PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

****** Official Week 16 Games Thread ******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, if the Colts are truly Sucking for Luck, why try to win any games until you have locked up the #1 pick? The last two weeks (along with close games this season like the one vs. the Steelers) kinda shows that they probably weren't.

All bets are off next week. No matter how much the Colts try to lose next week, they can still lose because the Jags are certainly capable to suck worse.

Again, losing to the Jags next week, a team as Rich Eisen has just said "has quit", losing to the Jags will prove who the real Colts are now won't it?

Again, losing to the Jags next week, a team as Rich Eisen has just said "has quit", losing to the Jags will prove who the real Colts are now won't it?

Not really. It depends on how the game goes. The Colts are a bad team. They can lose to a bad team even if they they try.

So it looks like Reggie is done in Indy. Reggie was choking up in that post game interview.

Stop with the conspiracies, reading that post makes me sick.

It's not much of a conspiracy, the Colts obviously have nothing to win for at this point in their season. Do they enjoy losing? No, but why not drop a game to ensure that they can draft the best QB prospect in a decade setting them up for another potential run at dominance?

I'm not suggesting that all of the players are trying to intentionally lose, in fact many of the ones that would be negatively impacted by Luck (think Peyton, Orlovsky) and other veterans that are on their way out of town are probably doing their best to win. What I don't doubt however, is that Polian and Irsay have had private conversations with Caldwell discussing the importance of the number one overall pick. What does this translate into? Lackluster game plans and improper motivational techniques. Players aren't going out and shanking plays on purpose in order to lose, but if you don't think that the management has had a hand in trying to secure the number one pick after sinking this far in the hole, you have to learn how to think.

I honestly didn't think anyone was stupid enough to believe that it's possible for a football operation of 100+ people (including staff and players) to conspire to lose games so they can draft a player who would likely outlast most of their current contracts.

But if life has taught me anything, it's that some people have no problem with being incredibly stupid.

Ugh, Jim Caldwell. Not a great coach IMHO..

TheManyFacesAndEmotionsOfJimCaldwell.jpg

Why would you expect the Colts to actually be trying to throw games to get Luck?

It's not in Caldwell's best interests. Winning a couple more games might help him keep his job for next year. Ultimately, there's really very little chance that he won't be gone by the time Luck will be making any real contribution.

And why would the current players want to "suck for Luck?" If you're a veteran on the Colts, you're not worried about what's better for the franchise four years down the road. As far as the current Colts starters are concerned, they want the team to be as competitive as possible over the next two or three seasons that they know they'll be there for. So the best scenario for them is for Manning to come back for another couple years, and instead of spending the #1 overall pick and the cap space that goes with it on a QB to hold a clipboard, and instead use the #2 or #3 pick to get someone who might help in the short term, like a stud LT to shore up the line, or finally get that pocket-collapsing 3-technique DT that the Colts' Tampa-2 has always lacked.

What I don't doubt however, is that Polian and Irsay have had private conversations with Caldwell discussing the importance of the number one overall pick. What does this translate into? Lackluster game plans and improper motivational techniques. Players aren't going out and shanking plays on purpose in order to lose, but if you don't think that the management has had a hand in trying to secure the number one pick after sinking this far in the hole, you have to learn how to think.

I'm trying to picture this conversation:

:stars2: = Irsay
:confused: = Caldwell
:nono: = Polian

:stars2:: Hey guys! Life is like a box of chocolates on a bridge over troubled waters! Nanu nanu!
:nono:: Jim, we're going to have to make a change at QB, people are starting to see right through this Painter gimmick. Can we be a little more subtle?
:confused:: Orlovsky is too good. If we put him in, we're risking everything, including the blank stare I have perfected for many years.
:nono:: Put him in. I'll talk to Adam about accidentally leaving his 'concentration' on the team bus.
:stars2:: I found some lint in my ear! It looks like jesus! Wooooooooooooooooo!
:confused:: :confused:

It's not much of a conspiracy, the Colts obviously have nothing to win for at this point in their season. Do they enjoy losing? No, but why not drop a game to ensure that they can draft the best QB prospect in a decade setting them up for another potential run at dominance?

I'm not suggesting that all of the players are trying to intentionally lose, in fact many of the ones that would be negatively impacted by Luck (think Peyton, Orlovsky) and other veterans that are on their way out of town are probably doing their best to win. What I don't doubt however, is that Polian and Irsay have had private conversations with Caldwell discussing the importance of the number one overall pick. What does this translate into? Lackluster game plans and improper motivational techniques. Players aren't going out and shanking plays on purpose in order to lose, but if you don't think that the management has had a hand in trying to secure the number one pick after sinking this far in the hole, you have to learn how to think.

