PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Week 9 Giants at Pats Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. the defense had no answers for Eli Manning today at all. That is why he passed for 6 TDs, 500 yards, and completed 80% of his passes. :rolleyes:

Seriously, they made two stupid penalties in the last two drives that put the Giants in scoring position, but the first 55 minutes of the game they were great. They need to be more consistent, but for a game that was supposed to be a shootout it turned into a defensive battle most of the game.

Tunnel vision. The defense wasn't perfect, but the offense was the problem totday. Turnovers.
I completely agree the Patriots Offense was a major contributor to this loss today, specifically Tom Brady's turnovers. However, the Patriots D crapped the bed again when it mattered. That's all that matters.

We've known for a while now that if the O stutters this D would be in trouble. Two weeks in a row we've had an illustration of why the Patriots will probably not cause any meaningful noise in 2011. The points against have been greater than the points for.

All they had to do was keep them out of the endzone with a minute and a half left and 80 yards away. The game came down to that and when it MATTERED, they played like they have all year.

How can you blame the offense if they gave the defense a 3 point lead with a minute and a half left in the game?

Are you expecting our offense to score 35 points every game?

if your D sucks which everyone knows you can wil only scoring that high. dont know why u expected the D to be stellar suddenly. at the same time how can you give a pass to the O for turning the ball over 4 times ?If arrington hadnt intercepted manning this couldve been a blowout. Its a team loss and for me the offense didnt carry the defense which is what its expected to do

All they had to do was keep them out of the endzone with a minute and a half left and 80 yards away. The game came down to that and when it MATTERED, they played like they have all year.

How can you blame the offense if they gave the defense a 3 point lead with a minute and a half left in the game?

Are you expecting our offense to score 35 points every game?

Yeah, when Brady gets strip sacked and gives the Giants the ball on the Patriots ten yard line, you expect the defense to step up and make the stop to hold them to no points. I mean it wasn't the Pats'' nine yard line, it was the freakin' ten yard line. That is like 100 yards. Brady gave them an entire field to make a stop on that drive (well, 90 yards less than an entire field) and the Pats' defense couldn't make a stop. :rolleyes:

Or are we going to blame the defense for the final 5 minutes and ignore what happened the rest of the game?

Last edited:
Both of the late PI calls were completely bogus based on how the game was being called today. The game was (thankfully) based on non-calls all day and then the refs decide to call them on two completely bulls#!t plays. What a terrible way to lose.

The second one may have been week but what was Brown doing running right into him? That was just asking for the flag to be thrown.

Lets not forget to place swome more blame on Gostkowski, and for Woodhead for getting hurt and stopping the clock. I KNEW with 1:36 left, there was NO WAQY would could stop Eli!!!

Seriously why don't you just blitz him around the goalline and just line your saftey up in the corner of the endzone to he left, that is the only play he knows!!!!

Absolutely pathetic, pathetic, ...Brady's time is running out, this year is already done, could you imagine how many rings they would have won IF NOT for some of BB decisions?

Maybe they could have used Deion betwwen 2005-2010?? and of course what we got for Deion? they only guy from the U that can't plat Saftey, but still why cut Sanders and if you cut Merriweather, HAVE SOMEONE TO REPLACE HIM!!!

Chung is not a Safety he is a catcher, he just goes up and catches guys and they run over him for five more yards. Chung is living off on half of football in Miami, other than that, HE HAS DONE NOTHING!!!! I can't tell you how many times he flashes and the guy catches the ball.

Seriously: All those draft picks and three undrafted players make three bad plays and the game is over.

how can everyone blame this defense. we scored 0 points until late 3rd quarter. 4 Turnovers. The D actually kept us in the game with the arrington INT. This game is not on them.

BS...what the heck were you watching? This defense sucks...they can't stop ANYONE with the game on the line..been this way for years now.

Defense showed some improvement, but couldn't keep it up for 60 minutes. So back to the drawing board and work some more on tackling and coverage skills, and how not to screw up and miscommunicate in crunch time. Offense was bad as well, only getting on track in the 4th quarter. Tom, far from me critiquing you, but you can step up in the pocket a bit faster to avoid the rush, and get rid of the ball to the sideline a bit more if no one is open.
Mentally, there is some hangup whenever this teams plays the NY Giants, especially since SB 42. Even before that game, we had the shootout in the Meadowlands in week 17, where the defense kept the Giants in it by playing soft coverages. If they had played a bit tougher and the score had been more one-sided as it should have been, we would have ripped the heart out of that team, and they would have fallen the next week in the wild-card round.
Coaching: we need to solve this passrush stuff that seems to scramble the ability of the offense (Brady) to execute quickly and accurately. We need to diversify the routes we run, more high-low combinations to get different people open. Sometimes Brady sits too long in the pocket waiting to throw the perfect strike. On defense the emphasis should be on tackling (still), and better coverage skills - and better reading of the QB. We lack guys that quickly recognize routes and can jump and intercept balls, as well as guys that know to make a solid tackle and minimizing yards after the catch. If they can improve on this structurally, this defense might become respectable, instead of a liability. Peace out.

you can sit here and pick this and that..but let's face a few facts here...this is 8 games into the season...the secondary is a bad unit...the D line cannot generate pressure in pressure situations..the offense sputters and special teams mistakes are costing the team points...what all this says is the Patriots are NOT a very good football team..that goes to coaching...period....BB has some real issues to deal with and it starts with how the assistants coaches are getting their respective units prepared to play effectively for four quarters.

