holding on the line. He can't watch the game like a fan does and just keep himself out of the way of any pass plays.

He is part of the field and the QB, WRs, and defenders need to take that into consideration during the execution of plays. No game will ever be perfect. No officiating will ever be perfect.

Given the fact that we had very few penalties called against us in this game (none accepted), we really don't have a lot of ammuntion to be complaining. We probably should have had a couple of other penalties called against us that weren't.

Not that I think that is the reason we won... just as teams should not use petty calls against them as the reason they lost.

First thing I thought of was the ref for the LSU-SC game.

W-T-F.

I hear ya it frustrates me at the time but you have to realize how fast the ball is coming and how un-athletic they are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back