But why would Caldwell go along with it? Polian and Irsay would have to assure Caldwell that if he goes in the tank for the last few weeks, he'll get to keep his job. Absent that kind of promise, Caldwell's better served trying to save some face by winning a few games down the stretch, and hopefully preserve some future hireability.

There's no way Irsay would be thrilled about promising job security to a coach who on the verge of going 0-16 or 1-15. Fans are already pretty sick of Caldwell, and while Manning's (presumed) return will certainly do a lot to restore some enthusiasm, Manning AND a new hot new coach would do a lot more, and concerns like these have big $$$ implications.

What's more, if Irsay and Polian in any way hinted to Caldwell that he should tank the last few games, they'd best be prepared to pay him some serious hush money whenever he does leave the team.

Rich Eisen says....

yeah..well..THAT proves it, I guess....Rich "Master Genius!" Eisen...uh,no...no, I'm not buying that....Rich "Howdy Doody" Eisen I can see....but "Rich Eisen says"?...nope

Oh good God. Give up the colts not trying BS. They sure as hell tried tonight. Some of you just can't admit you are wrong.

But why would Caldwell go along with it? Polian and Irsay would have to assure Caldwell that if he goes in the tank for the last few weeks, he'll get to keep his job. Absent that kind of promise, Caldwell's better served trying to save some face by winning a few games down the stretch, and hopefully preserve some future hireability.

There's no way Irsay would be thrilled about promising job security to a coach who on the verge of going 0-16 or 1-15. Fans are already pretty sick of Caldwell, and while Manning's (presumed) return will certainly do a lot to restore some enthusiasm, Manning AND a new hot new coach would do a lot more, and concerns like these have big $$$ implications.

What's more, if Irsay and Polian in any way hinted to Caldwell that he should tank the last few games, they'd best be prepared to pay him some serious hush money whenever he does leave the team.

I'm not pretending I know what happened or how it happened. If you ask me, I think Caldwell lost the team at the end of the 2009 season. The management's influence could be as simple as choosing not to replace Caldwell or even pressuring him into giving Painter more playing time to develop. There doesn't have to be a cover up or hush story, no bribery involved, but you guys automatically blurt out conspiracy. There is no complicated diabolical plan, just an apparent lack of effort.

Yeah, the Colts won tonight. Yeah, players aren't going out and shanking plays on purpose.

You're (not you specifically) still an idiot if you believe Polian doesn't want the number one pick and you think this organization has been giving its all.

Last edited:

:stars2:: Hey guys! Life is like a box of chocolates on a bridge over troubled waters! Nanu nanu!
:nono:: Jim, we're going to have to make a change at QB, people are starting to see right through this Painter gimmick. Can we be a little more subtle?
:confused:: Orlovsky is too good. If we put him in, we're risking everything, including the blank stare I have perfected for many years.
:nono:: Put him in. I'll talk to Adam about accidentally leaving his 'concentration' on the team bus.
:stars2:: I found some lint in my ear! It looks like jesus! Wooooooooooooooooo!
:confused:: :confused:

Caldwell can talk?....Who woulda known....

Caldwell can talk?....Who woulda known....

of course he can....take a closer look....every time Polian's hands move Caldwell's lips move...

I'm not pretending I know what happened or how it happened. If you ask me, I think Caldwell lost the team at the end of the 2009 season. The management's influence could be as simple as choosing not to replace Caldwell or even pressuring him into giving Painter more playing time to develop. There doesn't have to be a cover up or hush story, no bribery involved, but you guys automatically blurt out conspiracy. There is no complicated diabolical plan, just an apparent lack of effort.

Yeah, the Colts won tonight. Yeah, players aren't going out and shanking plays on purpose.

You're (not you specifically) still an idiot if you believe Polian doesn't want the number one pick and you think this organization has been giving its all.

Everybody wishes they had the #1 overall pick, you can get the youngest and best talent there. Nobody is going to risk their million dollar per year jobs to get it, though. Being a coach/GM in the NFL is something you don't get many chances at, you don't **** it up by purposely losing games for the sake of draft position. Especially when you probably won't be around to benefit from it because your team just lost 13 straight games.

Last edited:
Oh good God. Give up the colts not trying BS. They sure as hell tried tonight. Some of you just can't admit you are wrong.

They haven't tried all year, do you really think they're going to try against the Jags? Be honest now.

:nono: : We're going to have to make a change at QB, people are starting to see right through this Painter gimmick. Can we be a little more subtle?
:confused: : :confused:
:nono: : Put Orlovsky in. I'll talk to Adam about accidentally leaving his 'concentration' on the team bus.
:stars2: : I found some lint in my ear! It looks like jesus! Wooooooooooooooooo!
:confused: : :confused:

Slightly edited for increased (IMHO) accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back