It also goes to philosophy, as far as I'm concerned, in regards to the defense. This is STILL a read and react, bend don't break defense...it's pretty obvious if you don't generate QB pressure today in this league, a whole slew of NFL quarterbacks will tear the defense apart. I really don't know if BB will adapt to this trend. Continuing to allow teams to go 80 yards for winning TD's and failing to even hold for a FG with under a minute and a half in the game is LOSING football, not winning football.

For what it's worth,the secondary situation as it developed since training camp now appears to be THE major deficiency and is leading to losses NOW. This is NOT what a functioning unit SHOULD be looking like 8 games in. It's impossible to sugar coat this, refuse to talk about it in the press or ignore.BB the GM has to held accountable.

AND THIS IS WHY BILL GOES FOR IT ON 4TH DOWN AND ONSIDE KICK IN CRUNCH TIME!!!!!!!

tHE PATRIOTS CAN'T STOP A NOSEBLEED.....So what about the first 3 quarters? That's more to do with the giants not being able to figure the defense out.

I MISS TEDDY, VRABEL, LAW, RODNEY, AND SEYMOUR SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!

if your D sucks which everyone knows you can wil only scoring that high. dont know why u expected the D to be stellar suddenly. at the same time how can you give a pass to the O for turning the ball over 4 times ?If arrington hadnt intercepted manning this couldve been a blowout. Its a team loss and for me the offense didnt carry the defense which is what its expected to do

I agree with our offense being expected to carry our defense thinking. We all go into games thinking that. But again, our offense gave us the lead with 90 seconds left. Yeah, the offense deserves some blame for their TOs, but ultimately, they put our team in position to win the game with a minute and half left.

I guess it's too much to ask the defense to stop opposing offenses from scoring with 90 seconds left?

Stellar? I don't need stellar. Serviceable for 60 minutes would be ok. 160 yards and 14 points in 5 minutes of clock time in the fourth quarter. It is hard to say, "thanks for playing well enough in the first 50 minutes to make the game close enough for your epic and massive failure in the last 10."

how can everyone blame this defense. we scored 0 points until late 3rd quarter. 4 Turnovers. The D actually kept us in the game with the arrington INT. This game is not on them.

Brady had a chance to give the Patriots the lead. He did that. The defense had a chance to win the game, or at least force overtime. It failed.

You're really sticking up for the defense?

If we had the 1st half defense in the 2nd half, and the 2nd half offense in the 1st half we win by 21.

Very frustrating loss, but in regards to the standings its not the biggest loss.
It does put pressure on us to beat the Jets next Sunday or else the division and even the playoffs could be in jeopardy.

Yeah, when Brady gets strip sacked and gives the Giants the ball on the Patriots ten yard line, you expect the defense to step up and make the stop to hold them to no points. I mean it wasn't the Pats'' nine yard line, it was the freakin' ten yard line. That is like 100 yards. Brady gave them an entire field to make a stop on that drive (well, 90 yards less than an entire field) and the Pats' defense couldn't make a stop. :rolleyes:

Or are we going to blame the defense for the final 5 minutes and ignore what happened the rest of the game?

Ausbacker has replied to this. THe offense is not without blame. Those TOs did hurt us. But at what point are you going to look at the defense and say, those guys are just not making the necessary plays when they need to?

Thought the time management at the end of the game was horrible, the Giants shud never of had the amount of time they did. As for Sergio Brown, the less said the better, without that penalty we had a least a shot!!!

Brady had a chance to give the Patriots the lead. He did that. The defense had a chance to win the game, or at least force overtime. It failed.

You're really sticking up for the defense?
All iam saying is that its a real team loss..i cant let the offense a pass just because they scored the pts in the end. there were able to get a lead because of the D. Everyone crapped the bed at times in this game so cant just blame a D which was already that pathetic as we saw last week...

iT'S THE DEFENSE FAULT JUST LIKE IT ALWAYS IS!!!

When your coach is a "defensive mastermind" and has a bad defense YEAR AFTER YEAR .............SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY FREAKING WRONG HERE!!!!!!

All iam saying is that its a real team loss..i cant let the offense a pass just because they scored the pts in the end. there were able to get a lead because of the D. Everyone crapped the bed at times in this game so cant just blame a D which was already that pathetic as we saw last week...
Most people seem to realize that it was a team loss. Most people also recognize that the O gave the D a lead with 90 seconds and 80 yards to drive. That's what disappointed me. The chance to make a name for yourself and the D (surprise surprise) failed again.

Last edited:
Thought the time management at the end of the game was horrible, the Giants shud never of had the amount of time they did. As for Sergio Brown, the less said the better, without that penalty we had a least a shot!!!

you have to score to go ahead..no way you can get cute. They did end up scoring on 4th down.

Ausbacker has replied to this. THe offense is not without blame. Those TOs did hurt us. But at what point are you going to look at the defense and say, those guys are just not making the necessary plays when they need to?

The did make plenty of plays when the needed to today. Unfortunately, you give Manning 12 possessions and you are bound to let him step up. The defense forced them to punt 7 times and intercepted them once. There is only so much you can do to ask the defense to do.

I was encouraged by the clear progress the defense made this week. This defense today is worlds better than the defense that took the field vs. Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back