PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official WHY WASN'T KYLE BRADY HELPING THE TACKLES Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPatsFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see that he was in on half the plays. With all of the pressure TB was under the first half I remember thinking why wasn't he in there more often for his blocking ability, but apparently he was. Anyone notice him moving slowly or missing an obvious assignment or something and getting in the doghouse?

Pretty cool, I'm able to post from another dimension. My posts are showing up 6 hours prior to me typing them. Freaky!

Considering it was Indy, considering it was IN Indy, considering Freeney and Mathis were having their way with Light and Kaczur, and considering I SAW Kyle Brady in pads on the sideline so clearly he was active...WHY ON GOD'S GREEN TURF WAS HE NOT STATIONED FOR EVERY OFFENSIVE SNAP on the shoulder of either OT???

Did I miss something? Seems to me he hardly saw the field, and when he WAS on the field he was something like 20-30 yards down the field watching Gary Brackett pick off Brady - with 3 other Indy defenders closing in.

What gives?

P.S. This is yet another attempt to talk more football and less audiogate, the day after the biggest win of the season. Please help me out in this, and other, thread(s).

per reiss on offensive participation:

"TE Kyle Brady -- 29 of 58"

The playcalling sucked for the most part.

I thought that the Pats OL needed help in the first half but the Pats OL pretty much shut down the Colts DL in the 2nd half, especially so in the 4th quarter.

The improved OL play out of the Pats was the key, IMO, to the Pats comeback win.

I guess I'm just shocked not to have seen him in there more often, just plowing the way for the running game and helping neutralize the DEs in passing situations. IMO, 50% is not enough on a day like this, but I'm sure there was some reasoning behind it that we'll never know, especially if it's injury-related.

Nobody had a bigger impact on the game than Freeney and Mathis. They disrupted the offense with pressure like they haven't gotten before on Brady. But they faded fast in the second half, and Brady got the time to pick apart the defense.

I'm at a loss to explain why they were able to be so disruptive in the first half - was it our tackles? Though if they hadn't been, this would have been a shootout.

per reiss on offensive participation:

"TE Kyle Brady -- 29 of 58"

Most of those he was running down the seam into triple coverage. I can count the number of times he stayed into block on one (maybe two) hand.

It even took them a while to figure out to let Faulk chip on Freeney. IMO, they should've max protected on almost every play and let our WRs work on their DBs, no way they could've stayed with them for 4 or 5 seconds.

He did get called for illegal motion didn't he? I watched the tape afterwards and couldn't see what he did to deserve the penalty. Can anyone explain the call, or for that matter the "illegal contact" Rodney got called on when he was yards from Clark (I think it was him)? I can only guess that he was OB and ran back in, didnt realize that he ran that fast.

Most of those he was running down the seam into triple coverage. I can count the number of times he stayed into block on one (maybe two) hand.

It even took them a while to figure out to let Faulk chip on Freeney. IMO, they should've max protected on almost every play and let our WRs work on their DBs, no way they could've stayed with them for 4 or 5 seconds.

It's just ridiculous that he was running down the field more than staying in to help out that it makes me wonder if whatever may have been bothering him did not serve the Pats well in pass protection. Hope that's the case. I seriously doubt this coaching staff is as bad as they looked yesterday - and even that was pretty damn good overall.

Thanks for getting us back on track. I agree that the play calling was a little off. I would guess it had to do with us trying to spread them out.

Remember back to BB's slip of the tongue last week after the Redskins game when he was being grilled about going for it on 4th and not running it and he said "well we didnt have any TEs....." or something like that, basically implying Brady was pretty badly banged up.

So I think thats why he wasnt in exclusively as an extra tackle.

That being said ,there were certainly a good number of occasions that he was helping the tackles.

Also, if Light and Kazcur were able to control Mathis and Freeney, a tough order for sure, then this would be a moot point

Second game in a row where I would give the colts the coaching edge. Luckily, we had Randy Moss and a great 4th quarter pass rush.

I couldn't figure out why they didn't seem to be using Brady more to block the ends, either. I doubt it would be because of an injury to K. Brady, if that is the case, why are they throwing to him twenty yards downfield, in triple coverage (on the int. play, for example.) I am no doctor, but it seems to me if you are healthy enough to do one, you are healthy enough to do the other.
The Pats also didnt' seem to be having the running back stay in and block, either. I thoight teh difference in the foruth quarter was that Brady finally had time to throw, and I thought they shoudl have been trying to rectify the pass rush earlier by keeping a TE or RB in to help.
On the other hand, they won, so maybe BB knows a little more about it then I do...:rolleyes:

I doubt it would be because of an injury to K. Brady, if that is the case, why are they throwing to him twenty yards downfield, in triple coverage (on the int. play, for example.) I am no doctor, but it seems to me if you are healthy enough to do one, you are healthy enough to do the other.

I am sure the Pats realized that they had to have K Brady run a few routes to make the Colts account for him as a receiver and not just a 3rd Tackle

As for the injury, this is all based on speculation, we have no idea what his true injury is. But I think blocking defensive ends is much more physically taxing than running routes

The playcalling sucked for the most part.

Ah, thank you for pointing this out!

During the game I was complaining about the playcalling, and told my teammates (who I watched the game with) that I couldn't understand what they were doing. Also, it seemed the Patriots were very predictable on offense. I believe ten times during that game I said (verbally to those watching with me) the fallowing prior to the snap:

1) They're going to run it!
2) They're going to fake the run.

And EVERY time I was correct. Granted I've played the game for awhile, but if I'm watching the game at home and know what they are about to do, then the Colts D had to have also known.

McDaniels was using the run on the wrong down, or in the wrong situations, and again it was becoming predictable. During a previous drive the Pats had thrown the ball on first down, and ran it with Maroney on second. This would have been fine (if the plays chosen were better), but McDaniels chose two plays back-to-back that didn't seem likely to work. Then, when this next drive begins I said "Watch, McDaniels is going to throw it on first, then run Maroney on second" and sure enough that's what happened.

Prior to the half when NE tried to get all the coverage going Moss' direction then went deep to Stallworth.....it was a bad call, and a bad pass by Tom. This playcall in that situation brought confusion to those of us watching. three of us said the fallowing:

1) You've got Randy Moss, one of the best deep ball WR's in NFL history, if you're going to go deep throw it to MOSS!!

2) Why during this part of the game did the Patriots try that play?

3) Why is Brady throwing that pass? Stallworth wasn't open, and he's NOT Randy Moss!

4) Brady underthrew it.

When it comes to Kyle Brady's role. He was in the game, and he was running routes, so why didn't NE keep him in for Pass pro? Kyle is essentially another LT on the field, that's how good of a blocker he is. Also, nobody is going to confuse Kyle Brady with a good receiving TE, so why not use him for what he does best?

Let's be honest and say that wasn't NE's A game at all, and let's also be honest and say that the officiating contributed to NE's problems. That being said, McDaniels' playcalling left something to be desired.

Last edited:
Let's be honest and say that wasn't NE's A game at all, and let's also be honest and say that the officiating contributed to NE's problems. That being said, McDaniels' playcalling left something to be desired.

Yes, not our A game. Yes officiating was, to be kind, very poor.

Yes the playcalling left something to be desired, but lets be honest and admit its not just Josh, Bill is responsible too.

Good news is, the Patriots very rarely screw up game-plan wise on the same opponent twice in one year, so I think that helps our cause if we face the cry-babies again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes